mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/17/18 7:55 a.m.

I need to cut some to install a portable AC. Every time I do it, no matter if I use a bread knife, butcher knife, hack saw, whatever, I always end up with pink foam everywhere. Any tips for this?

wae
wae SuperDork
5/17/18 7:58 a.m.

I've done some work with a hot knife that has gone well, but the blades tend to be on the short side, so a little tedious.  Last time I had to cut large sections out, I used a brand-new razor knife like the big one in this picture:

You'll get some shavings, but it's usually not too bad.

(Oh, and using a torch to heat the blade in the plastic razor knife might seem like a flash of brilliance but that feeling will only last until the handle of the blade starts to melt...)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/17/18 8:02 a.m.

I can't find it online, but I have a simple plastic sheath of sorts that fits standard utility knives. It's hard to describe, but the sheath compresses the batting so that you get a nice, clean cut every time. It's simple and cheap, and I found it in the insulation aisle at Lowes Depot many years ago.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/18 8:02 a.m.

Score it with a razor blade and snap it. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/18 8:09 a.m.

You're talking about the hard foam? How thick?

I'd probably just use a hacksaw but I'd do it outside over the trash can.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/17/18 8:12 a.m.

I always use a utility knife. It'll cut through the 1" thick stuff ok, if it doesn't make it all the way through just snap the board at the line.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/17/18 8:33 a.m.

The pink rigid foam stuff. I haven't decided how thick I'll be using. I did this once before where I  used whatever the thickest we could get--I want to say it was over 2 inches--because it was going in a sliding door and needed to be really strong. This stuff is just going in a casement window, so I'll probably use 1 inch or less. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/17/18 8:38 a.m.

Ah, I missed the "foam" part. Yeah, I usually score and snap with that. You get a little debris, but it's not too bad.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
5/17/18 9:24 a.m.

Hot wire? 

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
5/17/18 9:32 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

Ah, I missed the "foam" part. Yeah, I usually score and snap with that. You get a little debris, but it's not too bad.

This. I’ve had the best luck with scoring and snapping

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/17/18 10:33 a.m.

I used a razor blade and snapped it when I trimmed panels to fit the garage door.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HakvcRcOIoC5L4iT34xr8ND1sjLXucbo9FBYlzz4UH34Oo1Gjq5faB0U2MkxRRQ5