1 2
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/18 7:17 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

My wife certainly has heard me speak of ,and name many GRMers, but she also is equipped with a mental shredder to get rid of any info that's not pertinent to her. I'd be surprised if she could name anyone. The best I could hope for would be "Oh, is he that guy that dropped by here that day with XXXXXX". 

When i call and tell her it’s Patrick, all she says is “frommmmmm?”

Carli knows almost every grm person I do because challenge, and seth and the nelsons and gimp have all slept in our living room.  Talking about Stampie is a regular occurrence around here because we’re goofy and keep selling stuff to each other

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
11/30/18 7:33 p.m.

She knows of grm but about the only member I mention by name is cousin eddie, because he lives in the same town as us. 

Patrick
11/30/18 8:11 p.m.
MazdaFace said:

She knows of grm but about the only member I mention by name is cousin eddie, because he lives in the same town as us. 

“How come you keep telling me about Iron Maiden’s mascot?”

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/30/18 8:12 p.m.

I’ve mentioned Wally a lot.  Sounds weird to see that admitted.  

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/30/18 8:21 p.m.

I’ve stayed at several of your houses or popped by for a visit, so my wife is very aware of other GRMers. laugh

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/30/18 8:30 p.m.

Mine knows nobody from this board except when I buy something from someone here.

Now if it was one of the mustang or drag racing boards we both frequently visited, she’d know more people..

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/18 8:53 p.m.

My wife has met some of you at different events, and from interesting stuff that comes in the mail. I couldn’t tell if she was relieved or concerned that my imaginary friends were real people. At first she thought it was odd that I’d meet people that I’d talked to online but I remind her that I met her online and she didn’t kill me, yet. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/18 8:53 p.m.

SWMBO might know of a few of you as "the guy you bought that POS from/sold that POS to." Otherwise, you all are collectively "my internet car friends." My parents and sister know of Duke since my sister bought a car from his daughter earlier this year. 

wawazat
wawazat Reader
11/30/18 9:55 p.m.

Just you Adrian...oh and Paul on this site.  She’s met a lot of my Subaru friends (SVX owners and Detroit NASIOC folks). 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/30/18 10:05 p.m.

Yes. My family has met quite a few of you and my best friends come from this board. You guys are good at making my obsessions seem kind of normal. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/1/18 10:53 a.m.

Yes. My mom has been down to Fasteds place with me, and I think Dana and the baby were here when wvumtnbiker stopped by. The constant online gaming helps with some familiarity, as does the gift exchange. 

I've been at multiple events with Pinchvalve but we still haven't met yet. 

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
12/1/18 11:02 a.m.

My wife came with me to the challenge in 2013 and talked to a few people that are on here.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/1/18 11:31 a.m.

Just one who got banned because he's a friend I hang out with often. Otherwise she just ignores me talking about cars and people from here.

She does know a few people from the bullet and other drag racing forums because I spent every weekend for a few years at the track 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/1/18 11:59 a.m.

I've told her about Wally, my friend in New York, who drives a bus. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/1/18 12:14 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

I’ve stayed at several of your houses or popped by for a visit, so my wife is very aware of other GRMers. laugh

She really likes the ones that take you to Disney world. 

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
12/1/18 12:30 p.m.

Cory.tate is the only person I have met from the forums but we did it in a backwards way.  I met him and then found out he was on here. 

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/1/18 3:34 p.m.
Mndsm said:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

She really likes the ones that take you to Disney world. 

Oh she’s really going to love when I go to Disneyland with my brother and his friends. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
12/1/18 4:35 p.m.

My wife has no real concept of "stranger danger" so I've brought her along to meet a couple of you weirdos before.

Speaking of Disneyland, my "spinny ride" game is at level 11. I nearly made my wife hurl on the teacups. 

The peach coloured one is the fastest. :)

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/1/18 5:06 p.m.

My son has this man-crush thing about Patrick.  "Why don't we do all the cool projects he does?"  "I bet Pat could fix this in like 10 minutes"   "I don't think Pat would have had to re flare that brake line 6 times"...

My wife usually asks "can't you ask Patrick to help you fix ___?"  When I go hang out over there, it's more like "Don't get any delusions of grandeur and think you can build stuff like him..."  Thanks dear.

He truthfully did save my ass with my AC last summer - he and his HVAC buddy both wasted a whole evening helping me troubleshoot via phone/text, and found the closest source for the parts I needed.  Asked for nothing in return.  Amazing.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/1/18 6:32 p.m.

My good buddy and 3rd gen f-body enabler knows about this place and knows about the time I met Seth at NCM. One of my other friends has played Xbox with Rico, Mndsm, and whoever else was playing GTA with us that night. 

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/1/18 7:11 p.m.

Spouse knows clemsparks and singleslammer, both of whom were internet friends before they were IRL friends.  Clem's spouse probably also knows me, given that I officiated their wedding.  And then employed her for like four years.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/2/18 2:21 a.m.

Wife is an organizer with our autox club, but doesn't drive yet. She mostly knows people I have met in person off here. She remembers Pat from Ohio from gimps wedding. Every once in a while I send her a thread off here to read because content close to her interests. 

Much amusement was had when I had to explain laughing about her idea of a getaway weekend at Berkley Springs.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/2/18 2:52 a.m.

Mrs. Hungary's met a few of ya in person and knows a few more of ya from the book of faces.  When I talk about Wally, she knows him as the guy who posts all the funny stuff.  When I talk about outrageous projects, she knows I've been in touch with M4ff3w or Clockwork.  When I talk about epic automotive road trips, she knows to blame Mezzanine.  And when I get a hankering for old dirtbikes, she knows I've been facebook stalking Burrito again.

The rest of you she knows as "the collective" and you are our source of endless knowledge and life advice.

Patrick
12/2/18 7:37 a.m.
Hungary Bill said:

The rest of you she knows as "the collective" and you are our source of endless knowledge and life advice.

whenever something weird pops up that makes me think too long Carli says “Ask the Grassroots forum they know everything”

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/2/18 8:40 a.m.

I do mention the forum occasionally, as it is my source for a lot of arcane information.  I don't go so far as to mention individuals by name however.  All of you are presumably viewed by my wife as a motley collection of car-and-tech-geeks somewhat like myself, and she's not far wrong.  I don't think she truly appreciates the staggering breadth and depth of knowledge on tap here, though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YLos4sOT6Ce5QZRXyYDXaykJZcqWhXXRN6jPzUcrJaxg1S61QJz0E3cGqaIRqwV9