1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/19 2:45 p.m.

The problem with a Honda Odyssey is that, for the same price, they have 180,000 miles on the clock. I LOVE Hondas and I know how reliable they are, but that's a bit much for me. An off-lease minivan in some flavor is going to happen someday, I want ALL the bells and whistles.  

pinchvalve
6/5/19 2:47 p.m.

I got a call from the shop and as I expected, it's just a bad shift solenoid in the transmission. They are claiming that no one has them in stock because of the recent tariffs, meaning that Donald Trump is anti-minivan. I mean, I can get them online all day, so hopefully this guy has other options.  

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/5/19 3:00 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

I know that you're trying to be funny... but don't flounder your own thread.  I'd hate to get all Lusitania on such excellence.

And lest people think they should paddle in here all Admiral Farragut style... keep in mind a mod is actively in this thread, and happy to bounce things up a level if necessary.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/19 3:20 p.m.

I'm late to the Rondo party but i don't care:

(Hotlinked for our pleasure)

pinchvalve
8/6/19 1:18 p.m.

Time for an update for all of you wondering if a $3500 minivan can exist. I am here to say that it can...but this particular Sedona isn't it.

The transmission took two full weeks to replace the solenoids, but when I picked it up there was no change to the transmission. Grrrrrrr. I only paid $1k for the trans work, so it went back in and they reprogrammed it and presto, it worked fine. Sounds like that was all it needed from day one, strike one for that shop.  

I stupidly let the shop keep working on the A/C even and after another 2 weeks and another $1k bill, it still isn't working. Strike 2 for that shop. They claim that the lines were disconnected which let moisture in and everything was shot and they had to replace a lot of lines and fittings.  Hmmm, I am not seeing any of that reflected under the hood. They wanted to replace the compressor but I refused. The compressor shaft seal is leaking and I can replace the whole unit myself pretty easily. 

They then insulted my wife, which was Strike 3 and they are not doing any work for anyone I can reach with a review.  

To pass state inspection was another $800, that was mostly for 4 new O2 sensors to pass emissions.  I could have pulled and tested each individually and saved some money, but this was my local shop that I trust and I didn't feel like dealing with it. The Kia dealer quoted me $3,500 to fix it, which is why I avoid dealers. 

With some other parts, I am under $7k which is still not bad. I see the same van with more miles for $10K so I figure I got a deal. I may trade it in on something off-lease like a Carvana minivan because I am sold on the van life, now I want all the toys. 

pinchvalve
8/6/19 1:24 p.m.

Oh, and if you haven't seen the new Petersen Museum, you really should check out the Mullin Gallery. You might recognize someone's old car...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dAnVkSDZQ5LTpBvV1aotcqJ3ObNNspNKjmqytJdMMumWkygnKz2NGUN7NPaAqXSE