1 2
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/18 8:23 a.m.

As some of you know I've been involved with Baltimore Whiskey Company which was started by friends a few months after my diagnosis. Though not a full time employee in an official capacity, I've worked closely with them with regards to recipe development, branding and marketing. The product that I most wanted to develop and honestly didn't think that I'd live to see hit market was a straight rye, a whiskey deep in history within the state that until very recently (after we started aging) had been completely void in terms of local production (sagamore is actually a Midwest based mash brought into town during aging). In February our first batch of Epoch straight rye was released, I was estatic as otherwise it was a crap month that capped a series of escalating crap months going back to October. Epoch was well received and by all accounts enjoyed by those who tried it. But to a degree I questioned the positive feedback, it's everything I hoped that it would be when developing it, but I felt a bit like someone wouldn't tell you if your baby is ugly...

Well...now I no longer have that concern as the New York International Spirits Competition awarded it a Gold Medal. 

eastpark
eastpark Reader
5/10/18 8:32 a.m.

That's awesome news, congratulations!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/10/18 8:33 a.m.

Excellent!!! I can’t wait to try some. Rye is my favorite liquor. 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
5/10/18 8:45 a.m.

Captain, do you know if Beltway liquor sells this product?

Paul B

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled New Reader
5/10/18 8:47 a.m.

Congrats!!!  That's too cool.  It's like having a kid who won the science fair, except it'll get you drunk!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/10/18 8:54 a.m.

You are a gold medalist. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/18 9:00 a.m.

congrats, capt!

i got hit by a rye train a few years ago and haven't ventured back onto the track since.   but i'm going to be in MD for a wedding in June.   got a link to where i can buy it?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/10/18 9:00 a.m.

Always a great feeling when something you feel passionate about is validated by others. All the more so if you have put forth a big effort to make it happen.Congratulations.

Pete

Saron81
Saron81 New Reader
5/10/18 11:22 a.m.

Very cool!

available anywhere locally other than the distillery?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/10/18 11:30 a.m.

Found this on line...wonder who penned itwink

very excited to submit my first review. Why? Firstly, it's still not very common to have a brand spanking new straight rye on the market. Not sourced, not small barrel, not a rebrand. I still get excited for new whiskey. Secondly, I made it. This whiskey is the light at the end of a 5 year tunnel for me, which at times got very dark. I will keep the brand story to a minimum, but I'm happy to answer any questions about the whiskey or distillery (The Baltimore Whiskey Company) in the comments. Tasted in a Glencairn while distilling future whiskey.

Nose: Some usual suspects, caramel, vanilla up front, oak and classic rye spice. Some surprises, dark fruits, particularly cherry and plum. Some red apple and ripe banana if you look for it

Pallet: Cherry candy notes all over the classic baking spice. Tropical fruit, honey, and a distinct malt sweetness. The cinnamon and clove are there, but balanced out nicely with the high malt profile.

Finish: Oak astringency builds through the dram. Really long, lingering, oily finish. Maple syrup, vanilla, and oak stick around.

Over all impressions: We had aimed to add a unique expression to the young, bold Rye category, and we couldn't be happier with our work. We use about 70% rye, and 30% malted rye. It's a unique mash bill. The malted rye has a very fruity profile that really complements the rye spice. It's a little bit like the Willet 2 year CS if I had to choose a comparison, but the unique mash bill and pot still really do make this something new. Epoch is open fermented in wooden vats and double distilled on a custom copper pot still fashioned after some old, low rectification scotch stills. Bottled and sipped at 100 proof. Cheers

And since everything goes better with pictures...

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/18 12:01 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Eli wrote that actually. He did almost all of the work as my capabilities we're limited during the majority of the distilling process. We definitely shared a vision and passion in the development in what's turned into a project and product that's more important to each of us then we could've ever assumed it would be when we set forth on the adventure. 

Beltway, Crown and Well's got good amounts of it in, but sales have been brisk so I'm not sure what their inventory is currently like, I'll send some emails this afternoon. If anyone is getting out to the foo fighters show at merriweather, I'll be venturing out to that and will have several bottles in tow. Once the new space is ready we might have to have a GRM day. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/10/18 12:22 p.m.

This is awesome!!! Nice work!!!

Also, that looks like some tasty stuff! I've never tried rye before, but I may have to now. smiley

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/10/18 12:25 p.m.

Would love to buy some. Capt, any way to ship to Illinois? Or is that a no-no?

AngryCorvair
5/10/18 12:28 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

i'll be in MD the weekend of June 16th, up near Fredneck / Thurmont area, so a trip to Baltimore is completely manageable.  LMK where I can find it.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/18 12:32 p.m.

Congratulations!!!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/10/18 12:44 p.m.

Congratulations captain! I'll have to grab a bottle when I'm in Maryland next. 

pheller
pheller PowerDork
5/10/18 12:57 p.m.

Wish it could be shipped. I'd buy some.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/10/18 1:36 p.m.

Congrats!

Is there anyway for a guy in Wisconsin to buy some? Me being that guy.

AngryCorvair
5/10/18 2:21 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

i have friends in Milwaukee.  i'm near Detroit.  If i find it when im in MD in June, I'll pick one up for you.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/18 4:04 p.m.

These folks are local to me-- quite tasty

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/10/18 4:10 p.m.

Congrats Cap'n! Wish it was local I would definitely pick some up. 

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
5/10/18 8:37 p.m.

I would love to give it a try... wonder if any of the local purveyors can get their mitts on a bottle...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/18 6:08 a.m.

Outstanding!!!

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/18 7:17 a.m.

Excellent Captain! I'll have to come check you guys out sometime, SWMBO has been wanting to go to the aquarium one weekend anyway. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/11/18 7:27 a.m.
captdownshift said:

In reply to NOHOME :

Once the new space is ready we might have to have a GRM day. 

I'm in. Congrats!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n6ez993GIrTq0VzXghV6DCCiRLdzEJrsmMnBts9BokraKdesJRQwlnQJgUuIsPtp