1 2
Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
9/5/18 9:19 a.m.

Hey GRM, it's been about 5 years since I played around in these parts. A LOT has changed. I'll try to recap what's happened since then, in brief. You know, if you care. 

So, I was working at Stoddard as a Porsche parts dude for a long time, and they moved me to Reno, NV, where I still live. For about ten years I've been writing nights and weekends, and in January of 2017 I moved to writing full time when I got a gig writing for TheDrive. That relationship slowly fizzled out, but I was hired as a regular freelance contributor to Jalopnik last October. I write there every Sunday, and recently got pulled to weekdays where I cover the night shift on Monday, Tuesday, and every other Wednesday. 

Perhaps more important for you folks, and definitely for me, I co-founded a really cool car show called Radwood. We were inspired by the wildness that goes on at Goodwood, both the Festival of Speed and the Revival. They have the 50s and 60s covered, so we decided for a few reasons to cover the 80s and 90s. We're in America, and what's more American than the brash and bright colors of the rad era? It's been a little over a year since our first show (about 150 cars), and we recently had our second San Francisco show (about 600 cars and 5000 people). A couple weeks ago, we were a part of that Gridlife Festival thing - GRM coverage here -> https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/life-grid-2018/ We're currently planning our Philadelphia show on October 14th, and our Los Angeles show on December 1. 

So now, the project cars! Things have progressed in this arena, as moving to a nice climate is a great way to have more time to work on stuff and more time to drive them. Ohio and Michigan is terrible. 

1995 Audi S6

This dumb beast has been lifted 7 inches from when I first bought it (it was on 2-inch lowering springs before), and fitted with OZ Racing rally wheels and BFG K02 tires. It's ridiculously bad, but so much fun at the same time. It has more overall ground clearance than a stock Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I love it. 

1976 Porsche 912E

I bought this car non-running from a friend when he needed the garage space. It needed the fuel drained out and a new fuel pump relay to run. I've driven it several thousand miles in the last two years, including a 7000-mile cross-country road trip. 

1997 Porsche Boxster

This is a 2.5-liter 5-speed base model car that I bought a few years ago. Someone hit me in a parking lot and smashed up the bumper. Their insurance paid almost what I bought the car for, and I fixed it myself, so I basically had a free car at that point. I have some REALLY dumb ideas for where this project is going to go. 

I'm heading to LA to pick up a non-running Porsche 924S this weekend that I'm going to swap a VW 1.8T into as a track car. And the Radwood co-founders bought a 1984 944 Euro-spec to share. And I'm working out a deal with my little brother to buy his 1986 Fox Mustang. I grew up a Ford kid, so it's kind of funny that I ended up with a stable full of Euro cars. 

Since I was last on the forums I got married, bought a house, and have eaten metric tonnes of pineapple-topped pizza. 

So, what have I missed? Is ignore still a thing?

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/5/18 9:27 a.m.

Welcome back. Ignore has been replaced with the “Please stop hotlinking”. Marge still keeps a tight lid on politics. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/5/18 9:29 a.m.

What up Brad? 

I see you around the funny pages every so often. Good to have you around again! 

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
9/5/18 9:31 a.m.

Cool stuff on the Radwood creation.  I got turned onto it a few months ago when someone pushed a picture of our very 90's looking Jeep there on Instagram and have enjoyed following along since.  It is great to relive the cars that we grew up with and start to realize that they are becoming classics and not just all old beaters.

I guess it makes perfect sense but also cool to learn how Jalopnik has on duty staff covering standard shifts.  From this side you really just think of it as the internet and not on the beat reporters covering nights.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/18 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Maroon92 :

Welcome back!!!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/5/18 9:44 a.m.

Welcome back!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/5/18 10:15 a.m.

Pineapple pizza is still an abomination, and 1992 Maroon Crown Vics have appreciated in value about 4000%. 

Only one of those statements are true.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
9/5/18 10:19 a.m.

What do you have to tell someone who wants to be a writer but doesn't think they should be a writer even if they can sorta write or ramble? Do you see a demand for writers in the modern media space?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/5/18 10:36 a.m.

Up your nose,

With a rubber hose!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
9/5/18 11:11 a.m.

Welcome back, and nice work with Radwood! I've been seeing a lot of stuff on the social about it, and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that "one of ours" is involved. yes

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/5/18 11:17 a.m.

What, no pix of the MG?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/18 11:35 a.m.

Welcome home.laugh

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/5/18 12:44 p.m.

Welcome back/home/etc!

I recently joined the Radwood group on FB. I am digging it. A LOT. Nice work!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/5/18 1:14 p.m.

Welcome back!

Do you hang out with the Driving-while-awesome guys as well?? 

I have been looking at doing their coastal rally, and for some reason I remember reading about, what I believe is, your 912 driving through Tahoe while snowing or something similar. If so, I never put two and two together until now. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/5/18 1:24 p.m.

Welcome back Maroon92,

I believe you probably met my friends Brad, and Andrew from the Auto Off Topic podcast at Radwood in Atlanta. Brad has been talking me into going down to Philly for the next one. I'm not sure I want to drive my Delica that far, but I'm contemplating it. Might take in a Flyers game that same weekend.

By the way I read the article about touching cars, and I agree. Cars should be driven, and touched, not wrapped in blankets or diapers, and kept away from people. Now do I want some kid crawling all over my car, probably not, but every year at the Japanese car day in Brookline MA (Larz Anderson Park) I let the same autistic kid climb in the Delica, because he just loves it so much. I think it makes his day, and I know it makes mine to see him so excited about my weird Japanese van.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
9/5/18 2:18 p.m.

Braaaaaaaaaaad.  We've missed you man.  Michelle and I have been following your Radwood efforts.  Nice work to say the least!  

BTW - you should come to the Daytona 24 this year.  Just sayin' wink

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/5/18 2:35 p.m.

Welcome home. 

Now the pleasantries are out the way, what really happened to Cammed and Tubbed and you guys still own me a C&T sticker for posting this!!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/5/18 2:39 p.m.

Great work on Radwood. I've heard some VERY good things and I'm crossing my fingers that you somehow decide that you seriously need to invade Texas so I can drag out the 911 and be awesome. 

There are so many possibilities with that Boxter...........

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/5/18 2:43 p.m.

Welcome back! I've read some of your stuff and never put 2 and 2 together. Very cool stuff, good job!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/5/18 2:47 p.m.

Welcome back!!!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/5/18 3:30 p.m.

P.S.  We need a SE Michigan Radwood event.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
9/5/18 3:38 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

P.S.  We need a SE Michigan Radwood event.

I told him the same thing!!!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/5/18 4:40 p.m.

Glad to see you back on the forums! Been following the Radwood scene in instgrams, would really like to attend one someday! yes

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/5/18 6:20 p.m.

I don't do carshows, It's not that I dislike them, it's that they tend to be the same thing, same cars, same people different lot. You've managed to create something different, something special in Radwood. I'll be seeing you October 14th. I'll be the one there with the EGT, likely napping. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/18 7:26 p.m.
mtn said:

Pineapple pizza is still an abomination, and 1992 Maroon Crown Vics have appreciated in value about 4000%. 

Only one of those statements are true.

Amen!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5qf7QxNrRnCT8WwqAqiNbcidYVNP9B2f8YPC845rvkN3PV4vOhqXa9bXaJ3SyOn7