logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/15/18 3:41 p.m.

While working on the CJ5 today I kept hearing a creak noise.  Eventually the noise showed itself when a chunk of drywall fell from the ceiling.

After confirming no water leaks, and making sure George Clinton didn't stop by to tear the roof off this sucka, I think I know what happened but figured I would bounce it off the hive.

For some reason, only 3/4 of the garage has insulation in the roof.  (I assume the previous owner ran short at the end of the project).  The plastic barrier in on the uninsulated part has a decent amount of condensation build up and the drywall that fell was fairly wet.  The plastic barrier on the insulated sections is dry.  

Over the last couple days I have been in the garage for extended periods and running the heater.  The warm front meeting the cold front finally got the better of me!

It would seem all I need to do is let it dry out and throw some insulation in the bare spots.  Am I missing anything or is that a sound plan?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
1/15/18 4:17 p.m.

Yeah, thats wrong... Is there other access to the ceiling area to insulate, or are you going to have to do it through the hole that has resulted?  Either way, you need a bag or two of R20 fiberglass.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/15/18 4:58 p.m.

In reply to logdog :

No idea why it fell, but your description of the repair is accurate. You can install fiberglass batts from below before closing up the hole. 

Don't try to dry out and reuse the drywall. That won't work. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/15/18 5:43 p.m.

Send me your drywall pieces. I can powder coat them gloss white. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/15/18 5:55 p.m.

Hallelujah?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/15/18 6:07 p.m.

Is it's a combustion heater is it vented? You'll have moisture problems (though not usually that bad) no matter what with a unvented heater. 

logdog
1/15/18 6:32 p.m.

We have access to the attic area.  Thats how we confirmed the parts with insulation were dry.  Looking at the drywall that fell and the drywall around it I think we are going to have to replace a few pieces. sad

I use  a non vented propane heater.  I turn it on and off while I am working.  

logdog
1/15/18 6:32 p.m.
DrBoost said:

I also need that popcorn texture they sprayed on.  Can you do that too?

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/15/18 7:29 p.m.
logdog said:
DrBoost said:

I also need that popcorn texture they sprayed on.  Can you do that too?

Absolutely. The powder coating process will dry it out, allowing the (now) dry(er)wall to accept the popcorn texture 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
1/16/18 10:43 a.m.

I have heard that plastic like that is good in walls, but bad in ceilings, at least in our climate (im in ohio so you and i deal with the same garbage weather as you.) Hopefully someone that knows more than me will chime in to confirm or deny.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
1/16/18 12:22 p.m.
logdog said:

I use  a non vented propane heater.  I turn it on and off while I am working.  

Get rid of the non-vented heater!!  When we enclosed the back porch to make a family room, the wife insisted on putting in a non-vented propane fireplace.  Looked great and kept the room nice and warm.  But in two years we had to redo all the drywall ceiling.  And it had 2' of insulation above it!  Needles to say, the non-vented fireplace was replaced with a vented stove.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3cgGMa0MBXg3wI0WQBZdxfySkb4w41ucbmbr64uj8mQ25MWmLCB8ma26PSWu8umr