mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
2/27/14 3:03 p.m.

I found out this am that I will be RA'd officially at the end of March( RA'd = "Resource Actioned" = Laid off ). Ive been in the IT field since the 1994-ish and with this company most of that time period. Most recently, Ive worked in the QA dept as a software test engineer, but have also spent several years as a systems admin.

I live in the Research Triangle Area of North Carolina, and would kinda like to stay in this area for awhile but nothing is set in stone. I think that I'd like to stay in QA or maybe get back into an admin role. I'd kinda be interested in a Business Analyst role but havent looked into it much.

Please throw any openings that you hear about my way.

Thanks in advance.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/27/14 3:15 p.m.

Can't throw anything your way, but best wishes. I've found that good work is always available for an awesome IT guy.

TLNXTYM
TLNXTYM New Reader
2/27/14 4:18 p.m.

Been there, I feel for ya.

Try these:

linkedin.com to network, and indeed.com to search several job sites at once.

Definitely network with as many people as possible. My last 2 jobs have come through someone I knew.

That's all I got. Hang in there.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
2/27/14 4:32 p.m.

Damn man, I feel for ya. I've been there too. Let me know if there's anything we can do to help.

• Lee
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/27/14 4:40 p.m.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the job search!

Any web development skills? My department here might have a DevOps position available for someone with both sysadmin and web dev skills. We're pretty far from NC, though...

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
2/27/14 5:07 p.m.

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I really appreciate it.

My last few jobs have come by word of mouth, so I've been telling everyone that will listen and would be willing to help.

Ive been talking and emailing people since I found out. I somehow dont feel "bad" about this one(this make #6 or #7) just kinda nervous as to how things will play out and trying to remember all my loose ends that need to be tied. Ive got alot of equip that I need to label and publish documents for, need to find another cheap laptop for the short term, etc. All the little things..

@Tim - No web dev experience. We've had dedicated web people at most of my past jobs and I never got enough exposure to really be useful. I also need to clean up my linkedin page and resume. And I forgot about indeed.com. They're going on the list as well.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/27/14 5:53 p.m.

I am very sorry to hear this mrwillie. Best of luck to you, it sounds like you are covering your bases.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/27/14 9:08 p.m.

MetLife is opening a HUGE facility in RTP and is hiring everybody for everything except the job I am looking for.

http://jobs.metlife.com/raleigh-durham-jobs

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
2/27/14 10:35 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy: Two things: 1) Thanks for the info!! 2) Tell me which job were you interested in so that I dont step on your toes. Cause you know that once I walk in the door the job is mine...just sayin.

peter
peter Dork
2/28/14 1:03 a.m.

Shot you a message. We have such a difficult time finding software test engineers, I can't imagine you'll have trouble landing somewhere awesome. Best of luck.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
2/28/14 7:05 a.m.

Best of luck to you. If you can't get a job in RTP, then the rest of us are in real trouble.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/28/14 11:24 a.m.

In reply to mrwillie:

I'm in Telecommunications with a focus on call center design, engineering and support. They have jobs for that, just not in the area at this time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TTaxxDIOr08OAWYasCMlkxxTTiVpWYl8wjvEOTlPwQFG8y9FbuAsGMWKg49dwm9y