1 2 3
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/20/08 12:23 p.m.

Oil filter+block+remains of old oil filter seal = THAR SHE BLOWS!

http://forums.delphiforums.com/maxcommport/messages/?msg=206259.1

All they have to do is find a way to make the oil pans fall off now.

BBsGarage
BBsGarage Reader
6/20/08 1:08 p.m.

What would you expect for a 10 minute oil change?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/20/08 2:18 p.m.

once they boogered up my wifes oil pan drain by breaking the welds on the captive nut.. Moron told me there is a TSB out on it and saturn should warranty it... Wrong thing to say to me.. BUT!

I had such a problem dealing with them I told them, it's not worth it for me to sue you over a $200 oil pan. And I've never used them again. (Wifes car when we were dating in college)

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/20/08 2:41 p.m.

My neighbor worked for a local lube place while he was attending seminary. I wouldn't let him change the oil in my lawnmower. Nice guy, and we love him as a neighbor, but holding tools is not something he should do. You don't want to see his work with hammer and nails, trust me. They will hire any warm body. You take your chances in those places, which is why I still do all my own oil changes.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
6/20/08 2:49 p.m.
ignorant wrote: once they boogered up my wifes oil pan drain by breaking the welds on the captive nut.. Moron told me there is a TSB out on it and saturn should warranty it... Wrong thing to say to me.. BUT!

Wow...deja vu! Must be in their policy and procedures manual!

I was a service advisor at an Oldsmobile dealership back in the mid 80s. I got a call from a fast lube place (might have been JL but don't remember) asking for warranty procedure on a stripped out oil pan on a Quad 4. I told them there was none, they threatened to sue and I said, "Show me the TSB or give me the number and I'll be happy to handle it!" They never did call me back

Salanis
Salanis Dork
6/20/08 2:58 p.m.
ignorant wrote: once they boogered up my wifes oil pan drain by breaking the welds on the captive nut..

How the hell do they do that? What nut were they trying to loosen? The only one they should bother with is the drain plug. Seem to me you just need to take a socket wrench to one. If that doesn't do the job, use a longer wrench.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/20/08 3:07 p.m.

Man, they have made me SO much money over the years. A large chain which I won't name but it rhymes with Gall Fart bought 2 Subaru transaxles (they can't seem to understand the position of the different drain plugs and you'd think the stinky oil would be some sort of clue) and a Chrysler 4 banger (wrong filter, it blew loose and dumped the crankcase) from me.

I have heard that whole 'warranty a broken captive nut weld' thing as well. I like hearing people come in with a drip and they say '(insert favorite quick lube place) says the aluminum oil pan is too soft and this is supposed to be under warranty'. Nope, 'fraid not.

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
6/20/08 3:10 p.m.

a guy i worked with at autozone said when he went to work at jiffy lube, they automatically made him a shift manager since he didn't have a criminal record (!)

Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
6/20/08 3:46 p.m.

I have started changing my oil, the mazda has a cartridge type oil filter and the clowns at JL cracked the lid for it somehow... I will never go back

Type Q
Type Q Reader
6/20/08 4:15 p.m.

Friends don't let friends use Jiffy Lube.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/20/08 5:51 p.m.

Yeah I learned my lesson. Even if the woman is 200 miles away, I will be there through all car maintanence. I also learned, that it's just too much of a hassle to prosecute these guys for an oil pan R&R and they count on that.

I will say that now, 5 years later.. I would have freaked out on the people in the store and would threaten to take a dump on the floor right in front of all the people unless they fixed it...

and I got no problem with poopin in public.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/20/08 9:33 p.m.

A few years back, I bought a used Accord from a woman I knew well. She always took it to the local quick change place. The first time I changed the oil, I removed the filter and found that there were two filter gaskets between the filter and the block. Apparently, during a previous oil change the filter gasket stuck to the block and they just left it on there and crushed it down with the new one. I can't believe that it didn't leak.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
6/20/08 10:02 p.m.

they stripped out a friends oilpan threads (aparrently reinstalled the plug with an impact)

they put the wrong viscosity in my subaru (thank GOD i caught that one)

a different place made me wait an hour for them to get my car out of the shop (it literally sat in there for an hour) for a fracking oilchange!!! i dont think anything went wrong, i havent caught anything, but at least it was the grandammit, maybe it gave the bastards tetanus.

i havent gone back, its either ME or it goes to the stealership where i only allow the tech I autocross with to touch it.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/20/08 10:52 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: a guy i worked with at autozone said when he went to work at jiffy lube, they automatically made him a shift manager since he didn't have a criminal record (!)

I made it thrue 2 years of auto tech at boces is High school and one semester of auto tech at SUNY Morrisville, I wonder if I could get a job at one of these places.

On second thought, I think I will stick with selling fish at Wegmans

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
6/21/08 8:48 a.m.
neon4891 wrote:
Strizzo wrote: a guy i worked with at autozone said when he went to work at jiffy lube, they automatically made him a shift manager since he didn't have a criminal record (!)
I made it thrue 2 years of auto tech at boces is High school and one semester of auto tech at SUNY Morrisville, I wonder if I could get a job at one of these places. On second thought, I think I will stick with selling fish at Wegmans

They say a man should always dress For the job he wants. So why am I dressed up like a pirate In this restaurant?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/21/08 9:02 a.m.
neon4891 wrote:
I made it thrue 2 years of auto tech at boces is High school and one semester of auto tech at SUNY Morrisville, I wonder if I could get a job at one of these places. On second thought, I think I will stick with selling fish at Wegmans

wegmans has better benefits and growth.

I will say that a very unscruplous engineer I know, was fired for taking money from contractors, said he managed a jiffy screw place once. All the oil came out of one tank. Sure they had different hoses in the bay, with big signs on them displaying synthetic or some other type/brand of oil. one tank..

ONE FREAKING TANK..............

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
6/21/08 2:23 p.m.
mel_horn wrote:
neon4891 wrote:
They say a man should always dress For the job he wants. So why am I dressed up like a pirate In this restaurant?
kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout New Reader
6/21/08 2:29 p.m.

In high-school I took my sister's car in for a quicky oil change and the guy said it would be $17 or $10 without a receipt???? Put the car in drive and that's how I learned to do my first oil change.

If that wasn't a lesson enough, the previous owners of my Volvo had the oil changed at one of those places. When the time came, guess how hard it was to get that giant 1" drain plug off? It took a breaker bar with a pipe on the end, and my feet pressed against the wheel to get that thing to budge.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
6/21/08 4:06 p.m.

i dont go to jiffy lube, but i go to a local place myself and i have never had any trouble with them, i also tend to stand and watch what they do also and i talk a lot with the guys because they always are amazed by delta for some reason....

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/21/08 7:25 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
neon4891 wrote:
wegmans has better benefits and growth. I will say that a very unscruplous engineer I know, was fired for taking money from contractors, said he managed a jiffy screw place once. All the oil came out of one tank. Sure they had different hoses in the bay, with big signs on them displaying synthetic or some other type/brand of oil. one tank.. ONE FREAKING TANK..............

And this year Wegmans is rated #3 best company to work for in the country. They are starting to exspand into Virginia. So If I stick around, It me give me a chance to move back there

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
6/22/08 12:51 a.m.

My first experience working formally on cars was at a local quick lube place. They were amazed at what I could do without having any "previous experience." I was amazed at how some of these people actually had jobs working on vehicles.

Even more amazing the amount of people in Bimmers, Mercedes, Land/Range rovers, and and and PORSCHES that would come there to get their oil changed. I live in/around a pretty snooty area which i s why we got all those cars but still. I laughed at the people who brought their Porsches in there.

Working at a dealership I've worked with some people who are not as well rounded in being a moron they are more on the careless side. Get cars in/out as quick as possible to make that $ who cares if anything else is wrong.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/08 1:10 a.m.
neon4891 wrote:

Your over qualified for Jiffy Lube. Stay with the fish. My brother in law is head fish monger for a Price Chopper up near Albany and it pays pretty good.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
6/22/08 10:09 a.m.

I have one of those quickie lube places down the street from the parts store I work at. We love those guys, because of the number of oil drain plugs we sell the customers that leave that place.

One story I heard was that the quickie lube place is not responsible for paying for stripped out oil pans on vehicles that have over 100,000 miles. Reason behind this I guess is if the vehicle has that many miles, they figure it didn't get regular maintenance and the parts were going to fail anyway.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/22/08 10:25 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: And this year Wegmans is rated #3 best company to work for in the country. They are starting to exspand into Virginia. So If I stick around, It me give me a chance to move back there

There are a bunch here. Thank god, because nowhere else can I get a 14" meatball sub for 7 bucks.

RogerB
RogerB HalfDork
6/22/08 11:00 a.m.

I guess I was just lucky. I used to take my Integra to JL all the time and never had a problem. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't take a car near that place. I do all the maintenance on the Contour myself and the Sienna goes to the dealership for service, at least until it's out of warranty.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UFF5QAaB7BnTjoVkWtDXCTaGAmhXRBIH7EoQHKpDlm7ZoYQ9qcSzzaVwDWrAsZPP