1 2 3
P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/09 1:15 p.m.

Well I've been laid off twice this year and spent the last 2 months working my butt of on side jobs while interviewing like crazy for something a little more permanent. I finally caught a break this week, problem is it's two breaks.

I got a solid job lined up, starts Monday. The pay is low, but I can make it work and there's a bonus at the end big enough to pay off my one student loan. It's an 11-month contracted position co-running a local financial help center. The work looks enjoyable, I hit it off with the supervisor and her boss immediately, and it's in-town. I have to say yes or no by Friday and it's a one-shot deal. I start on Monday or don't get it at all since it's through a service industry grant. It would look awesome on my resume and provide for worry-free work (no chance of layoff).

Here's the problem. About a month ago I sent an application into an unknown automotive aftermarket company. After making it through some online quizzes and random stuff they were doing to weed out the fakers I was notified today that I had made the Top 20 and the owner wanted to talk to me. I was also informed of what company it was and holy cow if it isn't a HUGE opportunity for me, especially considering the car I race. This job would be high-stress, and it would take every ounce of my know-how to pull off from both the mechanical and business sides (it's a really high position). It's also a 50-mile trip to work each way.

Do I walk away from a guaranteed thing after months of fruitless searching for a 1-in-20 shot at my dream job?

andrave
andrave Reader
5/27/09 1:19 p.m.

take the sure thing and continue to pursue the other. I know that for me, i was faced with a similar decision. I told the temporary job that I had this great offer- they were actually excited for me. They had obviously liked me enough to offer me the job and so they told me to go ahead and start with them, and they appreciated me telling them that I might leave for the other position.

If you can't just leave the temporary position halfway through, continue to pursue the other job. If they offer you the job, tell them you can start in XX weeks when your job is through. Tell them you are excited at the opportunity and can't wait to start, but you aren't the kind of man that would leave the temp place hanging, and you have a commitment to finish. I would think they would appreciate that.

I don't think you have to choose right now... but if you have to choose, I think you have to choose the guaranteed thing.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
5/27/09 1:24 p.m.

Dream jobs are nice. It should be demanding and high stress, otherwise any goofball could do it and we'd all have dream jobs. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You don't have kids or a wife, so you would only be starving yourself if you fail. A 1 in 20 shot for a career level job would beat an 11-month temp/contract position for me anyhow, regardless of the field.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/09 1:24 p.m.

It's not a temp job, it's a contract job. If I want it I have to start Monday and I have to work for the next 11 months, period. Taking that job would pretty much ruin any chance of the automotive one. I was fully prepared to go for it, I even have an appointment today to pick up the contract to look over.

But when I found out who is hiring for the automotive one I nearly had a heart attack.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
5/27/09 1:29 p.m.

I'd take the automotive chance, I bet it's racing beat. Let the guessing game begin lol.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
5/27/09 1:35 p.m.

At 28 I gave up my sure thing to take a big chance, go back to school and chase my dream. It broke me fincially, was a final nail in my marrige's coffin and I spent 8 months without gas, and hence no heat or hot water.

That was 10 years ago.

Totally worth it.

You are single and the time will come when you are not and cannot afford risk. You do not want to be there and ask the "what if" question.

Answer that question NOW while you can, while it is still only you, while you still have passion and drive.

Even if the answer is no (in my case it actually kinda was) you will be happier than not knowing. This board and this magazine were all the result of a young guy chasing his dream and taking his wife into it.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/27/09 1:40 p.m.

Racing Beat is over 1000 miles from P71...jeez, you need practice being an internet creeper.

My guess is CorkSport...Googlemaps says 39 miles, but if P71 is actually based about 10 miles north of Kelso it adds up to 50...

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
5/27/09 1:49 p.m.

50 miles away? Funk that. It would take a truckload of benjamins to make that worthwhile.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/09 1:49 p.m.
P71 wrote: It's not a temp job, it's a contract job. If I want it I *have* to start Monday and I *have* to work for the next 11 months, period. Taking that job would pretty much ruin any chance of the automotive one. I was fully prepared to go for it, I even have an appointment today to pick up the contract to look over. But when I found out who is hiring for the automotive one I nearly had a heart attack.

I was going to offer my opinion, but, first, what would happen if you left the contract position after, say, a month? I don't know if your state is an at-will work state or not, but what could/would they do to you if you left?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/09 1:57 p.m.

The contract job is through Americorps. If I leave it before the termination of the contract it's pretty bad. I like the position they have and think I would enjoy it.

However, if the owner of the automotive company had straight out offered me the job it would be a done deal. I would take it and call Americorps with a "so sorry" since I haven't signed the contract yet.

But I don't have the automotive job, I have a 1/20 chance of it.

Also for clarification I am not "single". I have been with my girlfriend for over 5 years, we've owned a home together for over half of that, and she has a position here for another year at least (teacher) though we are planning on moving south next year. She supported my dreams when i had my own very small company and things worked out great.

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
5/27/09 1:57 p.m.

Here's the deal- location isn't an issue. You can move. So lets get that out of the question. (or just deal with the commute).

Dream job. Better make very, very sure that it will work out as you hope, as you may find that there's no time to do any of what you like to personally do vs. professionally. Not to say that this isn't for you, just make sure it is.

Not sure what to say about the sure job. Although, I would suggest that another probably would come along.

Personally, RIGHT NOW, I would call the dream job to find how realistic it is to get the job, and tell them flat out that you have a position that starts on Monday, and you need to know how realistic it is to turn that job down. If honesty is not their cup of tea, it's better to know now than in 6 months or 6 years.

Tough choice, for sure. You've got 2 days to check out the dream job more before having to commit to show up on Monday, right? Call. A lot.

E-

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/09 2:04 p.m.

My interview with the owner will happen within the next 26 hours so I will obviously wait until that happens to see how it goes. I already informed him of my other offer and he seemed receptive to the time crunch I'm on here.

I guess if he offers it to me I'll take it, but I'm worried about a "I like you, but we have to narrow it down further, can you come back in a week?" deal or something.

Oi.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/09 2:12 p.m.

Ask the automotive guys "Are you willing to buy today?"

Find out as much as you can about this company as well. You might find that they're not quite as impressive on the inside as they are on the outside, which would make your decision easier.

andrave
andrave Reader
5/27/09 2:18 p.m.

I had a job offer with a E36 M3ty company and I had just interviewed with another company at the time. I called the company and told them I had another offer and even though they hadn't even INTERVIEWED all the other clients yet they hammered out an offer for me before the deadline for the other offer expired.

Its like buyin a used car where the dealer tells you someone else is coming to look at it in an hour. Youre a limited availibility commodity. Adds to their sense that you are desireable. I'd force their hand.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
5/27/09 2:39 p.m.

I agree with above and would force the dream job guy to make a decision. You always have the sure thing.

On another note; I worked with a guy in the Chicago area that had a dream of working for Mickey Mouse in Orlando. He was an HVAC guy and finally got the job and was thrilled.

He moved down within 4 weeks, got an apartment, and started working.

One year later, I go to the mall in Chicago and he is there working at the Store that Mickey Mouse owns. He said his "dream job" was not what he thought and was back within 3 months.

Go figure.

Oh yeah, that bonus of paying off your school loans is bigger than you think..........if you put that same amount monthly into an IRA or Mutual fund; that might grow to $xxx when you are 65 years old?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/09 2:46 p.m.

My loan is peanuts. I could pay it off now but why do that when Uncle Sam pays my interest on it for another year? It's the absolute only debt I have besides my house. No car payments, no credit cards, no personal loans, nada. I was offered a Financial Center position, remember?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/27/09 2:55 p.m.

What's the penalty for non-completion of the contract job?

You understand that a 1 year contract is not a permanent job, right?

The bonus is DEFINED and WRITTEN, right? Then that dollar value is pretty easy to calculate.

Hard to imagine a government agency like Americorps not allowing an out.

Have you ever been self employed? Do you understand the pluses and minuses?

Don't commit to the contract job until you interview for the permanent one. Ask the boss the direct questions you need answers to. Make sure he understands that you are not pressuring him, but you need answers immediately.

He'll probably appreciate your strength and directness, yet wish he could have a little more time for the decision.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
5/27/09 3:29 p.m.
Keith wrote: Ask the automotive guys "Are you willing to buy today?"....

I have to agree. First of all you have little to lose. Secondly, putting a little reverse pressure can be a good thing. It's kind of like how woman get more interested in you if you are paying attention to other women. It shows you are worthy and that someone else wants you (of course you are likely talking about two entirely different fields, but it still can work).

Oh, and find out someway to bring up a Miata in the interview. It's a kind of job interview pheromone word....

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/09 4:08 p.m.

Oh and tell them you have been published on the GRM website almost 1900 times, that impresses them.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/09 9:00 p.m.

Talked with the significant other about it and she's all for the automotive job if it happens. Gotta see what happens if/when the owner calls tomorrow.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
5/27/09 9:11 p.m.

Dream job, definitely.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
5/28/09 6:47 a.m.

I say go for the dream job if possible. You've already shown you can still get by doing odd jobs and such.

I left State Farm (cushy benefits, vacation, etc), to go to work at MerCruiser as a contract Tech Writer (same pay, no benefits, vacation, no OT, etc so basically a huge pay cut).

After 10 months at MerCruiser I was able to get a job with L3 Communications as a Tech Writer (which I really like by the way), once I factor in getting paid for OT (not much just a few hours a week) I think I'll clear something on the order of about 40% more this year than last. And I'm back to having good benefits, vacation, personal time, 401k, etc.

Like the others have said, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
5/28/09 10:52 a.m.

If your going to go - go big.

This reminds me of the time after I got layed off. I was hired by a big company but since they had trouble with the quality of people they had hired in the past they told me they'd pick me up as a temp. They said that It wouldn't last the full 90 days. If they liked me they'd make me permenant much sooner or they'd let me go. Not having a warm and fuzzy about a temp job I agreed but kept looking. I started the temp job on a Monday. On Tuesday I interviewed for a MUCH better job. On Thursday they called and asked when I could start. Friday came around and while I was figuring out how to tell the temp job people I was leaving they came up to me and said they had seen enough and were making me permenent. I told them about the other offer and they were excited for me. I told them I'd give them two weeks and the boss just laughed and said I hadn't even worked there a week and didn't have to worry about the two weeks so we agreed I'd stay one more week to help them out.

That was five years ago and my friend that does contract HVAC work for them told me last month they mentioned if I ever needed a job to go see them first.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
5/28/09 11:25 a.m.

I got my Dream Job at NCSA (www.ncsa.uiuc.edu) and worked there for 2 years or so. then the Director of NCSA took some heat on how he was spending money from the National Sciene Foundation.

He told 40 of us, Sorry, but I want to get a larger grant on some other project so you all have to go so I look good to the NSF.

It was not performance based, and it was a job I LOVED. I am still bitter.

Keep in mind that I am bitter but I would go with the sure thing. Good luck either way.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/09 11:33 a.m.
EricM wrote: I got my Dream Job at NCSA (www.ncsa.uiuc.edu) and worked there for 2 years or so. then the Director of NCSA took some heat on how he was spending money from the National Sciene Foundation. He told 40 of us, Sorry, but I want to get a larger grant on some other project so you all have to go so I look good to the NSF. It was not performance based, and it was a job I LOVED. I am still bitter. Keep in mind that I am bitter but I would go with the sure thing. Good luck either way.

Wow Eric, I didn't know that! Did you find another job?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mGFKqONJZvsSR4vG3prLFRBKNF349nyYaec022R6hegKxMHzgzqtIy8nJwsfSImI