1 2 3
HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
5/29/09 7:49 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I sometimes wonder if I would lose the passion if I worked on cars daily, making your hobby a job can spoil the hobby.

Truer words have never been spoken... I used to LOVE motorcycles, riding them, working on them, racing them and just being around them. After I dropped out of college I decided to go to school to be a motorcyle mechanic, since I already had a lot of mechanical back ground and love of the subject matter, I sailed through school and graduated top in my class. Two and half years of working in the buissness soured me completly. I still like bikes, though not like I used to, but I can't imagine ever working in that buisness again. At least my education hasn't gone to waste. Machines are all just machines, a formal education as an M/C mechanic coupled with a back ground in Ag equipment, cars, electric motor control and industrial hydraulics makes an unstopable industrial vehicle technician. (but sadly still under paid)

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/30/09 5:25 a.m.
P71 wrote: Hopefully I can stay in contact with the dream job and see what happens in 11 months.

Make sure you bow out gracefully and you'll be Ok..

about the losing your passion if you worked on it daily.. Yeah... I hear you.

I worked as a product development engineer at a turbo manufacturer. It was awesome. I was constantly coming up with crazy ideas and playing them out in labs. However, My role slightly changed and I spent most of my time reacting to incessant quality issues. It was still a really fun job, but It wore on me a great deal more. The plant would make X number of turbochargers with a certain defect and I had to determine if it was ok to waive that defect. The testing and problem solving was fun, but the operations guys sitting on my desk was rough.

I had a CRX in the garage, that was in awesome shape and I never worked on it. I got tired of slinging wrenches and crap at work all day. When I came home all I wanted to do was sit and watch TV. Then I got an MBA had a baby and am now in some executive development type role, so I don't have time anyways.. HA!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/09 8:42 a.m.

unless you're really desperate to have a paycheck in 2 weeks, chase the dream while you have the chance to do so.

i left DC for detroit in '93 to follow my passion. left behind family and friends, and a girlfriend of 7 years who wasn't willing to leave her family and friends. i haven't regretted it for a minute, even after being laid off in Nov '08.

one door closes, another opens up. i'll elaborate in a separate thread.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9BNmxVzQ3i3sNV4kz9BJESOHBaNamwjFirx8AuoCOadhgT27ObPiatBbamjbjsJX