1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/29/18 7:44 a.m.

1. Spend 10 minutes with a bottle of armor all - it gives the perception the car is well maintained.  

2. Doing a burnout for your first picture?  Already I'm thinking you're a knucklehead and this car is whaled on.

3. Deciding at the gas station it would be a good time to sell leads me to think she drinks a lot of gasoline or you're having trouble that night - time to unload her.  

4. The soapy car wash picture is a waste.  What good is this picture?  

5. The garbage still in your car?  I can smell the funky McDonald's bag stench already.

6. The picture of the kid who probably rode the clutch the entire time in front of the car?  Please get out of the way.  

Happy selling!  

wae
wae SuperDork
4/29/18 8:08 a.m.

Yeah, wtf is with the soapy pictures?  What is that supposed to stir inside my psyche?  Washing the car was such an unusual event that you felt it necessary to have pictorial evidence that it happened that one time?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
4/29/18 8:19 a.m.

You forgot one. Taking pictures of the car at night in poorly lit conditions. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/29/18 8:32 a.m.

"Just throwing this out to see what offer I get"

Flagged

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/18 8:39 a.m.

So you’re looking for a 350z or a wrx?

The soap pictures are new to me, but i only ever search cars below $1200 so nobody selling anything that cheap cares enough to wash it.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/29/18 8:59 a.m.
Patrick said:

So you’re looking for a 350z or a wrx?

The soap pictures are new to me, but i only ever search cars below $1200 so nobody selling anything that cheap cares enough to wash it.

always looking for a 350Z deal - I knew if I looked at WRX, Civic Si, or 350Z pictures I would find the knucklehead crap - there are not many 240SX's for sale to find all my data.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/18 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

What, no ads with the (supposedly) hot wife/girlfriend splayed out across the car?

Scott Hatfield
Scott Hatfield Dork
4/29/18 9:51 a.m.

My favorite are the snap chat pictures saying something incredibly stupid. No thanks.  I can smell the vape smoke from here. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/18 9:56 a.m.

You forgot the "Car under snow" pics.. I have seen those too

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
4/29/18 10:26 a.m.

There's one here locally selling on OfferUp. They took a picture through the glass out of a second story building window of a row of cars in the parking lot and then circled the car for sale. No other details. Just a white car in a parking lot among countless other cars, with a circle around it.

Or the people who can't seem to capture the entire vehicle in a picture. Just the top half, or the bottom half.

Or the cars in tight confines so they take pictures standing right up against the garage wall of the car right in front of them. Roll that crap outside and get full pics.

Phrases that automatically discount me considering the car.

• "Good conditions"....
  • "Clean salvage title"...
  • "HMU"...
CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/29/18 10:45 a.m.

You forgot the 'car under blue tarp with one random corner uncovered' pictures. 

What does that picture tell us?  That the car leaks, probably through the rust holes the tarp is covering.

AAZCD
AAZCD New Reader
4/29/18 2:11 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

You forgot one. Taking pictures of the car at night in poorly lit conditions. 

Just saw this on Craiglsist:

It leaves a lot to the imagination. Here's the total text from the ad:

1996 white Astro cargo van
235,000 miles
Needs a new switch, otherwise in good condition

Carson
Carson SuperDork
4/29/18 3:20 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

Maybe a light switch. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/29/18 3:34 p.m.

I try to be philosophical (I said try)... At least many of those save me a trip, even if it's frustrating. Now I don't need to go through scheduling to waste time meeting Mr Burnout.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
4/29/18 6:25 p.m.

Don' forget the pics with the sellers sketchy-ass looking cronies milling around the car. CL deals are scary enough, now you've made the ad look like the sale is definitely going to turn into robbery/rape/homocide/still more rape.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/18 6:31 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

After the homicide that second rape goes pretty painlessly. 

wae
wae SuperDork
4/29/18 7:31 p.m.

And my favorite: runs great, needs engine.

I've seen a ton of RVs for sale that have blue tarps over them.  Nothing says "leaks like a damned seive" like a blue tarp.

Back when you have to get your film developed and then scanned onto a CD I could understand the "pictures coming" or whatever.  But if you're using Craigslist there is an almost 100% chance that you have a picture taking device in your hands.  

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
4/29/18 9:23 p.m.

This has been on FB for quite a while. Started at 5k  He finally dropped to price......to 4K   These people are nuts .

2005 Mazda RX8. Approximately 75,000 miles. No rust. Very clean. 6 speed automatic with paddle shifters and slap shifter. Needs coil packs, plugs, wires, and battery. Does not currently run.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/29/18 11:11 p.m.

You realize we have an entire muli-page thread detailing Craigslist's finest pictures, right?

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
4/30/18 8:15 a.m.

Runs great then at the very bottom of the wall of text is "needs engine or needs transmission " that always annoys me more then bad pictures.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/30/18 9:09 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

No.  

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/18 9:12 a.m.

"I don't need to sell it..." 

Oh thank you SO MUCH for doing me this HUGE favor and granting me the opportunity to spend $6000 on your rusted-out DelSol with 300,000 miles.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/30/18 9:15 a.m.

More Awesome Craigslist Photos

Marvel at the awesome.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/30/18 9:45 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

2. Doing a burnout for your first picture?  Already I'm thinking you're a knucklehead and this car is whaled on.

Between the bent plate and the sideways windshield banners, the picture only confirms what I would have already strongly suspected.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
4/30/18 1:17 p.m.

"I know what I have"

Subaru's especially "It's worth 20K and new engine is $3k, so I'm only asking $17K" - Seriously - You want $17K for a non-running car????

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gpJVCDsv0fBnKz1Z82Vrnc4an61l9NpBNqCuswPEtkMPRUQlVoKsdOHTqU5Gbkhy