1 2 3
Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
11/14/13 6:33 p.m.

I know there is a strong contingent of GRMers here. If anyone would like to get together for a drink or anything, please let me know or pm me or something.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/14/13 6:37 p.m.

I'm a bit too far south for a beer tonight, but welcome to the Buckeye state all the same! I will empty a Third Shift ceremonially on behalf of all Ohioans tonight as a toast to your triumphant arrival.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
11/14/13 7:00 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I'm a bit too far south for a beer tonight, but welcome to the Buckeye state all the same! I will empty a Third Shift ceremonially on behalf of all Ohioans tonight as a toast to your triumphant arrival.

Bleach. Throw that down the drain.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/14/13 7:02 p.m.

I'm about 9 hrs east of you but what the hell... I'll drink a schooner of something in celebration.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/14/13 7:02 p.m.

third shift isn't terrible. If this was Minneapolis- I'd offer you a taste out of me 2013 Darkness.....

beans
beans HalfDork
11/14/13 7:07 p.m.

Welcome good sir! I'm about 2.5 hours northwest, but I've been planning to go down there soon.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/14/13 9:20 p.m.

Looks like you just missed the snow.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/14/13 10:53 p.m.

And brought the warmth in the forcast with him. I'm about 3.5hrs west of you, but this next year I plan on making a few Ohio meets.

If this weekend happens like they say, you might even get a taste of silly weather season.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/15/13 4:57 a.m.

Right now I am 1000 miles south but after Monday I will be 2 hours west of you.

Challenge FTW

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/15/13 7:42 a.m.

sorry to hear you are in columbus, it sucks there.

i'm about 100 miles north if you want to help split and stack firewood tomorrow.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
11/15/13 7:55 a.m.
patgizz wrote: sorry to hear you are in columbus, it sucks there.

this^

can't wheel ANYWHERE, racing scene is all but dead, ZERO automotive nightlife (car club meets, show and shines etc) unless your rocking something mainstream or expensive (stangs, vettes, lambos). this is not really a GRM friendly place. at least, thats been my experience for the last year.

on the upside, jobs are pretty good, basic freedoms arent bad, and i personally like the weather.

i live in plain city, but work in S columbus, at coca-cola. i quit drinking though...sorry.

-J0N

EvanB
11/15/13 8:09 a.m.

If you think the racing scene is dead in Columbus and it isn't a GRM friendly place you haven't been looking.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
11/15/13 8:28 a.m.

Details for those not aware, I moved here for a job with Columbus Brewing Company. The fiancee already works for Nationwide Insurance who has one of the headquarters here. Although the brewing scene here is small, it is expanding rapidly, and I get to be in a position to exert some influence as the wave picks up momentum. The community seems to be tightly knit and supportive of each other, and the local beers I've tried have all been very good so far.

jmthunderbirdturbo wrote:
patgizz wrote: sorry to hear you are in columbus, it sucks there.
this^ can't wheel ANYWHERE, racing scene is all but dead, ZERO automotive nightlife (car club meets, show and shines etc) unless your rocking something mainstream or expensive (stangs, vettes, lambos). this is not really a GRM friendly place. at least, thats been my experience for the last year.

It beats the hell out of the tiny, isolated town I was in.

Racing scene all but dead? What? Mid Ohio is a bit over an hour north. I can finally start running 944Spec again once I give my car a tune up. Sure, other tracks are going to be farther away, but at least I do not need to tow the car over mountains to get to them, and I get to compete in nationals. Plus my new job should give me enough time and money to pursue my hobbies. Beats the hell out of working weekends and the nearest tracks being 3-4 hours away through mountain passes.

I'm more bummed that, although there is swing and tango dancing here, there isn't any regular blues dancing yet. But I will see if I can do something to correct that discrepancy. I'll also need to hunt outside of the city for interesting motorcycling roads.

EvanB
11/15/13 8:45 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote: I'm more bummed that, although there is swing and tango dancing here, there isn't any regular blues dancing yet. But I will see if I can do something to correct that discrepancy. I'll also need to hunt outside of the city for interesting motorcycling roads.

Just an hour southeast of Columbus are some fantastic motorcycling roads.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/15/13 9:41 a.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: can't wheel ANYWHERE, racing scene is all but dead

Ummm... 62 miles from nirvana. That's one hour from possibly the best road course in North America. It takes me 9hrs to get there and I'm never disappointed. Nelson Ledges and Beaver Run are within 4hrs. Surely you are just not looking hard enough?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/15/13 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

What's that dirt course to the left of the entrance? Can't tell if it's some sort of MX track or maybe a rallycross course.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/15/13 9:51 a.m.

Used to live on the north end of C-bus (Lewis Center) and before that down south in Chillicothe.

Mid-O to the north, drag strip to the east, hocking hills to the south (great roads down there, good camping, and great hiking)

My sister in law's dad is with a motorcycle group that does enduro stuff down in McArthur. (can get you info if thats your thing)

Weekly car shows at Quaker Steak and Lube up on Polaris used to be a thing (probably still is)

Too bad Speeds went out... (indoor karting)

Can't beat the autocross scene here around DC, and we do have Summit Point, but I do miss Columbus... Just wasn't as congested and crazy as it is here.

EvanB
11/15/13 9:55 a.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: What's that dirt course to the left of the entrance? Can't tell if it's some sort of MX track or maybe a rallycross course.

MX track, it would be cool to do rallycross there. Big jumps!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
11/15/13 9:57 a.m.

I am about 6 hours northwest of you so I can't make it out there, but I will drink a Weihenstephaner Korbinian to your Ohio arrival. Prost!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/15/13 9:57 a.m.

Oh, favorite resturaunts when I was there..

http://lachatelainebakery.com/locations/ (French Bistro and bakery, My absolute favorite there)

Quaker Steak and Lubs (Wings, etc.. its up on Polaris)

Spaghetti Warehouse http://www.meatballs.com/location/store_detail_columbus.html

Wholly Joe's hotdogs (also Polaris) http://whollyjoes.com/ (they also had car shows on a semi-regular basis when I lived there)

Others that are currently there can probably say more.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/15/13 9:58 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
Ian F wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: What's that dirt course to the left of the entrance? Can't tell if it's some sort of MX track or maybe a rallycross course.
MX track, it would be cool to do rallycross there. Big jumps!

Ah... ok. I guess the jumps don't look so big from space.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/15/13 10:05 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Nope....Rule of thumb, stay away from Springfield, OH but feel free to hit Dayton.

EvanB
11/15/13 10:08 a.m.

Which neighborhood are you living in? I could recommend some restaurants/bars.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/15/13 10:46 a.m.

Welcome, we should all get together for a beer or two. There is also a C&C Sunday mornings in the Lennox movie theater parking lot .

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
11/15/13 11:29 a.m.

Welcome sir, I'm usually down for a beer after work week days. St James or Studio 35 are easy for me to hit on the commute but I'm open to other locations too.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GZyEW548RMnpKqx9bGOhESTuEI9881KzUxZHFz1SRfTzrhSuF6VCv9psmJqR7luT