1 2
DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
3/28/12 10:36 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4bkDjU6jKk&feature=colike

There's more to this swap, which I must go hunt down. The sound is sweet.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/28/12 12:11 p.m.

In reply to DoctorBlade

Pretty cool, although a 6V53 fits just as well and makes a lot more power.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/28/12 12:32 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to DoctorBlade Pretty cool, although a 6V53 fits just as well and makes a lot more power.

So something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3yohoCqD2E

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/28/12 12:42 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to DoctorBlade Pretty cool, although a 6V53 fits just as well and makes a lot more power.

How well does it fit? Would it fit in something other than a truck?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
3/28/12 1:36 p.m.

Biggest problem is weight. A Big Block Chevy weighs about 700 lbs while the 4-53 weighs 1110 lbs and a 6V53 weighs 1485 lbs. That is quite a bit more weight on the front of a truck. Size is an issue as well, they are big engines. Some specs on the Detroit Diesels here: http://www.adieselengine.com/new_page_1.htm

The 4-53T swap is quite popular and works with the SM465 transmission that came with the trucks. Most recommend installing a Ranger Torque Splitter to help reduce the rpm drops between gears. 2-stroke diesels don't like to be run at low rpms, i.e. lugging the engine.

Here is a video of a 4-53 with the SM465/Ranger in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0o1o5W_f6o

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/28/12 2:01 p.m.

In reply to MG Bryan:

I put one in a '76 Dodge Power Wagon. It fit very well. Some mods had to be made to the trans tunnel for the Allison 6-speed we used, but the engine fit in nicely. We used 2-1/2 ton axles front and rear. You have to have a large radiator for these, so that, and the size of the trans, would make it a lot more work to put it in something smaller.
I have a '77 Chevy C-20 I'm planning on doing that swap to sometime in the future. You can't beat the sound of a 2 stroke Detroit, although I'll add that they weren't the best heavy duty diesels ever built.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/28/12 2:06 p.m.

What kinda torque does a 4-53T make?

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/28/12 2:12 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: the 4-53 weighs 1110 lbs and a 6V53 weighs 1485 lbs

That puts an end to that idea.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
3/28/12 2:30 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: What kinda torque does a 4-53T make?

Looks like about 280 for 4-53 and 400+ for the 4-53T, not easy to find out, specs seem to vary quite a bit.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/28/12 2:44 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: What kinda torque does a 4-53T make?

They're not all the same. That basic engine platform was used for decades, and the engines come in various configurations. The 453 is pretty limited because it's so small. These engines were made in many different sizes. The 4 in 453 means its an inline 4 cylinder. The 53 means that it has 53 cu in per cylinder. A 6V53 is a V-6 with 53 cu in per cylinder. There are also 6-71, 6V71, 8V71, 6v92 and many other configurations. Older ones are non-turbo, and newer models have turbos. All have blowers, but unless you change the timing, they don't supercharge the engine, just scavange air. In stock form they really can't compete with modern diesels, but you can make big power with them for not a lot of cash if you know what to do to them,

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/28/12 2:52 p.m.

How much does one of those engines cost? I am having bad ideas...

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/28/12 3:06 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

I haven't bought one in a long time, so I'm not sure. Plus, every one I"ve ever bought was a core that I rebuilt. I'm sure there are places that sell them both used and rebuilt. R&R Machine in Akron Ohio sells all kinds of rebuilt diesels.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/28/12 3:12 p.m.

Sir, why does the V6 sound so awesome? I'm mystified by it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/28/12 3:31 p.m.

I wonder if they used them in any military applications. Government liquidators?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
3/28/12 3:54 p.m.

Probably. In one of those vids they're doing a "first start" for one that was crated in 1987 and never used. I'm still in love with the sound, but the weight is a concern. Unless it's in a truck I suppose.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/28/12 3:56 p.m.

I think a big '70s Caddy could be fun with one.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/28/12 5:00 p.m.
MG Bryan wrote: Sir, why does the V6 sound so awesome? I'm mystified by it.

I believe the engine in the video is a turbo 4-53, which is an inline 4 cylinder. But in any case, they sound that way because they are 2 strokes. Virtually all other diesels are 4 stroke. The wine is the turbo.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/28/12 5:02 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
MG Bryan wrote: Sir, why does the V6 sound so awesome? I'm mystified by it.
I believe the engine in the video is a turbo 4-53, which is an inline 4 cylinder. But in any case, they sound that way because they are 2 strokes. Virtually all other diesels are 4 stroke. The wine is the turbo.

I thought the second video was a six cylinder. Is there a good online source of information on these?

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/28/12 5:05 p.m.

In reply to MG Bryan:

Oh, the second video. I didn't watch it yet. I'll check it out and get back to you. I'm not sure about a sites for the se, although I'm sure there are. Back in the day I attended and graduated from Ohio Diesel Technical Institute, and this was in a time where these engines were still being produced. So I'm not up on any online sources, I have just known about them for years.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/28/12 5:11 p.m.

Actually it has a bad or mis-adjusted injector, but that makes it sound worse. Other than that, it doesn't have mufflers, which is the main reason it sounds a lot different than the 4-53.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
3/28/12 9:53 p.m.

Somewhere around 1985 I saw a stretched wheelbase, crew cab dually Chev with a monster diesel swap. It has about 18" added between the base of the windsheild and the back edge of the hood. Big Cummins, I think, and a big Allison automatic, and the back seat converted to a sleeper.

Choo Choo Customs tag on the fender- I think they fell to doing van conversions and then died a few years ago..

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/28/12 10:27 p.m.

Choo Choo did the Monte Carlo SS to El Camino SS front end conversions as well.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/29/12 8:20 a.m.

that's giving me evil thoughts about my 90 suburban.

wonder what kind of mpg one could get in a 2wd truck with that.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/29/12 8:56 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Guy in the first video was claiming 23mpg.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/29/12 8:57 a.m.

Do those two stroke diesels take pre-mix?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DEk27cZnPxIN9qxszJugHNmNtfsikyTZx6bKERmbRL3XkwLEBycxD45J7BJFWP9p