donalson
donalson PowerDork
5/8/14 4:52 p.m.

I mentioned at some point of my plans for a bike tour here and some people wanted to know more about it.

In short back in October an old friend of mine asked if I would be interested in a self supported trip across MO on the Katy Trail... that has turned into five guys in total that will be setting off from St. Charles, MO (just outside of St. Louis) across the state on the longest Rails To Trails trailway in the US over to Clinton, MO and back. All said it'll be about 475 miles over a week of riding, we'll be doing about 75 miles a day and camping at various campgrounds along the way.

this is the rig that will be rolling me across the trail... this was from my loaded test ride yesterday... about 25 miles

and just another random shot of her loaded

I set off Saturday night up to Fort Worth and will carpool with two of the other guys over to the start point where we'll meet our other two riders on Sunday afteroon... we hope to get a short 12ish mile segment done that heads east of where we'll be staying (24 miles out and back) and then Monday morning officially set off.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/14 4:54 p.m.

Very cool. Will you be able to post daily updates?

donalson
donalson PowerDork
5/8/14 5:01 p.m.

I'm not sure I'll have my phone and could prob post from there but I doubt I will bother, just a PITA doing it with a phone and I want to try and enjoy the camping and such... but I'm sure I'll post some pics on facebook as we go.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
5/8/14 5:14 p.m.

the other guys I'm going with are all a good bit older (believe the oldest is in his 70's), I know that at least 3 of the 4 other guys are grand-parents... so they will be riding old man bikes

this one has underseat stearing... I'm not sure on the 4th but I know it's a bent

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
5/8/14 5:41 p.m.

Awesome! I hope to do this some day.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
5/8/14 6:03 p.m.

Looking forward to the trip report once you complete it.

I am currently working on convincing my wife, parents and siblings that this would be a good ride to go on together.

I have ridden the C&O canal with my parents and the GAP trail with my parents and some of my siblings.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
5/8/14 6:05 p.m.

C&O/GAP trail would be a a fun one

if you are looking at doing a somewhat easier katy trail ride they have plenty of shuttles and Amtrak is an option to do it just one direction... another option is the organized ride that provide meals, sag and stuff like that http://www.mostateparks.com/2014-katy-trail-ride

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
5/8/14 6:05 p.m.

Sounds like fun, please post some pics if you have time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lkYjnckicLOYnHrKvdLhoQ75dc8P7SMy7wF4BKoJxKwF4uvIsorU8HFinIq5ZjWA