1 2
CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith New Reader
11/15/08 8:54 p.m.

So I go to leave to go to the grocery store. Battery is dead in the Protege5. I go take the battery out to put it on the charger and learn that "Step 1: Remove strut tower brace." Put the battery on the charger. Figure I'll just hang out at home for the rest of the night. So I'm hangin' out, surfin GRM's boards. The power goes out. I grab my cell phone & use it as a weak light to go up and grab a lighter to light candles. Find a lighter. I light it because its brighter than the phone is. Walk to where the candles are and light a tea light. Go to light the second one and the lighter dies. I grab the tea light to head to the garage which seems to be where the flashlights all end up. I open the garage door and the blast of cold air blows the tea light out. Sunny Beach! Stumble thru the house and grab the laptop. Unplug it from everything and use it as my flashlight. Just going to be one of those nights.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/15/08 9:17 p.m.

Next thing you will find that someone made off with all your 'C' & 'D' batteries. And I know who they are.

cwh
cwh Dork
11/16/08 8:45 a.m.

Here in SoFla, we have been through that drill so many time that we are well prepared now. 5KW genset, at least 10 flashlights with fresh batteries, propane lanterns, propane camp stove, lots of gas cans, and food. We are READY!!

EastCoastMojo
11/16/08 11:54 a.m.

You have a 9mm in every room? You ARE paranoid.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith New Reader
11/16/08 1:46 p.m.
derekshannon wrote: That was a funny story and I don't want to take away from the smiles it gave me but there WILL come a time that is much more serious than that one.

Actually I did have one a few months ago where the power was out for almost a day. That was actually going to be kind of cool though. Before I left for work, I brought in a bunch of fire wood to dry out, stopped and got some wine after work. Just told my now ex-fiance, I'll stop & get dinner, we'll just hang out & chat. It would be cool - kinda tried to make it a somewhat romantic evening for her.

Now the car battery, apparently the drivers side running lights, in the front, are staying lit. That's what killed the battery. I learned this after I went and got another one (original battery in a 5 year old car - not necessarily money wasted). However I just got the car back on the 7th from being in the body shop for a week. I know they were rushing and am thinking they shorted something. It was a frontal impact - second one for the year (neither my fault). This also screwed up the bachelor Friday At The Track (on the 7th) Sean and I were supposed to do in honor of my pending nuptials. Of course FATT was postponed and will now be classified as my re-releasing into the wild.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
11/16/08 2:03 p.m.
derekshannon wrote: That was a funny story and I don't want to take away from the smiles it gave me but there WILL come a time that is much more serious than that one. I keep lanterns and flashlights in every room of the house. Same for fire extimguishers and my 9mm and 12ga. is alsways close by just in case! OK, now I sound paranoid.

9mm? Afraid of being attacked by squirrels?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
11/16/08 2:23 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: 9mm? Afraid of being attacked by squirrels?

9mm is to slow someone down to give you time to get to the 12ga.

granted I was trained in such situations to perform a Mozambique. If you don't know what that is it is a 2+1, two to the heart one to the head. I was drilled in it so much that it is just second nature and is very fast. With that a 9mm is more than enough.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
11/16/08 2:26 p.m.

Opinion here:

How bad of place do you live that you need to carry a handgun?

don't get me wrong: I Fully support the right to bear arms.

I just don't get why people need guns designed to kill people.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/16/08 3:58 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Opinion here: How bad of place do you live that you need to carry a handgun? don't get me wrong: I Fully support the right to bear arms. I just don't get why people need guns designed to kill people.

I dont hunt, so that would be the only reason for me to own a gun.

Edit- Becuase of that fact I don't currently own a gun. If I were shopping for one it would be for home defense and since I have no clue what space aliens look like, I would use the ability to stop humans as one of the criteria.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
11/16/08 4:17 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
Grtechguy wrote: Opinion here: How bad of place do you live that you need to carry a handgun? don't get me wrong: I Fully support the right to bear arms. I just don't get why people need guns designed to kill people.
I dont hunt, so that would be the only reason for me to own a gun. Edit- Becuase of that fact I don't currently own a gun. If I were shopping for one it would be for home defense and since I have no clue what space aliens look like, I would use the ability to stop humans as one of the criteria.

I've always pictured space-aliens as having abnormally large heads...

I'm watching you, MrJoshua.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
11/16/08 7:40 p.m.
derekshannon wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: 9mm? Afraid of being attacked by squirrels?
I bet if you took a 9mm to center mass you'd wish you'd been up a tree in a hole instead of in my house uninvited! Where have you been reading up on ballistics?

Man, you tiny-caliber enthusiasts sure are touchy on the subject...

I keeed, I keeed. 9mm is a good round. It's no .40 S&W, but still.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 New Reader
11/16/08 7:52 p.m.

double taps are not legal, controlled pairs is the prefered nomenclature.

EastCoastMojo
11/16/08 7:53 p.m.

I want to go to the firing range but Chuck's not really into it. I don't necessarily want to buy just yet, but I would love to blow some holes in a target some days.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
11/16/08 8:00 p.m.
derekshannon wrote: 15+1 'aint bad either!

Yeah but 17+1 is better...plus two more 17 round mags.

Black Talons can get you in trouble, they are one of those rounds that are frowned upon. Talk to someone in your local law enforcement and find out what loads they are using, and use those. When I was in Portland it was Hydroshock +P.

Granted I also love my 1911 even if it is only 7 rounds in the mag.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
11/16/08 8:20 p.m.

this isn't israel so hollowpoints aren't illegal, why would it matter if you're using one called black talon or one called rainbow bright's fantastic magic?

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/16/08 9:38 p.m.

Since this has jumped over to guns, what would be a good "beginers" hand gun? 1st choise is a ruger MK 2 or 3, 22lr is easy on the wallet, but after that a 9mm or .45?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
11/16/08 10:01 p.m.
derekshannon wrote: It's not a matter of being "touchy" or overly sensitive. It's a matter of dispelling myths that keep getting passed on from one person to another. You may be comfortable letting false information perpetuate itself, I'm not, that's all. But back to the subject, I happen to be very handy with my 9mm from speed-loading, rapid-fire, double-tapping and staying on target with each round to carrying concealed. I'm very comfortable with my ability with my 9mm. I'll take that rather than a 45acp in the hands of someone not-so trained. 15+1 'aint bad either! I would like to own a 40 though!

aka "touchy"

I love false information! Chevy's are unreliable turds, and Toyota's are the end-all in reliability!

P.S: Black Talons are overrated, and as pointed out, t-r-o-u-b-l-e. That said, I've never shot anyone with any sort of round, and if they feed well, what's the harm?

neon4891 wrote: Since this has jumped over to guns, what would be a good "beginners" hand gun? 1st choice is a Ruger MK 2 or 3, 22lr is easy on the wallet, but after that a 9mm or .45?

I love .22LR. Cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, and you'll have a chance to learn proper control without picking up flinches, etc. I'd for for the Mk 2 over the 3, but that's just me.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
11/16/08 10:05 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: this isn't israel so hollowpoints aren't illegal, why would it matter if you're using one called black talon or one called rainbow bright's fantastic magic?

Blacktalons are a bit different then a regular hollow point, just like a hydroshock is not a regular hollow point.

Winchester pulled the original blacktalons but then brought out the ranger sxt ammo which is basically the same freakin bullet. In some areas they did actually outlaw the original talons.

Also another reason for not using the talons is it adds to the legal issues you will have when you shoot the guy breaking into your house. Because remember even if the authorities don't kill you, his family will more than likely sue you and there is nothing a lawyer would love more than to point out that you were using "excessively cruel" ammunition designed to inflict more damage than even regular hollow point. They would love to point out how the particular designed expansion pattern of a black talon gives it razor sharp claws that shred the body and make it damn hard to remove the bullet. Yeah nothing like making yourself look like a vicious gun owner to a jury of your peers (which is exactly what would happen once their lawyer was done with you). Even better the fact you WERE a deputy sheriff, that just means you were trained to use that weapon, this would get used against you as well.

Now personally I have no problem with talons, if I was in a situation that called for causing maximum damage with every shot they would be near the top of my list. My problem is what I stated above, instead of the papers writing about a man protecting his family and home from an armed intruder, I'd be getting raked over the coals and demonized as a "gun nut" using excessive force to stop some poor misunderstood young kid that was "so strung out on drugs he didn't know what he was doing was wrong".

There are reasons to not use things that get demonized by the media, the average schmuck is going to believe what they read in the paper or hear on the news.

neon4891 wrote: Since this has jumped over to guns, what would be a good "beginers" hand gun? 1st choise is a ruger MK 2 or 3, 22lr is easy on the wallet, but after that a 9mm or .45?

.22's are always great to start with and great to have to "plink" around with. As for the 9mm and .45 question the better thing to look at is which guns feel the most comfortable in your hands. The .45 will generally be larger and heavier, people with smaller hands or short fingers may have problems holding one properly (like my father). Both are great rounds that have their own pluses and minuses, best thing is go to a range that has a selection of guns to rent and try out several models in various calibers.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/17/08 10:45 a.m.

My friend in flight school keeps telling me about some kind of "Pilots Special" offer from, IIRC, S&W. It is suposed to be approved for airline pilots to carry on the flight deck, and the price is between $300-$500. FWIW

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/17/08 11:58 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: My friend in flight school keeps telling me about some kind of "Pilots Special" offer from, IIRC, S&W. It is suposed to be approved for airline pilots to carry on the flight deck, and the price is between $300-$500. FWIW

EastCoastMojo
11/17/08 12:21 p.m.

We have one of those!

We also have some customized Nerf products:
Before:

After:

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/08 12:26 p.m.

I'm looking at this one
Happiness is a belt fed weapon

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/17/08 12:30 p.m.
Wally wrote: I'm looking at this one Happiness is a belt fed weapon

a full auto at that

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
11/17/08 1:15 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: We have one of those! We also have some customized Nerf products: Before: After:

Hehe we used those for office warfare at my old job, those and small nerf footballs that doubled as grenades.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
11/17/08 1:27 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: We have one of those! We also have some customized Nerf products: Before: After:

That's bad ass.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lxia8yW42QZP8N1vz0YV6eukBrT0l1ahr6nGsObeA1BxGLfpwpQrRSXbyljXr1sS