Brian
Brian MegaDork
2/19/18 5:27 p.m.

Can a Rambo style hollow handle knife be good? The question seems to have 2 parts.

First, if well built, how durable can the design be? Lets say the line between use and abuse is chopping and batoning.

Second, how practile a kit can you fit in the handle? The standard included kit is usually matches, fishing line and hook, a basic sewing kit, and compass in the cap. One YouTuber mentioned either bullion cubes or ramen flavor packets.  

Is there any merit to the concept or is this just polishing a turd? 

Chris Reeve's hollow handle knives are single-piece forgings. Any other method I would have a hard time having full confidence in the strength of the join during really hard use.

linky

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
2/19/18 5:52 p.m.

Schrade also makes some single piece hollow handle knives. Not sure of they're any good at all...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/19/18 7:47 p.m.

What about threatening Brian Dennehy? I need to know if it will hold up.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
2/19/18 10:45 p.m.

This made me remember that after Rambo came out those knives were everywhere and my dad bought one of these survival knives for my ten year old self.

I remember trying to cut a tree branch with the wire chainsaw in the handle, skewering a disembodied deer hoof and parading it around the camp at arms length and peeling an apple with it because, badass. Sadly I threw the knife instead of the apple peel because, 10 year old and never found the comically oversized knife for the rest of that hunting trip 

This is kind of awesome because try as I might I don't remember much of my childhood.

Carbon
Carbon SuperDork
2/19/18 11:06 p.m.

I spent many days hunting the predator, crawling through the woods with my survival knife and dun dun duhd-udadun dun du da dunnnn sound track running through my head. 

"Stick around" in best Ahnold voice. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
2/20/18 6:45 a.m.

In reply to akamcfly :

Interesting. I was wondering if a one piece knife was a thing. I would definitely ditch the bits in the handle for just about anything else. They seem to have a street price around $60 on Amazon. 

Maybe I’ll pick up an HF knife and tear it apart and reassemble it with lock tight for fun. 

Nugi
Nugi New Reader
2/20/18 8:23 p.m.

As with any good knife, it all depends on materials and design. You got design covered, now find one made from quality steel, with a stout handle. There is no reason a high quality one can't be made, but I haven't looked. I would strongly recommend against a chinzy threaded aluminum handle like I've seen on many at swap meets.

I too had a "survival knife" with the compass and kit when younger. I threw most of the kit out and repacked it with better stuff, and was the star of the next scouting trip. Then some neighbor saw me playing rambo in my own bushes a few weeks later and called the berkin cops. It somehow 'disappeared' after that incident. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/20/18 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Nugi :

The neighbor wasn't Brian Dennehy by any chance was it?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l95Q1qtpkDEhsONP9s2UDqiYu53jJvgwcxCEflXSAea3HvWY0ZO63Oqp0tSiPQLo