Maroon92 SuperDork
Oct. 6, 2011 8:21 p.m.

How cool would it be to have this hanging in your Man Cave? I would love it, but not for a cool quarter mil...

it's TIME to buy...

Oct. 7, 2011 5:34 p.m.

Pretty awesome, but not $250k awesome.

It should be more like $15k. It is collectable.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
Oct. 7, 2011 5:44 p.m.

0 bids w/ 20 hrs remaining, go figger

Javelin SuperDork
Oct. 7, 2011 6:29 p.m.

That would go great with my 787B replica!

Oh, wait

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
Oct. 7, 2011 9:16 p.m.

looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to make a repro of that

Oct. 7, 2011 9:36 p.m.

In reply to fasted58:

It definitely wouldn't, with a little ingenuity, you could probably build something like that for $500.

jrw1621 SuperDork
Oct. 7, 2011 9:40 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to fasted58: It definitely wouldn't, with a little ingenuity, you could probably build something like that for $500.

Then try to sell it on ebay for $250k.
Really? $250k seems really overpriced.

I fail to understand the importance of the blue cabinet. It does not look like the pieces fit in the cabinet and if they do it looks like pieces are missing.

Oct. 7, 2011 10:14 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to fasted58: It definitely wouldn't, with a little ingenuity, you could probably build something like that for $500.

Then try to sell it on ebay for $250k.
Really? $250k seems really overpriced.

I'm not understanding what you're getting at. Did you read any of the above posts?

lewbud
lewbud Reader
Oct. 7, 2011 11:05 p.m.

That doesn't look like the clock from the movie.

Maroon92 SuperDork
Oct. 7, 2011 11:17 p.m.

It isn't the clock from the movie. If you read the listing, this clock was employed from 1990 through 1997 when the Rolex Clock was put up.

lewbud
lewbud Reader
Oct. 7, 2011 11:36 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: It isn't the clock from the movie. If you read the listing, this clock was employed from 1990 through 1997 when the Rolex Clock was put up.

Actually, his listing doesn't say that. All it says is that it was used up to 1997, when it was replaced by the Rolex clock. You're inferring a start date based on the years of the winners listed. That being said, I think Ebay is the wrong place for this. He should of loaded up the duallie and carted it over to the Dallas Convention Center for the Mecum auction this weekend. Don't think he would have gotten his quarter mill though.

Maroon92 SuperDork
Oct. 8, 2011 6:59 a.m.
lewbud wrote:
Maroon92 wrote: It isn't the clock from the movie. If you read the listing, this clock was employed from 1990 through 1997 when the Rolex Clock was put up.

Actually, his listing doesn't say that. All it says is that it was used up to 1997, when it was replaced by the Rolex clock. You're inferring a start date based on the years of the winners listed. That being said, I think Ebay is the wrong place for this. He should of loaded up the duallie and carted it over to the Dallas Convention Center for the Mecum auction this weekend. Don't think he would have gotten his quarter mill though.

Yeah, my bad.

And I agree with your assessment. Nobody is paying a quarter mil for that. Especially when a quarter mil can buy you a car that COMPETED at le mans. Possibly one that won a lower class. LMPs and Group Cs are just a little more.

DILYSI Dave SuperDork
Oct. 8, 2011 7:59 a.m.

Jay Lamm should buy it for Lemons races, just to piss off the purists.

porksboy SuperDork
Oct. 8, 2011 5:42 p.m.

I gotta get a picture of the analouge part so I can make a copy for my shop when I have time. If it started use in 1990 it will be a quartz movement. HMMM. Anyone interested if I do go into production?

porksboy SuperDork
Oct. 8, 2011 5:55 p.m.

Just looked at my DVD copy of the movie. The one in the movie is round and made by DUTRAY with that name at 12:00 with LE MANS at 6:00.

Damn, you got the wathmaker thinking about this. The movie one would be more difficult as the minute hand moves in one minute increments. Most likely it is an electro mechanical slave with a master in the timing shack.

Now I need a picture of the Rolex one.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
Oct. 8, 2011 7:13 p.m.

porksboy:Not to derail the thread but is an anniversary clock marked SOKOL MONTAGE& Co. made in Germany, worth repairing?

porksboy SuperDork
Oct. 9, 2011 6:42 p.m.

Maybe. If its quartz, no. if a true windup anniversary you wind once a year, yes. Does it have sentimental value? I dont repair them and the last clockmaker I knew of doing quality work retired. I will contact some of my watchmaker friends and see if they know anyone.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
Oct. 9, 2011 6:47 p.m.

True wind up, no sentimental value beyond an antique that should be preserved? Painful to watch the old craftsmen hang up their tools

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
Oct. 9, 2011 6:58 p.m.

0 bids at auction end

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Win Some CRC Goodies

1 day ago in News

We're picking our favorite 30 entries to the Show Us Your Shop Contest so far and sending them some prizes.

Buy One, Get One Free

1 day ago in News

Give your friend a subscription and we'll give you one for free for being such a good buddy.

Pay It Forward

2 days ago in Articles

Passing your street survival knowledge on to the next generation pays dividends.

Pirelli World Challenge Announces 2015 Schedule

5 days ago in News

Next year's schedule includes events across North America at some of the nations's most challenging courses.

2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Redline

5 days ago in New Car Reviews

While Dodge's muscle car revival has not gone without its fair share of criticism, the Challenger Redline gives us a ...

Podcast Episode 37: JG and David talk about auctions and future collectibles

1 week ago in Articles

JG and David discuss the auction scene, and future collectible cars.

Swap Meet at the $2014 Challenge

1 week ago in News

We're just over a week away from the $2014 Challenge. Now there's a swap meet. Will you be there?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More