poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/30/19 2:07 p.m.

The toilet at the creekhouse SUCKS. I haven’t measured it, but it seems to sit WAY low to the ground, has a plastic seat, etc; Not a good place to spend time in the one room where I get some semblance of privacy.

Any suggestions? I’m guessing just whatever standard-height toilet + nice seat is the answer? I hate plastic & MDF.

Search state auctions for stainless prison toilets and keep a hair-dryer handy for the seat in winter?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/30/19 2:09 p.m.

No suggestions for the toilet itself, but the thing that drives me insane is short, round bowls. Look for a long, oval shaped bowl  unless you like the feel of porcelain on your junk. 

EDIT: Also, I prefer a shorter toilet vs a taller one, for the same reason that the squatty potty exists.

poopshovel again
9/30/19 2:24 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

This has been my first experience with a non-standard-height toilet. On a warm day there is junk-to-water contact, which is obviously unnaceptable. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/30/19 2:41 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to mtn :

This has been my first experience with a non-standard-height toilet. On a warm day there is junk-to-water contact, which is obviously unnaceptable. 

lol, I think my definition of shorter toilet is probably a standard toilet, and the ones I think are too tall are... well, tall toilets. But anyways, like I said I like the elongated bowl. My brother refers to the round bowls as "female toilets". 

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/30/19 3:17 p.m.

According to this discussion on here earlier this year, the American Standard Champion with 4Max is the way to go.  I've yet to replace mine, so I can't comment on my mileage.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/30/19 3:36 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to mtn :

#humblebrag

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/30/19 3:50 p.m.

Tall, extended bowl.  I have a ------ that will flush a basketball with three teaspoons of water.

No junk dipping, either.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/30/19 3:51 p.m.

Kohler.  That's it.

poopshovel again
9/30/19 3:56 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:
poopshovel again said:

In reply to mtn :

#humblebrag

I said “junk;” not “hootus.” #ALLBALLS

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
9/30/19 4:20 p.m.
FooBag said:

According to this discussion on here earlier this year, the American Standard Champion with 4Max is the way to go.  I've yet to replace mine, so I can't comment on my mileage.

I took that threads advice a couple months ago and bought two on sale  Easy to install. Flush well. No complaints. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
9/30/19 4:42 p.m.

FWIW I did a pressure assisted dual flush. Its AWESOME.

poopshovel again
9/30/19 10:48 p.m.
Greg Voth said:
FooBag said:

I took that threads advice a couple months ago and bought two on sale  Easy to install. Flush well. No complaints. 

“Please don’t be a link to a thread I started. Please don’t be a link to a thread I started. Please don’t be a link to a thread I started.”

WHEW! Dodged the alcohol-induced-alzheimers disgnosis bullet again!!!

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/1/19 9:55 a.m.

I've had two of the dual-flush and didn't really like them.  If I hit the #1 button and the water is still pale yellow, it's a no-go for me.  As it was explained to me, if you get a good low-flow toilet with a single flush, you'll end up using less water in the long run, have to clean it less frequently, and you'll have fewer potential clogs.

About 4 years ago I bought the American Standard model that they showed flushing a bucket of golf balls.  It was berkeleying amazing.  It flushed so fast you had to make sure all the paper was touching the water, otherwise it was done flushing before it pulled the paper down with it.  It was probably the one thing about that house that I really miss after the divorce.

I'll have to look at the one I have now.  It came with my current house and it is also wonderful.  My only gripe is that the "sump" in the bowl is a little farther forward than normal (so the rear of the bowl is sloped a little less) which can cause... um... streaking depending on the... uh... fiber content of what I had the day before.

I will echo the "short but not too short" seat height.  It sounds strange, but as long as there is no scrotal contact with the water, go lower.  Because science.  Squatty potty has the right idea.  I always was concerned about space consumption in a small bathroom with an elongated bowl, but the truth is you still sit in the same coordinates, there is just more space in front.  So unless you have a particularly tiny space, lean toward an elongated version.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
10/1/19 10:17 a.m.

I was told by several contractors that Toto’s are the way to go.  

I ended piecemealing our three toilets from Craigslist ads of unused toilets.  One was a fancy looking one and one was a Toto.  Haven’t had any real problems with any but I third the elongated bowl. 

Let me add that the soft-close seats are Hamazing.  I got some wooden ones but they broke.  I replaced with plastic because I figure the lighter weight=easier on the hinge=easier on the bowl=less casualties.  

So definitely look at the soft close lids. 

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/1/19 11:05 a.m.

Toto's for the win.

I bought into the American Standard hype a few years ago, bought three of them...not a single one was flat on the bottom. Do you know how hard it is to mount a toilet so it won't rock if the bottom isn't flat? I do. I trashed two of them and took an angle grinder to tha bottom of the third.

Toto's have been wonderful.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/1/19 12:10 p.m.

Wait, what's wrong with your shovel?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K671s0HLvkep1E0XF2AguLDNstI50kXIdsc30gyUpvI3NgjDwWpQTmj6iQWh7TTR