GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/13 4:58 p.m.

I get the basics of attaching tape and foam tubing...but I'm wondering about WHERE I should put it. This is for the AC system on my 'rolla. I notice the stock lines don't have any insulation near connectors, is there a reason for this or is it easy efficiency gains ripe for the taking?

Also the lines have an outer wrap of some kind of corrugated aluminum/cardboard sandwich tape, it's rotting off now, anyone know what this is called? (Or what would be a good substitute, maybe foam-backed aluminum tape?)

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/7/13 5:01 p.m.

The line between the orifice tube and the evaporator core is the most important.

GameboyRMH
12/7/13 5:29 p.m.

That one's deep under the dash, not being messed with...the lines I'm working on are the two that attach to the compressor.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/7/13 5:47 p.m.

Some have the ex tube in the engine bay, some distance from the evaporator. If yours is in the dash, the only thing to insulate would be the suction line (evaporator outlet to compressor inlet).

GameboyRMH
12/7/13 5:53 p.m.

Do you know of any reason I shouldn't apply insulation near the connectors?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/7/13 6:01 p.m.

You want to keep the connectors as dry as possible to keep them from corroding. Assuming they're brass fittings on aluminum lines. GM actually tells you to lube the orings and threads on R134a systems with mineral oil for this reason.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eUuGgLEL2iHV1bbmbzvGrksxvrncPjyybI4F7Asx8Wh1oft1n87YSwOIfJiMB0M8