Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/29/18 1:18 p.m.

Just kidding. I’ve been here 10x for work and I know where to go.  

However if you have time hit up these little museums.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/29/18 1:22 p.m.

Barbecue thread?  IBTL.

PS - nice Super Connie.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/29/18 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Guy gives tour said he flew in one as a kid. You get to go inside too.   I missed the TWA museum.   

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/29/18 1:54 p.m.

I have not heard about this place before.  Maybe someday when I have a Saturday or something to use I'll hit that up.  Looks cool.  And a fun place to use a wide angle lens.

KC is a good place to be a foodie.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
11/29/18 2:45 p.m.

Interesting timing for this thread. Started a new job Monday, and flew to KC tuesday. 

Going to Q39 tonight. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/29/18 2:52 p.m.

Q39 was my first choice but not enough time.  Mac and cheese looks good. 

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson New Reader
11/29/18 2:53 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

Is that in the caves?  

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
11/29/18 2:55 p.m.

In reply to ThurdFerguson :

yes it is. 

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
11/29/18 3:26 p.m.

The airplane museum looks awesome!

About 10 years ago I was in KC for 5 days 2 years in a row.  I ate a LOT of BBQ in those 10 days.  The biggest standout to me was Jack Stack, but it was pretty fancy and pricey, definitely best reserved for a special occasion. Arthur Bryant's and Gates were also both excellent places that I wouldn't mind eating at very frequently.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/18 3:35 p.m.

Little known fact, Andy Reid is paid in barbeque.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
11/29/18 5:44 p.m.

I was in KC for work a few weeks back.  We ate at Jack Stacks. Very nice meal!

TheRyGuy
TheRyGuy New Reader
11/29/18 6:04 p.m.

x2 on the Slaps BBQ. I stopped there last year on a Ohio to Colorado to Washington road trip. 

Wish I could have eaten more, but my stomach is only so big!

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson New Reader
11/30/18 8:09 a.m.

I like Joe's Kansas City, the original in the gas station in KC KS.  Some think it's too salty though.  I had a good meal at Zarda's BBQ in Blue Springs once, but the next one was just not good.  Haven't been back.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
11/30/18 3:14 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

Interesting timing for this thread. Started a new job Monday, and flew to KC tuesday. 

Going to Q39 tonight. 

I did some work on those caves in early 2009 if i remember right, Ford came down and pulled a handful of us out of our automotive college classes for a week to change trans fluid on some new trucks that got the wrong fluid put in them from the plant. The best part is that it was about 10* outside but the caves were always ~60-65*. and a straight piped aw11 mr2 sounds real good screaming through those caves.

As a native of KC and having my dad compete and now judge bbq competitions (the best part being part of the 'taste testing team' before they went to a competition) I would say Gate's bbq is probably my favorite, but to be honest basically any bbq place you can find in KC is going to be good, but 95% of the time the more sketchy the place is the better the bbq.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
11/30/18 5:08 p.m.

Memphis is a 7 hours and 14 minute drive from KC, according to Google.  Ya know, if you really want good BBQ. wink

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/30/18 5:51 p.m.

I’m not a huge bbq fan so when I am in KC I visit avenue auto and spend an hour chatting with wren. The yards history is really really interesting including once having all those recalled/unsold Superbirds dropped there by Chryco.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/30/18 9:35 p.m.

There's another place I like to go to when in KC. Not BBQ though. Can't remember the name of the place, there's 2 of them. One is the original "house" and is family style. Supposedly known for their fried chicken but their country fried steak is what the real deal is. As big as the plate and usually can cut with a fork. Second plate for the fixen's that come in a bowl to serve yourself and a cinnamon roll comes with the meal for desert. My uncle that lives in KC always takes me there when I'm in town.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
11/30/18 10:23 p.m.

Rosedales on Southwest Blvd...

Or RJ's in Wyandotte...

All Slabbed up in Lansing...

Joes, Jack Stack, Aurthurs and all the rest are alright...     but not exactly the same.  

ronholm
ronholm Dork
11/30/18 10:23 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3 :

Strouds.   It is awesome.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
12/1/18 7:26 p.m.
ronholm said:

In reply to wlkelley3 :

Strouds.   It is awesome.

Yeah! That's it!! Awesome!!

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
12/3/18 12:51 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

Memphis is a 7 hours and 14 minute drive from KC, according to Google.  Ya know, if you really want good BBQ. wink

get out of here with your thin, vinegar-y, lame excuse for bbq sauce. devil

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/3/18 1:23 p.m.
edizzle89 said:
bigdaddylee82 said:

Sorry, that’s eastern NC you are talking about.  

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson New Reader
12/3/18 2:42 p.m.
spitfirebill said:
edizzle89 said:
bigdaddylee82 said:

Sorry, that’s eastern NC you are talking about.  

I think of Memphis BBQ as a cross between the vinegar based eastern NC type and the red,thick, tomaty sauce of KC BBQ.

I also think the dry rub used in Memphis is VERY salty, but that's just my taste buds opinion.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/18 3:34 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

SHOTS FIRED.  

Oh, never mind.  Those were just part of  the normal soundtrack to living in Memphis.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rDUzvWenbRD1s4bpsNr0jM28Y8axXxZ296WW0anZ1DF3cvu8Sn6fVZIcbAWcSH5n