JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/27/13 12:02 p.m.

Hey Guys,

We've spent several months thinking about getting an enclosed trailer. Yesterday I was at several dealers, crawling under trailers and looking at how they were built.

It was kind of depressing; all the trailers that looked nice and were in a $5K-$6K range were.....well, I don't like looking at a brand new item so expensive and having the first thought through my mind be, "I could build one better than that." It is very disconcerting, especially when people are bragging in their marketing videos about the quality of the tube frames for their car haulers, and the videos are full of stuff that makes me question the fabrication. Take a look at this:

Are those types of construction standard industry practice? (or at least, standard for the prices we've been looking at?) Are they a problem? Would you feel comfortable hauling my locost/datsun thingy with a trailer? Would you feel comfortable hauling a late sixties muscle car with a trailer built that way? If you bought one, would you be crawling underneath with a MIG and finishing up the welds the way they should have been done at the factory?

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/27/13 12:33 p.m.

Makes me wonder how my 7x14 is made......its been fine for a 1 ton bmw and the skids of OSB/drywall/seed corn in it.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
3/27/13 1:04 p.m.

That is not common construction, at least not on the bigger name trailers. Horton did completely weld the joints on my enclosed, well at least all the ones I can see. I guess to get the costs down they cut corners where they can. If I had that trailer, I would finish all the welds I could, otherwise it would drive me crazy.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
3/27/13 1:07 p.m.

Our horse trailer has some unbelieveable welding. It actually attracts people due to the extensive high-quality welds. Usually the comments are along the lines of "That was an anal welder with a lot of time on his hands"

The result is a trailer that pulls like a dream and doesn't creak or groan while fully loaded.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/27/13 1:15 p.m.

something like a featherlight/horton is out of the picture....just too pricey. I may need to just plan on fixing a brand new trailer after purchase.....which sucks. I hate upside down welding. I'm always catching my jacket on fire.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
3/27/13 1:17 p.m.

That kind of crappy construction is pretty standard on the lower to mid level trailers. Some are actually scarier then that. A lot of them also aren't legal in some way (usually lighting or fenders). I got so depressed by all that crap, that I actually build my first trailer.

Since then, I discovered that you can find some nice, cheap trailers locally, but you have to look carefully. For example, around here there is a family of farmers that builds trailers during the winter. Nice quality, and not too expensive, but not a lot of choices. There is also a "welding company" around here that builds trailers and they have some of the crappiest welds I have ever seen. So you really have to check. YMMV.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/27/13 1:21 p.m.

^^^ good to know. Unfortunately, Montreal is quite a distance from here......do any GRMers know someone in florida/georgia who fabricates GOOD trailers at a mid to low cost?

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/27/13 3:42 p.m.

Not enclosed unfortunately.....however, if an open trailer fits the bill I'd recommend a Kaufman out of NC.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/27/13 3:48 p.m.

I have a used '00 Haulmark that is really nice. I had my pick of sizes from 20' to 28' locally for all the same money. $3500 to $6000 and it was features more than size that dictated. I ended up with an 8.5'x20' bumper pull with 120vac wiring, lights, insulated walls & ceiling, bulkhead cabinets, a workbench, and e-track everywhere for a negotiated $4500.

Most people in the paddock who didn't spend $20k for a sweet aluminum deal tell the same story as me with different options. Plenty of good ones around everywhere so no reason settle.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/27/13 4:22 p.m.

Thanks. We may have to keep looking, then

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/27/13 4:54 p.m.

my enclosed haulmark looks way better than that underneath.

if you can, keep an eye out for a really heavy duty one. mine has taller framerails, 8 lug axles, and a massive jack.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/27/13 6:05 p.m.

And that's why Peter Brock designed his own trailer: http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=bre2_aerovault_trailer&Category_Code=car_trailers

It's a little more than $5000, but it's built the way he wanted it built.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
3/27/13 6:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens said: It's a little more than $5000.

Well that's the understatement of the year!

Base model: 24K ??? Ouch! It really is a very nice trailer, but I don't see myself ever spending that much on a small trailer. You can get a 53' trailer for that price.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/28/13 3:26 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And that's why Peter Brock designed his own trailer: http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=bre2_aerovault_trailer&Category_Code=car_trailers It's a little more than $5000, but it's built the way he wanted it built.

Gorgeous trailer, but the moon hubcaps are a little too much fashion and not enough function. Not to mention the stupid amount of money he wants for it. You could get a trailer and tow vehicle for that

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/28/13 12:35 p.m.

The moon cap supposedly improve aero... but I agree - $24-25K is steep.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/28/13 12:44 p.m.

I'm sure they do improve aero....but I bet they make it a pain to check your bearings when you stop for gas.

We're going to look at a trailer later today

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/28/13 12:59 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: And that's why Peter Brock designed his own trailer: http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=bre2_aerovault_trailer&Category_Code=car_trailers It's a little more than $5000, but it's built the way he wanted it built.
Gorgeous trailer, but the moon hubcaps are a little too much fashion and not enough function. Not to mention the stupid amount of money he wants for it. You could get a trailer and tow vehicle for that

Not to mention that it is pretty useless for camping at the track or hanging out in unless you are only 4' tall.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/28/13 1:27 p.m.

OK, the trailer that I am going to see is a haulmark, and I just got off the phone with a haulmark dealer. Since I have not crawled underneath one yet to look at it, what I'm about to say is just repeating what the sales person said:

• the floor supports are c-channel, not tube
  • they are 24 inches apart instead of 16
  • they are only welded on the vertical portion of the c-channel

Let's at least hope that their welds are nice. I'm not happy

[I'll post photos after I see it]

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/28/13 1:51 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Not to mention that it is pretty useless for camping at the track or hanging out in unless you are only 4' tall.

Agreed... but if you're towing it behind a camper... which often don't have the greatest tow-ratings... I'd love to get one of these to go behind the Sportsmobile Sprinter (5000 lb tow rating) I've been dreaming about...

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/28/13 8:55 p.m.
patgizz wrote: my enclosed haulmark looks way better than that underneath.

Interesting. We went and looked at this haulmark earlier today:

The exterior and interior looked great. (The best interior I've seen yet.) The underside, though was no better than anybody else. I'll post pictures of the bottom later. Maybe I'm just being too picky.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
62dPzRR5U5GDUuGztfh02sDbXY8BbRfUy7LJTvQCT18GZnhBurA5mXfch1bqmXDF