1 2 3 4
drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/16/19 12:25 p.m.

Instead if getting it snipped, have the DR's re-route the output to the bottom of your wrists. Then you can role play as Spider Man!! 

D2W
D2W HalfDork
8/16/19 12:28 p.m.
drsmooth said:

Instead if getting it snipped, have the DR's re-route the output to the bottom of your wrists. Then you can role play as Spider Man!! 

I'm not sure if that's the best thing I've ever heard, or the worst.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/16/19 12:29 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

If you had to name a different procedure that you may have experienced with a similar amount of pain?

Honestly?

I had much worse - and longer lingering - pain when I walked around the back of the Miata and forgot the draw bar was still in the hitch.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/16/19 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Dude, you can change the sheets

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
8/16/19 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

You ever get a small deep cut that requires a couple of stitches?  For me it was about like that with the added inconvenience of gravity and walking.  Biggest help for me was taking it easy for a couple of days and wearing tighter fitting underwear.  The actual soreness was like a mild muscle strain, it didn't bother me most of the time but when it did it was mostly just uncomfortable.  I think that's why there's so many warnings to take it easy, because you feel like you can do more even though that likely increases the risk for complications.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/16/19 12:37 p.m.
tuna55 said:

In reply to Duke :

Dude, you can change the sheets

Yeah, but it's nice not having to get out of bed for a cleanup run before you fall asleep together like a pile of puppies.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
8/16/19 12:41 p.m.

I had a botched one done by an older doctor that probably should have retired years ago. 

It felt like I was being kicked in the crotch for a year by a muay thai fighter everyday. I am an avid bike rider and could not even look at a bicycle seat. I think he accidently snipped a nerve. It was awful. 

I was very unlucky, and I think my situation is very rare. The good news is that I am fine now. The bad news is that all the promises made by my wife have not come true. At least I can't get my hand pregnant now. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
8/16/19 12:47 p.m.

Do it do it do it do it!

Everyone else has covered the procedure. General anesthesia is way over the top, I knew a urologist who did his own vasectomy so it isn’t that tough.

The “wake you up in a cold sweat” thought that getting snipped helps suppress is this:  remember that random hook up from XX years ago?  What if one slipped by back then and you have a 10 year old?   Oh, and baby mamma wants support.  But it gets even worse because she’s been on public assistance for the past 9 years so you that money back to the state.   I know more than one dude who is paying “child support” to the state on kids who are now in their mid 20’s.   Nightmare fuel dude, get snipped.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/19 12:52 p.m.
drsmooth said:

I can't find a source for it now but I once heard that the Australian Aborigines invented a surgery something like this...think side-dump exhaust cutout. Not for the faint of heart...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/16/19 12:54 p.m.

Yeah, I don't agree with the "it doesn't hurt" crowd at all. But it's worth it in the long run. I mean, we're talking about cutting a VERY sensitive area to tug out a piece of you to cut and solder the ends closed before tucking them back in and then using a needle to put some thread in there to close it up. That doesn't feel good. But a 10+ years later I don't remember the actual pain, just that it hurt and do remember the fun I've had since.... wink wink, nod nod. 

I ain't going to blow smoke up your ass, it's going to hurt. But it'll be over in a short time and your wife can get off the hormone screwer uppers she has to take. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
8/16/19 12:54 p.m.

The first time they attempted mine they couldn't find the second vas deferens and it looked like the doctor spent close to an hour and half punching me in the dick. The intern in the room wasn't as amused as I was by my increasingly dark sense humor as the procedure dragged on. The nurse seemed like she found it amusing though.

It took about two weeks for the swelling and bruising to go down so I could go and get an ultrasound to find out if I was missing a kidney or not (if I were missing one that would explain the missing vas deferens.) Anyway, I have two kidneys but the second tube in a weird position for some reason so they had to ultrasound my bits to map out where to go.

Second time it took about 20 minutes and I was doing stuff two days later. Things were just a bit uncomfortable for a day or so.

Anyway, the way the flow of the procedure for mine:

1. Consultation to explain what they're going to do, the fact that it does indeed make you sterile and can be reversed fairly easily if done within a certain time frame
  2. Schedule a date and they'll cut you a prescription for a pair of Valium.
  3. Shave your bits and pieces.
  4. Take the Valium some prescribed time period before the procedure.
  5. (Hopefully) Quick in and out. Procedure took less than 30 minutes.
  6. Ice and Motrin for a day or two.
  7. Stitches fall out a week or so later.

It's really not that bad if it goes right the first time. Uncomfortable yes, but it's not like getting a hernia repaired or other major surgery. If you have a cup and jock it helps a lot with the pain afterward by keeping everything supported.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/19 12:55 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
drsmooth said:

I can't find a source for it now but I once heard that the Australian Aborigines invented a surgery something like this...think side-dump exhaust cutout. Not for the faint of heart...

That is....very disturbing

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/16/19 12:55 p.m.

Simple really. Take a valium,  have some dude shave the twig and berries, local anesthetics,  snip snip, try not to giggle like a child when you smell the cauterization and realize you never thought youd smell your junk on fire. Camp out on the couch with some advil and a bag of peas. Wear nice fitting undies. Hardest part is no nookie time for a few weeks. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/19 12:56 p.m.

My wife's in menopause. Now she's just a sports model. I'm good.

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
8/16/19 1:11 p.m.

I had the no-incision variety 7 years ago. The longest part of the procedure was waiting for the doctor to come into the room. 

The most unnerving part was the shot in the testicles to numb them (the skin in that area has few nerve endings, the boys however, have lots). It didn't hurt, just felt weird. After that, a couple of pokes, snips, and cauterization (he also crimped the ends of the tubes with stainless wire), and I was done. I went home, took a couple of Advil, and chilled out for the evening. 

Every filling I've had done has been worse than that. If you're done having kids/don't want to have kids, do it now.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/16/19 1:17 p.m.

The one issue I had was the nurse forgot to bring out the valium when I got there. So I got it when I went into the room. 5 minutes later the doc starts working under the hood. Needless to say, stuff hadn't kicked in yet. But I was SUPER relaxed for the drive home. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/16/19 1:28 p.m.

Procedure was easy. In-office under local anesthetic.  A couple hundred bucks.  I walked home afterwards. No peas, or crap like that. 

Do it, but do it for the right reasons.

Unfortunately, I did it for the wrong reasons. I did it because I wanted more sex. My wife wanted me to do it because she was afraid of being pregnant while we were living overseas. Definitely the wrong (and selfish) reasons. 

9 years later, it was me that was desperate for another kid. A reversal is NOT a simple procedure, and it is elective surgery (insurance won’t cover it). The bill can easily be $30K. 

Doc told me the odds of a successful reversal were slim. Too much time had gone by. We now have 3 post-reversal kids. 

And for the record, the vasectomy DID NOT improve my sex life.  Probably made it worse.

Just be aware, the outcome is different for everyone. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/16/19 1:32 p.m.

At one point it was linked to an increased risk of prostate cancer. Is that still a valid concern or have subsequent studies proved otherwise? I’m assuming it’s not because I haven’t heard anything about it in years.  We won’t be considering this for the foreseeable future, but that’s one thing I would research before making a decision  

Friend of mine just got it done after 2 kids. He was bragging about how easy and pain free it was. About 36 hours later he said everything was extremely tender and black and blue-he sent us a pic of just his upper thigh and it looked brutal. 

That was probably 4 months ago and I haven’t heard of any issues since. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/16/19 1:41 p.m.

We're done with kids. Mary will be 11 soon. 

Main reason why is that my wife is starting to suffer from the current birth control. Side effects are worse the older we get. The more sex would be great, but thats NOT the reason. At all. I just want her as healthyas possible as long as possible. Shes my best friend. Hard to see her suffer from the side effects and knowing that there's a different option.

Overall, id doesn't sound nearly as bad as i thought it would be!

Have an appointment for Monday morning for consultation....

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
8/16/19 1:54 p.m.
thewheelman said:

I had the no-incision variety 7 years ago. The longest part of the procedure was waiting for the doctor to come into the room. 

The most unnerving part was the shot in the testicles to numb them (the skin in that area has few nerve endings, the boys however, have lots). It didn't hurt, just felt weird. After that, a couple of pokes, snips, and cauterization (he also crimped the ends of the tubes with stainless wire), and I was done. I went home, took a couple of Advil, and chilled out for the evening. 

Every filling I've had done has been worse than that. If you're done having kids/don't want to have kids, do it now.

Same.  Mine was 5 years ago now.  No-incision is the way to go!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/16/19 1:55 p.m.
mtn said:

At one point it was linked to an increased risk of prostate cancer. Is that still a valid concern or have subsequent studies proved otherwise?

I'm not a doctor or scientist, but I don't really see how that would be an effect.  There are no hormonal changes for the male and your prostate and Cowper's glands still operate normally..  Sperm are still produced.  They are just prevented from jumping into the pool when the party happens.  They sit around the lounge getting bored until their expiration date, and then they are reabsorbed, just like any other body cell that is replaced.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/16/19 2:03 p.m.

Hmm, I wonder if the No incision style would still be covered like the regular style. 

Going to be one of the first things I do when I actually have health insurance again. Sure, I love my kid, but I really REALLY REALLY don't even want the chance of another one, and since the Depot shot did such a great job of preventing this one I think it's time for a physical change. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
8/16/19 2:23 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

I'm pretty sure they told me 2 years was around when it became more difficult to reverse. After that it became increasingly difficult.

We are done anyway do it wasn't an item that mattered to me.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/16/19 2:39 p.m.

I had it done about 5-6 years ago.... Twice.  I was too much man for one Vasectomy.

Actually what happened was there was some... uh... shrinkage during the procedure and he suspects he cut one of the Vas twice instead of getting across to the second one.  So I likely have three cuts on one side and one cut on the other.

Recovery was simple.  Pain, but tolerable.  Feels like you got kicked in the nuts, but instead of the pain going away in an hour, it lasts 5 days.

The way my process went... got into a hospital gown and laid there while an incredibly gorgeous assistant shaved my nutsack.  That right there was worth the money.  Then they put a heating pad on it to prevent the shrinking part.  The first injection is the only discomfort.  There is a nerve cluster right in the middle.  It is THE nerve cluster that makes you double over in pain when you get tagged in the pills.  He sticks a needle in it with numbing stuff.  So for that split second, it hurts a bit, but then you can't feel them at all.

Then a tiny snip on each side.  He goes in with a little hook and pulls out each one.  My doctor had some pretty sound logic behind his method.    If you just snip, there is a small chance that they could A) grow back together, or B) enough swimmers will make it past the gap into the downstream tube.  He snips out about 1/2" of each one so the can't really do that.  He was also against the clamping idea.  Some doctors use a little crimp clamp to close it off.  He didn't do that because the clamp will just kill the tissue under it and it will fall off.  Instead he used an electrical device to cauterize each end of the tube.

I would do it again.  Pros... no more swimmers, no side effects that I found, and no children.  Cons... if I decide to change my mind on the kids thing (which I won't) I have two options; 1) have them harvest some upstream swimmers and go test tube (but that has all kinds of work for mum; hormones, harvesting, etc.) or a $20k surgery where they more or less filet your ball bag wide open and sew in a section of blood vessel to reconnect.

I'm SOOO happy I did it.  Never having to do any kind of birth control method is fantastic.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/16/19 2:43 p.m.

Not sure if this was clear...

I was ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN we were done having kids. 9 years later, not so much.

Things DO change. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LjY8xCtbBMSDY53ftkyVVQNy2TYRAl3nDigKzNPoGkBxybgsDvJCwG6rTgOyLP6U