1 2
pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/16/19 1:54 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

EVGA is phenomenal but unfortunately they only do Nvidia chipset cards which are an order of magnitude more expensive than AMD.

Sapphire is the best of the AMD cards but on a budget this tight you can't be picky...

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
12/16/19 7:00 p.m.

NVIDIA is also kinda hard for newbies to understand- you've got the old 10 series, the new RTX 20 series, the 16-series for budget ray tracing, and then you have the older 900s.

Mind, Radeon isn't much better- but their naming conventions are a little easier and their cards can do some odd stuff if you're into modding.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
12/16/19 7:01 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Thanks man! Yeah it was kinda a placeholder for the then and now- it's kinda funny how much better that design gets with another hundred tossed into it.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/16/19 7:10 p.m.

I tryed this in the spring but couldn't cut enough of my wants out too get it that cheap. I ended up with a "used" graphics card because a friend I know tests pc parts and still spent almost 700 bucks. Some of the linked builds don't seem terrible 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/17/19 6:25 a.m.

Thanks everyone. I learned enough to semi catch me up. I gave out a list that was pretty much Girthquake's. I'll update once we get it built. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/27/19 8:08 a.m.

This is fun. He got the processor last night but the motherboard hasn't come in yet. He doesn't know that he's getting a lot more parts Saturday from Grandma Stampie. He's been trying to plan out the build searching the internet for parts. I laughed inside when he picked out the graphics card that Grandma Stampie already bought. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/27/19 9:16 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Enjoy!  I think one of life's little joys is the satisfaction you get from building something that most people just buy and know basically nothing about how it's put together.  My son helped his Mom pick out a Gigabyte AORUS gaming MB and a new Ryzen 5 plus 16 GB of RAM, SSD and HD for my new box.  I think my current computer dates to 2008 or 2009.  AMD Athlon something and a whopping 4 GB RAM.  Time for an upgrade.  LOL.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
12/27/19 4:38 p.m.

Hey, those old Athlon's still see use in home plex servers! You'd be hard-pressed to find a processor THAT cheap that can still swing USB 3.1 laugh​​​​​​​

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/27/19 6:52 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Hey, those old Athlon's still see use in home plex servers! You'd be hard-pressed to find a processor THAT cheap that can still swing USB 3.1 laugh​​​​​​​

Honestly, I think this system has met my needs longer than any other computer I've ever owned, going back to 1992 when I got my first one, an AMD386DX40.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/19 8:05 p.m.

wait till you see the price of a decent sim rig set up, like double the price of a challenge car.  But from what i read the G29(PS3/4/PC) or G920(Xbox/PC) is the best bang for the buck still

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4YGgsxYzC3WVW3fdhHE3tIFFsBg1OiGsHWEYAXZe2ebCpL4MK4E12WDFMBFOP4HP