moxnix
moxnix Reader
11/5/12 3:28 p.m.

Good information on that radio here.
http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
11/5/12 3:37 p.m.

That looks like the definitive UV-5r site. Thanks for the linky.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/5/12 4:06 p.m.

I know only this: my neighbor growing up had what I would guess was a 100 foot tall antenna in the back yard. It was a triangular affair that I never had the nerve to climb. I bet he could talk to China on that thing!

When I bought my current house, the PO used to be a Ham operator, and left behind a 10-foot antennae in the back yard (atop a pole) with a large wire running into the house to his workbench. I felt kinda bad tearing it all out and scrapping it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/5/12 4:41 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

I had a 100 foot pole on my parents house. Well, technically it was my dad's, but i listened on it.

I need to fix my 2m in the back yard. It's on two posts.

I gave away my 12 element 2m. Had it on craigslist. The guy called thinking it was a joke. He was very happy to find out it wasn't. It was like giving a puppy a new home. Just didn't want to charge for it.

It will be nice living on The Hill. It's one of the highest points in Saint Louis, if the name didn't give it away.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
11/5/12 5:09 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Uh, how do you program it? Did you get the USB cable and software? Drivers are available at www.powerphone.com.cn. (I ask these things because my UV-5r is in the mail.)

My USB cable is still in the mail, so I just keyed in the local repeaters on the radio.

Most of the programming guides are wrong, as my radio (and I'm assuming yours) has newer firmware that automatically puts in the repeater offset instead of asking for an input and an output frequency. The instruction manual will tell you how to use the menu, but mine didn't even contain the word "programming," nevermind a section on how to.

I'm planning on using Chirp once my USB cable comes. Until then:

Hit the VFO button until it's in frequency mode
Key in your output frequency
Hit menu, then 25, then menu, then use the arrows to set + or - shift, then menu again, then exit. Now the radio knows whether to shift up or down.
Hit menu, then 26, then menu, then key in your offset (.6 for 2m, as an example), then menu again, then exit. Now your radio know that .6 is the offset on the 2m band.
Hit menu, then 27, then menu, then use the arrows to pick an empty channel (you can't overwrite existing ones), then hit menu again, then hit exit. The channel is now saved!

I hope that helps. All the guides online didn't work for me.

Hal
Hal Dork
11/5/12 5:31 p.m.

Looks like a nice radio. But I don't like setting the squelch in a menu. Around here there is enough RFI that having a squelch knob that you can quickly adjust is a handy feature.

Tom Suddard
11/5/12 5:35 p.m.

I'm not planning on keeping it forever, but it's a good starter radio. More importantly, it was $43.

$43.

$FORTY THREE

That's the same price as a set of those cheap FRS radios at WalMart.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
11/5/12 7:59 p.m.

Yeah. FORTY THREE BUCKS. The USB cable was 10 and the external mike/speaker 20. It's like, "Here's a free radio. The accessory microphone is $63."

moxnix
moxnix Reader
11/12/12 11:40 a.m.

This thread convinced me to upgrade.

Did a bit of study and practice tests.
Took Tech & General tests on 11/10/12 and passed.

KB3AYJ/AG

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/12/12 11:44 a.m.

In reply to moxnix:

What did you do to study?

moxnix
moxnix Reader
11/12/12 11:54 a.m.

Mostly used the No-Nonsense Guides and the tests from http://www.qrz.com/ht/

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/12/12 1:39 p.m.

Hasan! Just downloaded it before you responded. Reading material for moonlighting job.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/12/12 1:40 p.m.

That was supposed to be "Haaaah!" but I'm going to leave hut because "Hasan!" is funnier.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/12/12 3:07 p.m.

Well, now I am interested too. "Double-Hasan!" 73

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/2/13 3:09 p.m.

Tommy, you have inspired me to do this, I have been thinking about it off an on in the last several months and I have finally ordered an ARRL manual so that I can study and get my license.

I was wondering if you have been active much with it, I imagine you got your call sign by now.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/3/13 7:27 a.m.

Tommy has his call sign.

Go ahead and study up. Getting the tech license is easy. Thats all I have, but I expect to test within a year or two when things in my life finally slow down a bit.

I encourage you to go after the HAM hobby. Any of the operators here would be happy to help, myself included.

73 - K0HOF

EastCoastMojo
5/3/13 7:34 a.m.

Thanks Sperlo, of course all of you have inspired me to go ahead and get my HAM license. I have always been fascinated by it and I would like to be able to assist during weather emergencies if I can, maybe even do some spotting at some point. Thanks for the offer to help, I really appreciate it!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
5/3/13 7:46 a.m.

Darn you people! I'm actually considering doing this. How long should I study for the test? I'm a pretty good test taker, particularly if it's multiple choice.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/3/13 8:05 a.m.

T2, the technician test is super easy for good test takers. As for me, I took more time because I'm awful at tests.

There are practices tests that will help you determine if you're ready.

ECMJ, the best way to help uring weather emergencies is to storm spot. The spotters make the alarms go, "whooooooooo!"

EastCoastMojo
5/4/13 7:18 p.m.

I just took a practice exam on a site called aa9pw and passed! I thought it would be more difficult since I don't really have an electrical background, but it really was pretty easy. The manual I bought was for the general class, and I haven't even cracked it open yet, I've just been reading online study guides from a site called kb6nu.com. I encourage you to go for it T2!

Tom Suddard
5/4/13 7:51 p.m.

Hey, sorry I missed this original thread. I did indeed get my call sign, and I've been somewhat active on the local repeaters. I mainly use it when I'm in the middle of nowhere, for example I was in the Uwharrie national forest a few weeks ago and HAM radio was the only way to get information about the tornadoes rolling through.

I'm planning on getting more involved when I have more time this summer.

Tom Suddard
5/4/13 7:56 p.m.

Oh, and I stepped up to an Alinco DR-635t mounted in my truck with a through-the-roof NMO antenna. Range is astounding; from our house in Salt Springs (the middle of the Ocala national forest) I can easily talk to the repeaters in both Ocala and Palatka. It's great peace of mind where there is no cell service.

EastCoastMojo
5/4/13 8:44 p.m.

Probably the most overwhelming part is the incredible variety of radios that are available. I am hoping to get a chance to play with some machines before attempting a purchase. I have a few local clubs that I will check out once I am mobile again.

Tom Suddard
5/6/13 11:10 a.m.

I'd highly, highly recommend my radio. It has every feature I wanted (crossband repeat being a biggie), is easy to use/program, and has great range and clarity.

EastCoastMojo
5/6/13 11:25 a.m.

Thanks for the info! I will check that out, hopefully there is a local dealer so I can play with stuff before committing to a purchase. Also, I hope I didn't come across as a stalker

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xt5KN0CcsLoGyYUqrSDrfGcyxRRV2Bc1WViPhuXAhpGdmBDmbqYvBRizRkwAPysq