Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/9/18 10:39 a.m.

I'm cool with that. 

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/18 11:03 a.m.

Not sure if this was covered:

Home depot doesn't have much for excavation.  Just the mini ex and the Kubota compact tractor.  If you rent a bobcat with a bucket, you'll be very disappointed.  The bucket will go up to the dirt and then you'll spin the wheels barely making a dent.  Everything HD rents is for scooping piles of material; stone, mulch, sand, etc.  You need a toothed excavating bucket, and the only things they have with teeth are the little kubota and the mini ex.

Both of those will work, but it will be a little tedious and not fast.  I would see if there is a rental company with a bobcat with a small toothed bucket.  You'll probably have to take it by layers, but it will do the trick in a couple hours.

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
5/9/18 11:22 a.m.

Just something I haven't seen answered in this thread yet: Where are you putting the dirt that you are excavating?  If you aren't just moving it around your yard, it has to be hauled off, ergo you need a contractor with a dump truck?  

I echo all the sentiments about skill and experience when it comes to equipment.  I did several years as a heavy equipment guy, and I still do not consider myself much more than "adequate" on a skid-steer, but (based on hours of experience) I would consider myself highly skilled at others.  I would counter the point that mini-excavators (or any mini-equipment) are twitchy - they are designed to get in and out of places (like through a people-sized gate) that proper full-size equipment cannot.  Each piece of machinery will take some getting used to, and once that level of proficiency (in regards to that specific machine's hydraulics' responsiveness) is achieved, the machine won't seem twitchy.  

Good luck with the project!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/9/18 11:27 a.m.

If you decide on a Bobcat, see if the rental place rents a breaker attachment. You won't have to lug a jack hammer around if they do. There is the added satisfaction of destroying rocks with a nachine.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/9/18 11:34 a.m.

In reply to FIYAPOWA :

Again, no one expressed an issue with a mini excavator being twitchy. 

I said a mini backhoe was twitchy. 

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
5/9/18 11:38 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Agreed - I'm just pointing out that familiarity with a specific type/brand of equipment will eliminate the twitchy (operator skill).  I remember the difference of going between our Case backhoes (very sensitive controls) and the old John Deere backhoe (super sloppy controls) in the same day - it was a challenge to stay smooth jumping out of one into the other.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/9/18 12:11 p.m.

@pheller, wasn't there a thread about you making more driveway space a few years ago? Was that when you built the retaining wall? Either you posted a picture of your driveway before, or someone else posted almost the same picture or I am just suffering from deja vu.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/9/18 12:23 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

You are right.

I am pretty sure that was before he bought the house. Now he's getting to work!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/9/18 12:31 p.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/better-to-ask-forgiveness-construction-related/124265/page1/

Found it. Had to do some digging, but wanted to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. I knew I had seen a similar picture before.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
5/9/18 2:09 p.m.

Yep. I've pulled apart the retaining wall and exposed the area that need to be removed. 

I've also decided to take on this part of the project myself as I can do it cheaply and achieve the bare minimum of what I need. I also don't need a permit for this end of the project.

The culvert extension (and expanding the driveway to the street) requires a permit, concrete, more detailed excavatation, more material, etc. I got a quote from a local company who said $6000 on the low end. I can swing that, but I'm not entirely sure I need to. 

My hope is:

1) remove wall (done).

2) Excavate underlying dirt/rock, move that fill further back in the yard, separate/sift. I may build some terracing alongside the house where this fill be used. I've been in touch with some smaller companies/guys who've got their own equipment who might do this for a few hundred bucks. Score

3) Rebuild retaining wall myself, making sure to keep it under the height in which would require a permit. 

4) Have a landscaper (which are cheap and plentiful locally) lay the paver extension after I've prepped the space. 

At this point, I'd have a space big enough to park my truck well out of the way of my wife's car, and we'd be able to use the garage more easily without worrying about sideswiping the truck. I could also potentially park 2.5 vehicles in the space, versus a jenga style parking situation currently big enough for 1.5 (her Fit only fits because Fit).

Target cost? Under $1000. 

5) Then if I decided I need more space, I could extend the culvert which would give me space for 3 full vehicles (+1 in garage).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mcfqeh86CLfLvOLf7sXfK0eHf1GvpSOfOFcW6xZlA4tR8K6S6zipvsT7urchvgDO