classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
1/6/16 8:11 p.m.

Hive,

I'm looking to get into some sewing, and, obviously would like to be able to use it for sewing door panel covers, shift boots, etc out of vinyl and potentially leather. I've done a little bit of googling but I'd still be halpy to hear from those who have experience. What kind of machine should I be looking for on Craigslist? Would something like This work? It looks very sturdy and obviously Singer is a well known brand.

Any tips on what to check when looking at one in person?

Fyi Not looking to spend more than $150-200 for initial buy in

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
1/6/16 8:18 p.m.

I also know where to a 1948ish Necchi BU ($125 if it hasnt sold, also in a cabinet) that looked to be in pretty great shape, but I'd have to try and move that from Atlanta to Greenville which I really don't want to have to do. I'd rather buy in Greenville area if at all possible.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
1/6/16 8:25 p.m.

don't know about upholstery, but i do know a little about sewing machines in general. Singer used to be a very well respected brand, but newer ones suck. Hard. The one in that link is pretty old, so you're better off with that one.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/6/16 9:16 p.m.

Hotrodders.com has a whole forum dedicated to interior. Lots of talking about sewing machines over there.

Just another place to check out. That forum is a lot like here, just less eclectic, cheap, and friendly. But lots of very knowledgeable guys and great tech.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/6/16 9:25 p.m.

Look for a walking foot machine,Pfaff? or singer. Expect to pay for what you get.. buy as good as you can afford.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/6/16 9:47 p.m.

I have a singer 91 k (electric) that my aunt gave me some time ago. It sewed many an interior for my uncle and two cousins over the last 50 years.

Just pick up a heavy duty needle (put it in the right way!) and some upholstery thread.

My projects didn't turn out very well, but that wasn't the machine's fault

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/6/16 9:48 p.m.

Parts for Singers of all vintages are getting extremely hard to find, or when found, pricey.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/31/18 4:18 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe removed

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
8/31/18 1:15 p.m.

Buy something that works and the seller can show you that it will sew the vinyl and leather you want , 

Also have the seller show you how to thread it and how the bobbin works , 

Then practice making small bags to hold stuff etc

I have a friend that is great at sewing , so I just watched him ,  but he is retiring soon and moving so I better get my lessons quick :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A9Pfe0F2zwF8NHnXAkEX3f6U899sK4DX4cFH0x2gMtS4SvrorwFDol7F70wS7sug