mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
8/16/11 1:36 p.m.

Has anyone ever used a tractor trailer for long term storage? We have alot of large, heavy,bulky items that we need ability to store and then have moved about 30 miles twice a year( starting a new business and the model doesn't require a year-round location ). I've been looking at buying a 16-17ft box truck and I saw a few cheap trailer beds 48' for about a third of the price. I could lock one up and not have to worry about the weather or items walking away.

I have maybe two places that the trailer can be stored, fully loaded until we need it. What do I need to consider when buying and using one of these in this manner??

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
8/16/11 1:52 p.m.

How will you move it when the time comes? The deck on one is about 5 Feet off the ground will you need a forklift to load and unload?

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
8/16/11 2:01 p.m.

If you have to move in on the road then licensing can be an issue. Most states don't change much for a plate but you should have one. Then there is the annual inspection for said trailer done by a professional truck repair shop. Old trailers, or should I say cheap trailers, are cheap because then are at or near the end of their usable life span. Of course you are not going to use it that way a trucking company would use it so it can make a useful storage unit for may more years

As for buying a trailer, iInspect the unit for possible water leaks, rust in the frame, etc. Try to have the annual inspection done now by the seller as a part of the sale. Tires should have some tread but should not have any cuts, gouges, or cracks. Even a used truck tire can cost quite a bit if you have one go bad, and of course you have to have the guy come to you.

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
8/16/11 2:06 p.m.

I had one at one of my previous jobs. Called a local trucking company and they dropped it off the next day. It was 6-7 years ago, but I seem to recall about $50/month.

The only time it moved was when it was delivered and when we were done with it, but I'm sure it's something that could be done by them...

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/11 4:24 p.m.

On a related note, does anyone have any experience with using containers for long-term storage? I may need to store a lot of something, but won't need to move the containers. Something like this.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
8/16/11 4:27 p.m.

Do you mean like this: http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/collector-cars/muscle-cars/huge_muscle_car_stash_found

(Sorry don't have anything to add really. This just happened a couple years ago in my area.)

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
8/16/11 4:39 p.m.

@TRoglodyte -- I was thinking about buying/building a ramp for loading/unloading. A large portion of the items are heavy wooden frames that weigh about 60-70lb per. Total we will have 50+ frames, plus hardware and boxes. A local company here hires a semi driver to move their trailer when they need it moved.

@jimbbski -- I didn't think about yearly inspections. It will be on the road for maybe 60miles/per year. Maybe a box truck is a better fit right now. It least I could move it myself and take it where it needs to go.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
8/16/11 4:49 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: On a related note, does anyone have any experience with using containers for long-term storage? I may need to store a lot of something, but won't need to move the containers. Something like this.

To kinda echo this, how easy would a storage container like this be to move around? Do they make flatbeds big enough to move something like this?

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
8/16/11 5:08 p.m.

Sample from the googles...

http://www.nationwidecontainers.com/rentalstorage-container-delivery-tips/

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
8/16/11 5:32 p.m.

Moisture can be a problem with temperature changes- my car has lines across it from the frost melting and dripping off the ribs in the roof.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
8/16/11 6:28 p.m.

I would like to find an old U-Haul to use as a garage for my motorcycles. Something small enough to store two or three bikes.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/11 8:36 p.m.

I have to say this. I worked for a company that used both tractor trailers and storage bins for storage. They are cold in winter as you would expect.. but they get Blazing hot in summer... I once burned my back crawling across some stuff to get to the back when I brushed against the roof of one of them

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/11 8:44 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I have to say this. I worked for a company that used both tractor trailers and storage bins for storage. They are cold in winter as you would expect.. but they get Blazing hot in summer... I once burned my back crawling across some stuff to get to the back when I brushed against the roof of one of them

This. If you have anything that can't take the heat, find something else. I'm guessing you could cook a hog in one without too much trouble.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro New Reader
8/16/11 8:58 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote: I would like to find an old U-Haul to use as a garage for my motorcycles. Something small enough to store two or three bikes.

Look here if you are looking for a truck. http://www.uhaul.com/TruckSales/

I didn't find listings on their site for trailers, so you may have to call them. Otherwise, you can find trailers on CL, with times tough there are some good deals out there.

To the OP, how about a storage shed? A friend has a 10x20 shed he has on skids (think big 6x6s) so it can easily be moved by a flatbed wrecker.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
8/16/11 9:51 p.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro:

That's an idea. Most people I've checked w/ charge around $1k to move a shed. One or two return trips would start to add up.

@mad_machine -- What about a solar powered attic fan placed on the side of the trailer to pull heat out? Crap, this is starting to add up fast.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/16/11 11:20 p.m.
RossD wrote: Do you mean like this: http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/collector-cars/muscle-cars/huge_muscle_car_stash_found (Sorry don't have anything to add really. This just happened a couple years ago in my area.)

IIRC that was in "The Hemi In The Barn" or one of the "In The Barn" books. Cool story for sure.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/11 7:24 a.m.
mrwillie wrote: @mad_machine -- What about a solar powered attic fan placed on the side of the trailer to pull heat out? Crap, this is starting to add up fast.

the trouble is.. in direct sunlight, it turns into a giant metal oven. No amount of ventilation is going to stop that.

You COULD maybe insulate it.. but it's still going to get toasty in there as the insulation just heat soaks

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro New Reader
8/17/11 7:43 a.m.
mrwillie wrote: In reply to 81cpcamaro: That's an idea. Most people I've checked w/ charge around $1k to move a shed. One or two return trips would start to add up.

Well my friend has a friend with a wrecker, so it's cheap for him. Always good to be friends with a wrecker. If it is setup right, it could be moved with a car trailer or equipment trailer (think bobcat trailer), depending on its weight.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
8/17/11 12:28 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Oh yeah. They are brutally hot inside in the summer.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/17/11 8:22 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: On a related note, does anyone have any experience with using containers for long-term storage? I may need to store a lot of something, but won't need to move the containers. Something like this.

I had one of those for three years as my garage. When it came time to move I thought, Hmmm....

No dice. It takes a massive crane to move one with something in it. The roll-off trailers that deliver them are very light duty.

That's also one of the reasons why the PODS are so small.

But... maybe a couple PODS might work for you?

Edit: I never had trouble with mine being too hot in Los Angeles on a 1-acre paved lot. Mine opened at both ends, so when you first opened it it was pretty warm but within 2 minutes it was the same temp as outside.

curtis73
8/17/11 8:27 p.m.

You might also consider a step van. It would suck to register a vehicle year round just to use it occasionally but they're pretty cheap. I've had two. One was a 78 chevy 350 gas with a 4 speed. I got it free, but it was a steel body and rotted away. I traded it for a laptop and bought an 87 Grumman aluminum wide body with a 6.2L diesel and TH400. Not very fast but it was $2000 and worked like a charm.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
8/18/11 2:23 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

I haven't seen a step van that would be big enough. I think we're either gonna go w/ a ex-uhaul truck( maint and constant non-use are two big negatives w/ this option ) or a cargo container. I got a quote on a 20' used container for around $2600? Sound about right? If we got the container, we would use it just for storage and rent a truck for the moves.

curtis73
8/18/11 1:37 p.m.

You can find containers for around $1000 if you shop hard, but then you're still stuck when it comes to moving it... unless you're getting the whole trailer with wheels.

Once a bare container has a box of feathers in it I can't think of anyone that will touch it except a 200' shipyard crane.

I've seen step vans as big as 24' but not common. Once you get over 18-20' the P30 chassis is overtaxed. You can get the freightliner or workhorse chassis up to 24' but they're more expensive.

What about a FEMA trailer? There are a few of those around and they're nearly new and dirt cheap.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
8/19/11 12:05 a.m.

Just as an update,we've had some unexpected issues come up. My budget went from little to nothing in only a few hours. Frustrating, but its just something I have to roll w/ for now. Hopefully, I can go through this exercise in the spring or fall but right now its off the table.

Thanks for all the help.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9SpMYvidzwaAHxmoIpKr6tIwZ4DnUeqOGQvO833Yz0ruHYXDzSB2zWPCUq85GZ7l