sporqster
sporqster Reader
4/15/16 8:22 a.m.

38 years old, 5'11" 165lbs. I'm not 'overweight' per se, but my torso has more in common with a yellow minion than it does with He-man. I decided it was time to do something about it and I joined a gym.

Some sweet talking got my enrollment fee waived, but no sooner had I paid my first months membership than I realized I have no berkin clue what I'm doing with regards to weight training. Anyone want to be or point me towards a virtual personal trainer? I don't want to have to spend the money or the hassle of scheduling a personal trainer every time I show up at the gym, which might be at stupidly early in the morning because of my schedule. But someone or something to give me a regimen, track my progress, and give me the occasional admonishment or attaboy would keep me engaged.

PS, unless you count wrestling a front wheel drive transmission into a car sitting on jackstands weight lifting, I've not lifted weights in... lets say never. I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/15/16 8:27 a.m.

If you find a good one let me know. I've tried several apps and didn't really like them. The Strong Lifts 5x5 App was about the best.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/16 8:30 a.m.

I had no idea if virtual personal trainers were a thing, but it turns out they are. The vast majority of them cost money though, and a lot of them look like they're trying to sell you stuff first and actually help you get a workout done second.

Try searching in your phone's app store for "fitness trainer" and see what comes up. This one for Android seems to be free:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skimble.workouts&hl=en

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
4/15/16 8:39 a.m.

I would second the stonglift 5x5 app. Free and easy to use. Gives you a good overall lifting regimine and starts you off with just the 45lb bar.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/15/16 11:19 a.m.

http://www.amazon.com/Arnolds-Bodybuilding-Men-Arnold-Schwarzenegger/dp/0671531638/ref=la_B000AP7VZW_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460737122&sr=1-5

Dated book, but you can't argue with the guys's results.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
4/15/16 11:35 a.m.

My wife and I are both weightlifters/bodybuilders. We do the stupid early in the morning to the gym thing too...we're there at 4:40am every day.

If you're 5'11" and 165lbs and say you have a bit of a belly, you definitely need to redistribute your weight, as you're probably high on the body fat count.

You won't find a free trainer to give you a kick in the butt or pat on the back. Trainers giving that kind of feedback cost money. And they aren't cheap...trust me on that. But you don't need one right now anyway. The 5x5 workout is a wonderful place to start. Just Google Bill Starr's 5x5 workout and you'll get more than you need. It's a great routine to hit all the key muscle groups. Do that for a while, then if you want to start getting more into it, you can then start adding variety and mixing things up. But for now, use the 5x5 and get into a solid routine. Don't overdo it. If you've never lifted, don't worry about how much you can lift, focus on form. Do the exercises properly, to avoid injury and get the best results. It's almost like autox...the first time you go, just figure out how to get through the cones, then figure out how to go fast. Same here...get the process down, then worry about adding weight. Go light on the cardio, if not skip it all together. Doing all cardio gets you "skinny fat".

Don't forget the nutrition piece. The gym will do you very little good for muscle building if you don't feed your body properly. Plenty of protein. You don't have to "bulk up" if you don't want to. I'm 5'9" and weigh around 170lbs, so I'm not a huge guy, but have good muscle definition...and I'm 44 years old.

Good luck!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/16 11:40 a.m.

A lot of gyms will give you a session or two with a trainer as part of a welcome package. They're hoping you sign up for regular sessions and that you learn to use what's at the gym so you stick around. It's worth asking about.

sporqster
sporqster Reader
4/15/16 11:54 a.m.

Stronglift 5X5 installed on my phone, thanks for the tip. And, I'm taking advantage of the gym's free personal trainer session (good call Keith) this Tuesday too, if nothing else learn how to use the machines and do the exercises without wrecking myself or the equipment.

Thanks for the suggestions!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
4/15/16 12:37 p.m.

Stronglift 5X5 is good. I like Madcow 5x5 as well. Ramp up slowly and be consistent. Also body weight is not the end all, get a good body fat caliper and learn how to use it.

Also get measured for arms legs and core so that you have something to compare to. I am still 200lb's exactly the same as when I started but I could not rep 100 out on bench let alone 225+.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/15/16 12:52 p.m.

It might be worth it for you to actually pay for the trainer for a month or two. I'm considering doing that myself.

I have to say though, 5'11" 165? I've never seen you and don't know your body type, but I'm 5'10". The last time I was 165 was in high school. You could count every single rib. It sounds to me like your diet needs a serious overhaul.

Load up on the protein. Load up on the fruits and veggies. Cut back on the carbs. Notice, please, that I didn't say eliminate gluten or carbs or rice or anything like that--there is nothing bad about any of that, just know that they convert to sugar easily and then fat. Count the calories (and make sure you get enough). Also notice that I didn't say that you need to eat less or more--I don't know which. You need to figure that out (see paragraph below). The issue for me: Cutting back on the alcohol. I cut beer from about 10 a week to about 3 a week (with some exceptions). It took 1.5 weeks of this, and starting to count calories to notice my pants fitting better.

I would recommend consulting a private trainer AND Registered Dietitian to figure out your caloric needs, but you probably don't need to go that far. Start using MyFitnessPal or Fitbit and tracking your food and your workouts (weight training AND cardio). Adjust as you go along to fit your needs (caloric net-negative to lose fat).

Some general points that I like to make on this subject:

• Less than 1800-3500 calories a day, depending on the individual person, is usually right. Right now I'm shooting for 1600-2500 a day depending on my activity level. That will change in about 2 more weeks to 1800-2500.
  • Make sure you're getting your fruits and veggies, and you've made sure you're getting everything you really need(at least one serving of each a day, but better to make it a serving of each at each meal)
  • Protein is necessary for muscle building, which will improve metabolism--i.e. someone who is 200lbs and all muscle will burn more calories just sitting down than someone who is 200lbs and all fat.
  • Because of the above point, weight lifting/strength training is pretty much a win-win for fat loss (not necessarily weight loss)
  • Gluten is not bad at all, and anyone who tells you that is lying (ignoring Celiac's). However, the gluten free lifestyle does cut out pretty much all the E36 M3ty food
  • Calories in < Calories out, and you will lose weight. Eat the fruits and vegetables, and you'll be healthy doing it too. Count them. Do it on a notepad you carry with you, or on your cell phone. Track it somehow, every single thing you eat from a single cracker to a full meal. Booze needs to be included in this; they don't call it a beer belly for nothin'. Want to eat more? Move more.

(Note: I'm married to a Registered Dietitian and have played sports my whole life. I know more than the average bear, but not enough that I wouldn't take any of this without a grain of salt--although I'll skip the grain of salt due to my genetic tendency of high blood pressure)

sporqster
sporqster Reader
4/15/16 3:28 p.m.

I hear you MTN - to be clear, I'm not looking to lose weight, I could likely stand to gain the right kind of weight. But I do track my calories down to every snack soda and beer, for reasons beyond the scope of this thread having more to do with mutual suffering required to keep my wife on a reasonable diet.

I'm just kind of skinny with no muscle definition. I stay that way by sitting at a desk all day but eating one meal per day, AVERAGING 1200 calories/day, and going on vegetarian / pescatarian diets whenever my hipster jeans feel uncomfortable. By averaging, I mean that some days I have 600 calories worth of nachos all day, and then maybe I eat half a pizza the next day and wash it down with craft beer. It averages out to 1200. I know, your Registered Dietitian spouse would probably have strong words for my dieting methods, but it works for me - at least in so far as I keep my weight under control so I don't have to shop for bigger jeans. BUT, as per the purpose of this post that is not to say I'm proud of how I look at the beach. I recognize I may need to eat better/differently to feed a healthier looking physique.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
4/15/16 3:44 p.m.

Actually, averaging 1200 a day is probably strangling your body. My wife who's preparing to do a bodybuilding show eats more than that. If you eat that little, your body goes into conservation mode and holds onto every last calorie it can. Unleash yourself from those chains. I eat around 2500-3500 per day, depending if I'm "bulking", "cutting" or "maintaining". Like I said, I'm only 170lbs. Eat the right foods, as mtn outlined. Your body needs the right proteins, fats and carbs (yes...carbs). Fruits are typically more carb heavy than veggies, but that's not a bad thing at all, it can be a good source for daily carbs.

For now, I'd stick with the basics. Don't worry about advanced stuff. If you're using the machines, not a ton to worry about with safety. Just use them as intended and you'll be fine. Push yourself, but don't kill yourself. Eat. Eat properly. Plenty of people have a nice beach body and still have a beer or two, or some nachos. It's only if you want to have the hard core 6 pack and ripped muscles that you need to go nuts with nutrition. However, you need to have a really solid base nutrition plan...then the occasional snack/beer/whatever is fine.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/15/16 3:46 p.m.

1200 calories? I'm 6'1". 210 lbs. try to go to the gym 5 days a week and get headaches if I eat less than 2800 calories. Ugh. I was down to 195lbs recently but just have been gaining weight since them. Still fit in a smaller size of jeans but. Man I fill out a shirt now. But I've been on a bit of a bulk recently. Time to start cutting.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/15/16 3:58 p.m.

It sounds like the only thing your diet is working for is to keep you in skinny jeans.

If you want to bulk up, you're going to need a lot more than 1200 calories. My 1600 caloric intake goal is for a day where I don't run, play hockey, or do more than a mile of walking. That means I come to work, sit at the computer all day, and then go home and get in my recliner before I go to bed. The intake goes up from there depending on what I do (caloric output tracked by fitbit, which isn't perfect but is pretty good). And I'm only on such a restriction because I am actively trying to lose fat. In about 2 weeks when my fitness plan starts to involve weights, that is going to go up significantly--figure around 2500 to 3200 average, with the goal of most of those calories coming from protein.

Oh, and if you want a more defined body, unfortunately the nachos and pizza aren't helping you. Start thinking salmon, chicken, steak, quinoa, tuna, beans. (I know, you know nachos and pizza aren't helping).

FWIW, I (and my wife) don't really practice what we preach all that well. We're pretty good, probably better than most, but chorizo tacos and ice cream come out at least once a week. I cave in to liver sausage once a month or so. And don't mention cookie dough to her. But we have chicken 3-4 times a week, salmon 1-2 times a week, a vegetarian meal 1-2 times a week. The dinner leftovers become lunch. There is always a fruit or veggie with every meal.

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
4/15/16 4:08 p.m.

The Spartacus Workout (I think that's the name...)

Do this circuit 3 days a week. Perform 1 set of each exercise in succession. Each station lasts 60 seconds. (Enough weight for 30 reps) 1.Goblet Squat 2.Mountain Climbers 3.Single Arm Dumbbell Swing/Squat 4.T-push-up 5.Dumbbell Split Jump / Lunge 6.Dumbbell Row 7.Dumbbell Side Lunge and Touch 8.Push-up Position Row 9.Dumbbell Lunge and Rotate 10.Dumbbell Push Press

On days you aren't doing the circuit do a fun exercise, jogging, cycling, swimming etc...

STM317
STM317 Reader
4/18/16 8:05 a.m.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the need to address flexibility and range of motion in addition to the strength training. Being more flexible and increasing your range of motion can allow you to perform lifts better, and will reduce the likelihood of injuries too. And stretching will help reduce soreness after a workout, which can keep you from becoming disheartened with your new workout routine.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
4/18/16 1:14 p.m.

I always hate how we're so quick to tell people they are at unhealthy weight.

Even at the best shape of my life, running miles every week, lifting a few times every week, way back when I ran track in highschool I still was on the high-end of the body weight at 190lbs at 6'. Now at 31, I'm at 230lbs. I have a MASSIVE ass, big thighs, and wide shoulders. I have less gut than most people my age half my weight. I ride, hike, and run often, don't eat much if any red meat, and have limited sugar and pasta/bread intake.

In doctors appointments and physicals I've never had a doctor mention my weight, why? Because I don't look heavy enough to warrant the conversation.

Unfortunately though, I could stand to lose oh...30lbs or more.

My wife, on the other hand, is actually an ideal weight. She's always been told she has the perfect body type and is in great shape, but she can't do a push up, pull up, or any type of body weight exercise outside of a sit up and has the flexibility of dry piece of pine. She'll probably live to be an octogenarian while I'll die at 70 (unless I go keto-veg).

Last year I had a good talk with a coworker who is an active competitive lifter and strong man. I divulged my weight and weight history, my diet, etc. He suggested two things: that I stop eating cheese and dairy, and that I lift. Both are easier said than done.

STM317
STM317 Reader
4/18/16 1:33 p.m.
PHeller wrote: I always hate how we're so quick to tell people they are at unhealthy weight. Even at the best shape of my life, running miles every week, lifting a few times every week, way back when I ran track in highschool I still was on the high-end of the body weight at 190lbs at 6'. Now at 31, I'm at 230lbs. I have a MASSIVE ass, big thighs, and wide shoulders. I have less gut than most people my age half my weight. I ride, hike, and run often, don't eat much if any red meat, and have limited sugar and pasta/bread intake. In doctors appointments and physicals I've never had a doctor mention my weight, why? Because I don't look heavy enough to warrant the conversation. Unfortunately though, I could stand to lose oh...30lbs or more. My wife, on the other hand, is actually an ideal weight. She's always been told she has the perfect body type and is in great shape, but she can't do a push up, pull up, or any type of body weight exercise outside of a sit up and has the flexibility of dry piece of pine. She'll probably live to be an octogenarian while I'll die at 70 (unless I go keto-veg). Last year I had a good talk with a coworker who is an active competitive lifter and strong man. I divulged my weight and weight history, my diet, etc. He suggested two things: that I stop eating cheese and dairy, and that I lift. Both are easier said than done.

And this is why using weight to judge physical fitness is stupid. It's related measures like BMI aren't much better either. If I had to judge fitness/health using a single, easily obtainable number, it would probably be body fat percentage. There was a time in my life when I was considered "overweight" by medical professionals but I worked out 12 hours/week, was in pretty good cardio condition, and had a body fat percentage under %10. Weight should only be used to track trends in your own body over time. Using it to judge fitness levels, or compare to other people is a waste of time.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
4/18/16 1:35 p.m.
DanyloS wrote: The Spartacus Workout (I think that's the name...) Do this circuit 3 days a week. Perform 1 set of each exercise in succession. Each station lasts 60 seconds. (Enough weight for 30 reps) 1.Goblet Squat 2.Mountain Climbers 3.Single Arm Dumbbell Swing/Squat 4.T-push-up 5.Dumbbell Split Jump / Lunge 6.Dumbbell Row 7.Dumbbell Side Lunge and Touch 8.Push-up Position Row 9.Dumbbell Lunge and Rotate 10.Dumbbell Push Press On days you aren't doing the circuit do a fun exercise, jogging, cycling, swimming etc...

Sparticus 2012 and Bootcamp are also good and similar style workouts. Beware they never get easy, you just puah harder.

I try and do 1-2 of them a week in between running days. (I like to run)

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
4/18/16 3:26 p.m.

The wife used 5x5 while ramping up for her powerlifting meet and loved it. She had some great results and made great progress.

I haven't tried that one. I usually bounce between 5/3/1 ( https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength )and a total body strength circuit called "Built for Bad" ( https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/built-for-bad-strength-circuits ). Dumb name, I know, but the results are phenomenal if you're looking to rapidly increase work capacity and improve body composition. I can't run it for too long because I don't recover or progress as quickly as most of the guys who use it or the guy who wrote it for some reason... cough roids cough Also with the intensity and frequency of the program the risk of injury drastically increases the longer you're using it. Despite that I'm a huge fan of Christian Thibaudeau and his workouts.

I REALLY like total body programs. When I was use BfB I substitute high rep, bodyweight exercises for the weight movements every other day to prevent injuries and aid recovery. Also the low rep scheme of BfB makes you miss a good pump.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/19/16 12:55 p.m.

My advice is to start slow and don't be embarrassed by your workout in comparison to the people that have been hitting the gym consistently for the past 20 years.

Doing manmakers with minimal weight (like 5 pounds in each hand) is a great way to start working most of your muscle groups. Worry about increasing repetitions at first, then increase weight later.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P8zgXv2GJD3MpUrfykl0cSM5hYFp8QseX4Wp9KTmQmoG45xBeJNsTdTgSG2xlt7A