Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
11/22/20 11:45 a.m.

I figure I check on here before spending $359 on one just to use it one time. My 10 year old son has been trying to get his LEGO sorted and he has been getting frustrated with it because it's a lot of bins to keep track of and difficult for him not knowing what's inside. He has ADHD. He found a link online from a LEGO collector offering free PDF's to print the LEGO labels for the bins via Brothers P Touch. 

The information is here. 

https://brickarchitect.com/labels/

I'll be happy to send you a $25 gift card of your choosing for your troubles if you can get them printed and sent to my son. Send me a message if you can help with this or have a better idea. 

Here is a picture of his massive project.

Still have to go out and buy another full set of rows or two (crazy how expensive they are) before it's all off the floor or the large tote bins. My wife ain't happy about this taking up the entire wall of his bedroom but she really wants them off the floor. He has been talking non stop about wanting a loft bed so that he can have more floor space for his LEGO projects. That won't happen anyway since he is scared of heights. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/23/20 8:19 a.m.

I have the PT-600 printer at work, but I will have to see how much label tape 1340 labels at 2" each uses up.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/23/20 8:29 a.m.

My brother had a small suitcase with all his Legos in it (this was the latter part of the 1970's when you just mainly bought blocks and not really kits).  He said part of the process was finding the part you want knowing in your head it's in the suitcase. 

He claims he became a mechanical engineer due to building crap with Lego's and once he had a design for work in his head and used Lego's to build the concept to get started.  

Good luck with your project.  

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/23/20 8:47 a.m.

Holy cow, that's a lot of bins.

I only have the Brother PT-90.  It apparently cannot do what you need.  If it could I would help but it cannot.  (I would also have to buy stock in AAA batteries as it is a bit batery hungry)

Have you considered printing them on an inject onto address label stock?  Not sure how well it would work/stick to your specific drawers.  The brother labels are pretty durable and fade resistant, though I've had issues with them sticking to some molded plastic bins.  They seem to do OK with most of the clear smooth surface plastics but any of the "tupperware" with a bit of texture they fall off of.   

That said it's great and we use it frequently to label things.  It's very handy to have around.

Also it sounds like this one would do what you want for ~$100

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OCEKCB2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=thebrickarchitect-20&linkId=debb0ec67aff5b7d7d35224d45e34458

As a portion of total cost of the storage project a $100 label maker that then you will have to use moving forward seems pretty good.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/23/20 9:03 a.m.

If you have a computer and printer I would suggest Avery type labels.  They do stick good.  I have used them to create repro stickers for motorcycles.

You will of course either need a LOT of them, or will need to do a lot of cutting to get them to a small size.

Looking at you link, I would suggest printing the preview sheet on some very large labels (e.g. 2 per page). Then cut them.  The preview pages might need to be aligned / arranged at bit to fit the labels of course.  If you need help with that (easiest done with the help of illustrator or similar program) I am sure someone here will help you with that, including me.

The work around to Illustrator would be to zoom in on the labels (to get them a descent resolution for printing on screen) and take numerous screen shots, then paste those pics into Word or similar program and arrange appropriately.  Looking at the preview file, it seems to be a high enough resolution for that.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
11/23/20 9:24 a.m.
nocones said:

Also it sounds like this one would do what you want for ~$100

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OCEKCB2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=thebrickarchitect-20&linkId=debb0ec67aff5b7d7d35224d45e34458

As a portion of total cost of the storage project a $100 label maker that then you will have to use moving forward seems pretty good.  

I got this Brother PTD600 just a couple of weeks ago.  It was on sale at OfficeMax for $60.  Label stock will cost about $15 for 26 feet.  I've been labeling my new tool box.  It is way better than those handheld labelers I used to have.  I recommend the PTD600.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
11/24/20 3:25 p.m.
Jerry said:

I have the PT-600 printer at work, but I will have to see how much label tape 1340 labels at 2" each uses up.

I can buy the 4pk of label tapes that Amazon has and send them to you if that helps. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/25/20 1:17 a.m.

I always thought that was a poor choice for a name. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/5/23 10:11 a.m.

Spam deleted on this 2+ year old thread.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZxL8Idp1MElfQYycQMV0kLlrnLTNrvajAtRuZbuvdC3UIxtrqvafC1AaREZllbDS