1 2 3
fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
7/13/18 8:17 p.m.

It's time to shop for a new bed/mattress.  I've got shoulder issues and my wife has snoring issues, so we're looking for an adjustable bed.  What I've researched so far suggests that memory foam is the way to go with an adjustible base because it conforms to the contours better.

We've tried memory foam in the past and it trapped too much heat.  They seem to have developed cooler options now.  The Purple mattress seems like a good air flow candidate and they have an adjustable base option (with massage).

I'm tempted to start with Casper because they offer a 100 day trial, so if I doesn't work we're not out much.

WWGRM buy?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/13/18 8:33 p.m.

We bought a bed from IKEA. Strangely, it was worked well. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/13/18 8:34 p.m.

Here is some previous GRM chatter about mattresses. 

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/18 9:03 p.m.

We have a bed in a box from Tuft And Needle.  I was really surprised by how good it is.  They also have a free trial period.  

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
7/13/18 9:42 p.m.

When she said 'take me to bed, or lose me forever'...I got latex.

We found natural latex foam to be more comfortable for us than memory foam, and cooler, and anti-microbial, etc. It is a heavy and awkward SOB to flip/rotate though.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/13/18 10:25 p.m.

We just got a Tempurpedic adjustable bed. So far all os good except the price I paid. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
7/13/18 10:29 p.m.

I've started to develop shoulder issues like wtf is that about other than age? So if I secure the dream apartment in October I'll roll the dice on Purple. Got nothing other than I'm gonna be a guinea pig later this year.smiley

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/18 10:38 p.m.

I don’t know what brand of adjustable bed my in laws bought but I’m trying to sleep on it now and it’s not working.  This thing is remarkably uncomfortable.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/13/18 11:00 p.m.

Our current ten year old memory foam mattress leaves me feeling on waking up like I forgot to pay the Italian loan shark. I might actually be afraid to go to bed at this stage ( ie posting here at midnight)

Lot of interest in this thread. Will look into the other link

Pete

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/14/18 1:07 a.m.

I just got done with a 14-day stint in Germany and Netherlands. The mattresses here are different. A 3" or so top mattress (soft, but not overly so) on top a much firmer cushion that serves the same purpose as a box spring. 

I always have trouble sleeping. I've never slept better than these last two weeks.  I'm shopping for one when I get home. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/14/18 7:25 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

I've started to develop shoulder issues like wtf is that about other than age? So if I secure the dream apartment in October I'll roll the dice on Purple. Got nothing other than I'm gonna be a guinea pig later this year.smiley

LMK how it goes. Their marketing/merchandising is certainly on-point. We paid way too much for a Jamison(?) memory foam a few years ago and it’s on its last legs. Considering Purple or Casper.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/14/18 8:51 a.m.

Almost 2 year review on the Novaform from Costco: still really ducking nice. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
7/14/18 9:17 a.m.

Best thing I did for sleep was get more active and drop 50 lbs.  Used to wake up every day with a sore back and walk around like a 90 year old (I was 30).  Now at 36 I wake up feeling fresh and rested, never have a sore back, good to sleep on 1" thick camping pads, don't walk around sore for half the day, etc.  Don't neglect your physical health.  I did and that was stupid.  

Ikea memory foam mattress is nice, thats what we use, works great, nice price, pick it up and take it home, etc.  

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
7/14/18 3:33 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

My shoulder problem goes back to a partial tear that I didn't take care of in my 20s.  It went away, but now I'm in my 40s and it's come back to haunt me.  Cortisone shots keep things in shape for a few months at a time, but the PT says I need to keep things in a neutral position when I sleep .. so that's driving the need for the adjustable bed.

Top two contenders so far are Purple and Casper.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/14/18 3:35 p.m.
T.J. said:

We just got a Tempurpedic adjustable bed. So far all os good except the price I paid. 

The price on those is positively horrifying. 

Kramer
Kramer Dork
7/14/18 3:38 p.m.

I just got a hybrid memory foam/conventional mattress.  Not the cool foam, but the foam isn't that thick.   I still get very hot in it, and it is difficult to turn over in my sleep.  Pretty much hate it, but my wife likes it.  So I suffer. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/14/18 3:49 p.m.
mtn said:

Almost 2 year review on the Novaform from Costco: still really ducking nice. 

Same here

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/15/18 8:00 a.m.

In reply to fromeast2west :

Same here (Purple & Casper) Would be really interested to hear from anyone with a purple. Not sure if it’s real science or smoke & mirrors.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/15/18 9:21 a.m.

Whatever you get make sure you can see, feel and lay on it in person before you buy. I’m still shopping for a good mattress myself. One thing to keep in mind is what works for someone else, may not exactly be the right one for you. I recently purchased a memory foam mattress off the internet based largely in part by a members high recommendation here. Slept one night on it only to find it offered as much support as a hammock. Boxed it up and returned it (repackaging a mattress isn’t exactly fun) for a full refund. I’m certainly not blaming anyone else, it’s all on me it was my decision to purchase in the first place. Lesson learned for me. 

In car speak, take it for a test drive before you buy.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/15/18 9:31 a.m.

We've had a Englander, traditional coil spring mattress, with memory foam top layer, on box springs for almost 10 years now.  I'm sure there have  been advancements in mattress tech since we bought ours, but we have no complaints.  We did go to a lot of stores, and tried A LOT of mattresses before we picked the Englander.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/18 12:17 p.m.

Been thinking about a Purple mattress myself. I currently have a full size mattress with memory foam topper. I like it, but since I'll have another person in the bed in a month after the wedding, I've been thinking about a Queen size upgrade. The cool (temp) factor of the purple mattress seems nice, it's just hard to justify buying without feeling it. Sounds like the return/refund process is easy enough if it doesn't work well, but still hard to pull the trigger on. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/16/18 12:32 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:

Been thinking about a Purple mattress myself. I currently have a full size mattress with memory foam topper. I like it, but since I'll have another person in the bed in a month after the wedding, I've been thinking about a Queen size upgrade. The cool (temp) factor of the purple mattress seems nice, it's just hard to justify buying without feeling it. Sounds like the return/refund process is easy enough if it doesn't work well, but still hard to pull the trigger on. 

Would you sleep on something smaller than a twin bed (by yourself) every day? A king sized bed is the same width as 2 twins. 

Save some more money and get a king sized bed. It was one of the best things my wife and I ever did for our marriage. We slept on a full for a year+. Went to king, and now when we sleep on Queens (hotel rooms, or sometimes on vacation) we definitely notice that we don't have enough space. I don't care if you have to put the dressers in the hallway. Get the king sized bed. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/18 12:40 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Thanks for the input there. I've also been considering a King. It would definitely require some rearranging, but I'm not opposed to that. She is a very small person overall, but in the end more space is probably better than less. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/18 8:12 p.m.
Mndsm said:
T.J. said:

We bought a regular Tempurpedic about 8 years ago. It was ok for the first few years, but is downright miserable now. A latex mattress cover has made it bearable, somewhat, but it’s definitely past due for replacement. I have a real problem dropping another ~$1k on another mattress though knowing it’ll need replaced in about the same timeframe. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/16/18 8:18 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
Mndsm said:
T.J. said:

We bought a regular Tempurpedic about 8 years ago. It was ok for the first few years, but is downright miserable now. A latex mattress cover has made it bearable, somewhat, but it’s definitely past due for replacement. I have a real problem dropping another ~$1k on another mattress though knowing it’ll need replaced in about the same timeframe. 

$1k for something that you use more than literally anything else in the world. I can’t think of anything else you use as much. Think about it—2 people, using it for 8 hours a day, every day. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yTKevnFULs4DOQH5IJ2zliwFRx6BDqGmaqXn90HlGJmn1uUGqvwgbL6mBMa0iqor