1 2
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/8/14 10:40 p.m.

I am going to attempt putting up a fence to keep neighborhood busybodies at bay.

When setting the post (4"x4" post = 12" wide x 24" deep hole), should I concrete or not??

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
10/8/14 10:47 p.m.

I have admittedly no experience with such things but I say yes.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/8/14 11:00 p.m.

yes and if freezing is an issue, make sure you dig below the frost line

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
10/8/14 11:14 p.m.

If you run concrete between the posts (under the fence itself), it keeps the grass from growing up and rotting the fence.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/14 11:18 p.m.

I have been informed (and seen the end result) that the acidic concrete destroys the wood faster. Pack in some gravel instead.

jstand
jstand Reader
10/8/14 11:33 p.m.

If the fence is taller than 4 feet, definitely use concrete. Of course this is based on my experience, so your situation may be different.

I put in 200' of 4' picket, 100' of 6' stockade, and a 4'tall x 10' wide gate. The posts are 5"x5" PT.

Because of large boulders used for fill when the house was built in the 50s, a significant number of posts that couldn't go to the full depth. Add a high water table (I hit water at 6" deep on some holes), the choice was clear and I used concert on all the posts.

The results: 7 New England winters later the fence is still as straight as an arrow and the gate doesn't sag when closed or open.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/8/14 11:45 p.m.

6‘ privacy fence . . . I forgot to add that.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
10/8/14 11:45 p.m.

Soak the bottom of the fenceposts in drain oil for about a week before burying them.

Pour a little waste oil on the top of each post every time you do an oil change. A little around the bottom helps too.

Keeps your fenceposts from rotting.

I would never do a thing like this, it's just what I've heard.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/9/14 6:57 a.m.

Check your local building codes first, if the busy bodies are busy, the inspector will stop by. Mine has to be within 6" of property line, there is no good side - bad side rule.

Go with gravel like crush 'n run, concrete floats after a few years. Buy a decent fence post tamper also, well worth the investment!

Dan

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
10/9/14 6:58 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I have been informed (and seen the end result) that the acidic concrete destroys the wood faster. Pack in some gravel instead.

If you use pressure treated wood that's rated for contact with concrete or masonry (or direct burial) you should be all right. I suggest putting the posts on a little compacted gravel at the bottom of the hole, then pouring concrete around them once they are trued up. That way you're making a collar that is open at the bottom so water can drain out, rather than a closed concrete bottom that will hold the post in a tub of water.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/9/14 7:38 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

Strangely enough, the busy bodies don't care about stuff like that. They are an odd bunch due to them being fickle . . .

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/9/14 8:04 a.m.

I say concrete. Get an auger, dig the holes dip/soak the fence posts in your favorite preservative. Some gravel in the bottom, drop in the post then fill with unmixed concrete, it will adsorb moisture from the ground to set up. I've done work like that and helped friends to it no issue over a decade later. The fence posts are starting to rot from the top and be damaged by striming, but no rot at the base.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/9/14 8:38 a.m.

My fence posts are just set in the ground, and have been that way for 25 years with no issues. I say no concrete.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
10/9/14 9:23 a.m.

I've built a lot of fences over the years. uce concrete but as adrian says, no need to premix it. Just pout it in dry and spray the top when everything is plumb. Power auger is your friend depending on local soil conditions.

My favorite fence I ever built was a shadowbox style with the top in nice arches from one post to the next and the bottoms of all the pickets set in a 6" though of concrete (made weedeating it easier and impossible for dogs to escape from).

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/9/14 9:25 a.m.

Nothing says "berkeley off" like razor wire.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/14 10:05 a.m.

Can't you just pour the concrete in the hole and use one of those fencepost holders that will sit in the concrete. Then you just bolt your fencepost in place. This will keep wood off concrete.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/9/14 10:11 a.m.

Over the last 15 years, I've pulled a LOT of fence posts out of the ground to gain access to backyards and every single one of them has been set in concrete. None of them have been rotten at the bottom.

I'd use concrete.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/14 10:13 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I say concrete. Get an auger, dig the holes dip/soak the fence posts in your favorite preservative. Some gravel in the bottom, drop in the post then fill with unmixed concrete, it will adsorb moisture from the ground to set up. I've done work like that and helped friends to it no issue over a decade later. The fence posts are starting to rot from the top and be damaged by striming, but no rot at the base.

This. Ade helped me put a 6' privacy fence in my back yard about 6-7 years ago using this method, and it's holding up perfectly. In fact, I didn't even dip the posts in anything, just dropped them in the holes and filled with Quikcrete.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/9/14 11:29 a.m.

Cool!! Thanks for all the responses.

For Quikcrete . . . Just the normal plain jane stuff??

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/9/14 11:36 a.m.

Definitely use concrete, BTDT. The cheap stuff with aggregate in it will be fine. Figure 3/4 bag per hole. Dump it in dry, mix a little water with a piece of rebar etc. Make sure the posts are labeled 'GC' (Ground Contact). Rent an auger, 8" diameter will be fine for 4x4's, then make sure you call the utility location service before digging a single hole! They will come out and mark for free, the catch is if you DON'T call them and hit an underground phone line, CATV, power line etc then you can be on the hook for repairs!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
10/9/14 11:41 a.m.

^^This.

Also, take the time and use screws instead of nails.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/9/14 11:57 a.m.

Yeah, definitely use screws. From personal experience, spend a little more and get the square drive type. The Philips and Torx type wear out bits at approximately the same rate as the Germans fired shells in the Battle of the Bulge.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
10/9/14 11:58 a.m.

Contact your city planner, to verify what kind of fence you're allowed to build. F-I-L didn't, and had to tear down his 6' tall privacy fence, as city code only allows 4' privacy (what's the point?) or 6' chain link.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/9/14 12:02 p.m.

One more thing: be REAL sure where the property line is! A neighbor some years ago did not do this, he came home one day and found little pink flags all over the place. Turned out the neighbor between us was selling his house, when the deal was about to go down the surveyor came out to verify the placement of the property markers and it turned out he had encroached about 3' on one side. This meant he had to tear down and rebuild the fence. The worst part was it was on the side which had the drive through gate, he could no longer keep his boat in the back yard.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
10/9/14 12:04 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniDriver:

Had a neighbor a while back that asked for permission to install an 8ft privacy fence and was denied stating 6ft was the limit. He asked if he could build up 2 feet of soil around his property and build the fence on that and was lauded for his creativity and told to go right ahead.

That back yard was awesome when done. So quiet compared to the houses next door

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gRlB2TQVTCEgvJIsnUQsJzDkp0S7B5MSIlgTVoVvLMpifKz0UQRgIB7lI6EarK5x