1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 137
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/17 9:28 p.m.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a problem either. It looks really cool.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/9/17 6:46 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Tune it to open G or something and play slide.

Congrats on the new guitar!

Burrito
Burrito Dork
4/9/17 4:06 p.m.

I'm just about a month shy of the turning the big Three-Oh. So, happy birthday to myself.

I think it will fit in juuuuust fine around here.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
4/17/17 7:38 p.m.

Today was a nice day,so I took the Jackson family outside for family photos!

Another reason why: one of them is new (to me) as of this afternoon.

It's a JS22, which is their entry level guitar. I wasn't looking for a guitar today, but it popped up on Facebook up the street from my house today for $75 and I couldn't help myself. It's nearly new, but it has an intermittent issue with the volume pot, so I will be looking into that. Still, it plays and sounds pretty good for an entry level axe. I might convert this one to a hard tail.

Keith Tanner
4/17/17 9:02 p.m.

I think you need five Jacksons.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
4/18/17 9:06 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I think you need five Jacksons.

I was lucky enough not to be murdered in my sleep for bringing another guitar home. I'm not pushing my luck.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/30/17 1:07 a.m.

Just finished the test assembly of this one. Still have to finish and wire it.

(I started a thread here)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/17 9:16 a.m.

In my never ending search for something I don't really need I found a Dean PED FD Exhibition Electric/Acoustic Guitar. I don't know these but to me it looks like a decent unit and I like the color/look. And it has a killer name. It is at a local pawn shop. They are asking $250.

Link. Here

I am thinking of going over and taking a look. What do you all think?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/17 10:16 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

As long as the frets are good & level, and the neck is straight, that seems like a fair price for it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/17 10:26 a.m.

My homework tells me these can be fantastic or horrible. You really have to try them. The other consistent point people commented on is they have narrow necks and that is something I really like. Less reaching with your fingers and less wrist flex when playing.

Think I am going to have to take a little road trip next week.

Oh forgot to say that universally people say early ones are much better and made in USA ones are also better. Not that the later ones can not be great just that they tend to be more hit or miss.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/29/17 8:49 a.m.

My bass playing nephew (aka not-so-mini-me) called me last weekend to get my seal of approval on a bass purchase. He was at Guitar Center and found one of these on the cheap:

It's a 1992 Epiphone Accu-Bass, or their version of a Fender Precision Bass. They were made in the Samick factory in Korea, like most of the Epis of that era. I've always been interested in these, and I think the Epi brand with a Explorer-style headstock on a P-Bass is funky enough to be cool. It was in mint condition cosmetically, and played nice, so he bought it as a backup bass. Mint, so we thought.

When he got it home, it started having problems. First, the input wiring fell apart, so he soldered it back together. Then, the tone pot fell apart completely. So, he picked up a couple of new pots and I went to his place to solder it all back together last night. That was a disaster. I followed a P-Bass wiring diagram, and while I could get volume out of it and tone, it has a terrible hum that nothing can solve. At first we thought it was the bridge ground causing the issue, but that didn't help. Then, it stopped making sound out of the pickups and just hummed. At that point, I called it a night

His birthday is coming up, so I was thinking of getting some new pickups and a wiring harness, and the easy button seems to be a GFS set with their new Kwikplug system. I'm looking at these:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--GFS-PB-Pro-PLUS-OVERWOUND-Alnico-P-Bass-style-VERY-hot--Kwikplug-Ready_p_21980.html

He plays lots of hevy stuff, so I figure the high output on these would be perfect. Anyone use these before?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/30/17 7:48 a.m.

After reading some reviews, I ordered those pickups and a new harness with pots and input. It has to sound better than HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, which is what it sounds like now.

Also, I had no idea that GFS was in MA. They are about an hour from my house. That's dangerous!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/30/17 9:04 a.m.

So, I already have this:

Do I also need this?

Keith Tanner
6/30/17 9:56 a.m.

Only if you put a black pickguard on the cream one.

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 10:02 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Only if you put a black pickguard on the cream one.

That would be funny, but supposedly the white ones came with white pickguards. As far as we can tell, both are totally stock and complete, down to the knobs. We A-B'ed them last night. Interesting how each feels a little different even though they're both Phase 4 Hi-Fliers. I'd never get rid of my white one, but I am a sucker for a black guitar with a white pickguard. (The black one is also a little cleaner than mine.)

The downside to the black one? Prices on these have gone up since I bought mine.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/30/17 2:42 p.m.

The Univox secret is out. You got in while the gettin' was good! Also, yes, buy the black one.

A friend of mine has a black "lawsuit era"-style Univox LP copy, and it's pretty cool. I think he got it at a yard sale for like $20. It has a Strat-style bridge on it somehow.

Keith Tanner
6/30/17 3:10 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
That would be funny, but supposedly the white ones came with white pickguards. As far as we can tell, both are totally stock and complete, down to the knobs. We A-B'ed them last night. Interesting how each feels a little different even though they're both Phase 4 Hi-Fliers. I'd never get rid of my white one, but I am a sucker for a black guitar with a white pickguard. (The black one is also a little cleaner than mine.) The downside to the black one? Prices on these have gone up since I bought mine.

Ah, you originality purists take all the fun out of life

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 3:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote:
That would be funny, but supposedly the white ones came with white pickguards. As far as we can tell, both are totally stock and complete, down to the knobs. We A-B'ed them last night. Interesting how each feels a little different even though they're both Phase 4 Hi-Fliers. I'd never get rid of my white one, but I am a sucker for a black guitar with a white pickguard. (The black one is also a little cleaner than mine.) The downside to the black one? Prices on these have gone up since I bought mine.
Ah, you originality purists take all the fun out of life

Know how I got a deal on one of my P-basses? It had been modified.

Even though it was just a pickup and some hardware, it was a third less than the bone-stock one hanging beside it. I do enjoy its Seymour Duncan pickup, though.

Keith Tanner
6/30/17 4:50 p.m.

See! The originality purists are sidestepping improved stuff to pay three times as much for one with magic factory juju!

I'll admit I still have the stock pickups for my Gibson set aside, though...

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/1/17 9:20 a.m.

Okay, I'm super-excited about this, and I get to try linking from Amazon hosting... Oops, nope, I'm not the primary user of our Prime account. Okay, I'll host it myself. Need to figure out some sort of auto-backup from my phone. The download-to-upload thing is silly.

Anyhow...

After many years of hemming, hawing, not having the money, and being confused about whether to go Jazzmaster or Jaguar, I ordered this:

It's a Classic Player Jaguar Special. I don't know why they call it a Special... It's about the closest thing to a "normal" Jaguar you can buy these days, I think. When I spent a long lunch A/Bing the Jazzmaster and Jaguar, I liked the feel of the Jazzmaster maybe slightly better, but I liked the variety of sound from the Jaguar even more (I was surprised that all those switches actually do things, and not just "put them all in a 'normal' position and tape over them"), really wanted something with that single-coil clarity and definition, and then there's the extra chrome...

It plays really nicely. I'm getting used to the shorter scale, and I quite like the neck shape.

The price even dropped 25 bucks when they switched from Rosewood to Pau Ferro for the fretboard, and I think it looks great!

They're not uncommon, but I just couldn't find one on ebay or CL for enough less than new to offset shipping and the uncertainty of getting a used guitar unseen... The only CL ones I found were a three hour drive away.

Oh, yeah. What do all those switches do?

There are many guitars I'd like to own, but this is one of the three I figure I need and will keep my whole life (the other two being an SG, and a Gretsch Double Anniversary in Smoke Green)

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
7/1/17 9:29 a.m.

^Nice Jag. Is the classic player MIM?

Ransom
7/1/17 9:39 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

Yes, it is.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
7/1/17 1:05 p.m.
Ransom wrote: In reply to crankwalk: Yes, it is.

Shorter scales are pretty fun to play. If you aren't used to them, I feel like the tendency to put heavier strings on them to make up for the the reduced string tension is what I find gets people to drop them and go back to Strats or Teles. You have to like them for what they are and not try to make them do what they aren't good at.

I think you made a good choice with the Jag over the Jazzmaster. My Jazzmaster weighed a ton and I dont think their shape isnt comfortable for playing sitting down either.

David S. Wallens
7/1/17 2:15 p.m.

Very cool. Congrats. I'm a big fan of short-scale basses (although, oddly, I'm playing a P-bass right now). And is that one of those Fender "vintage" herringbone straps? Love them.

Ransom
7/1/17 3:06 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

I'd kinda wondered about that, but planned to spend some time with it. For a while, I was experimenting with 11s and 12s on my Gretsch Pro Jet, to fight a tendency to feel "tangled up" in lighter strings when picking, but I've gone back to lighter strings and finding more advantages than disadvantages.

Given my skill as a guitarist, talking about those details, I feel a bit like someone five seconds adrift of a decent time at an autocross, sitting in a Ferrari and wondering whether I should add a couple psi to the fronts...

1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 137

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aZH3spNn4xmNkDWc2KObjn3wpnufj5oLXpGiHHdrIVW5zAifqXFjOJR2Kt8GegaR