1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 137
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/19 5:34 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I put on a cheap set of Ernie Ball light-gauge roundwounds yesterday. It not only sounds much better, but also has a decent volume output now. Being a rosewood fingerboard there’s a slight bit of visible wear from the PO, but not bad. I’m considering a coat of polyurethane to help protect it, once I sort out the bow - it’s bad enough the lowest-2 notes on the neck are unusable.

But I just had an idea: as I mentioned before I was thinking about capoing the neck, since I prefer shorter scales anyway. However, I just realized the truss rod is recessed quite a bit into the end of the neck. I’m going to measure it today - I may be able to just saw off a couple inches from the neck & reinstall the head plate and nut. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/9/19 6:43 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

ThAt is helpful! 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/9/19 6:48 a.m.

This is what was recommended. Thoughts on prices?

The two guitars you guys borrowed were the 1/2 size Yamaha (Model CGS102A) and the 3/4 size Yamaha (Model CGS103A). The 1/2 size runs $119.99 while the 3/4 runs $129.99. 

We also carry similar models from a brand called Córdoba that run $139.99 each (Model Protege C1 1/2 & 3/4). 

Lastly, we carry a 3/4 size guitar from Fender (Model FA-15N) which runs $149.99 but comes with a carrying cover/bag to transport the instrument as well.

The only thing about the Yamaha & Cordobas is that they do not come with carrying bags... Some small instruments come packaged with them, some don’t. The Fender is the only small instrument that comes with a bag at the moment. We also sell 3/4 size gig bags separately for $24.99.

Any of these guitars would be a fine option for the boys, they’re all pretty comparable honestly. If anything, I’d say the Cordobas are a hair better than the others. However, the Fender has a bag which is nice and then the Yamahas are the most affordable. Truthfully you can’t go wrong!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/17/19 9:45 p.m.

Yeah, it happened again. This one wasn't even on the sales floor. The owner of our local shop had it hanging in the lesson room.

"What's that?"

"Kind of a mishmash of parts--came in with your black Univox."

"ORLY?"

The neck is an Aims. Feels like it's from a P-Bass. Vintage might be '70s.

The body is Fender Jazz Bass--not sure if it's American or Mexican. 

He believes the wiring and pots and maybe even the pickups are American Fender.

It has an old threaded-style bridge that looks like it's been around the block a few times. 

It has flatwounds and is set up really nicely. 

Price was cheap, especially after I traded in a pedal on it. 

Pete Gossett
1/18/19 6:00 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Score! Beautiful color too, and I’m not usually a fan of reds. 

David S. Wallens
1/18/19 8:09 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Score! Beautiful color too, and I’m not usually a fan of reds. 

Thank you and, yeah, same here. But I saw it and was like, What do we have here? I played it last night. Very fun. 

Price on the tag was $250. Subtract a few for the pedal trade-in and I'm into it for a little more than $200. So, yeah, deals are out there. 

Pete Gossett
1/18/19 8:44 a.m.

Wow, that’s ridiculously cheap! You should share that on the Awesome Cheap Guitars FB page, they’ll be drooling over it. 

David S. Wallens
1/18/19 8:47 a.m.

Yeah, true. I'd say my sweet spot is $200-$500. I have paid more, but you can find so many great deals at that price. Our local shop always has cool stuff for a fair price. Plus, and here's the big thing, they're all set up and ready to play. We were discussing that last night. How can a guitar shop sell an instrument that has fret buzz or some problem? Yeah, this was a cheap sell, but he still set it up. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/19 9:10 a.m.

I always liked "Hot Rod" Guitars.  Especially those that have been around the block a couple times.  Don't know why just a weird thing I guess.  that looks rally nice!!!

Found my new guitar in my daughters room this morning. Looks like she has graduated to my new Segal.  Proud Dad!!!

David S. Wallens
1/23/19 11:47 p.m.

I can see both sides to hot rodded or not. Most of mine are stock, and I'm fine with that--and I'm not looking to make any mods. With this one, it was just so cool and such a deal (and felt/played so nicely) that I had to do. There's a story behind the guitar. I don't know that story, but there is one. 

And congrats on the new guitar. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/19 11:56 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Wow, that’s ridiculously cheap! You should share that on the Awesome Cheap Guitars FB page, they’ll be drooling over it. 

Its a great page and i agree

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
1/24/19 12:53 a.m.
crankwalk said:

Added to my jangly grungy offset body short scale Fender collection.

CIJ Jaguar HH:

Those are cool, one of my favorite musicians plays the baritone version of that model. Emma Ruth Rundle

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
1/26/19 3:59 p.m.
Tk8398 said:
crankwalk said:

Added to my jangly grungy offset body short scale Fender collection.

CIJ Jaguar HH:

Those are cool, one of my favorite musicians plays the baritone version of that model. Emma Ruth Rundle

They have an interesting sound. Good recommendation

jh36
jh36 Reader
2/3/19 9:00 a.m.

If anyone from this group is planning on UTCC/Hyperfest in May, let me know.  PRS is planning to do a little better than my bus and some guitars to check out for 2019.  We are looking at more of a "test drive" vibe and PRS staff on site....more to come as the plan develops! 

David S. Wallens
2/3/19 1:59 p.m.

Yay, PRS.

Yesterday we visited the Orlando guitar show--didn't buy anything but we saw some cool guitars and ran into some friends.

David S. Wallens
2/3/19 2:00 p.m.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
2/3/19 5:58 p.m.
Ian F said:

I believe I've mentioned in past posts about the one guitar I really wish I hadn't sold: a 1980 Les Paul Custom. I tried to replace it with a '71 Standard, but I just didn't like the fatter neck.

During the New Year's Eve party, I was talking about this with my old bass player. The next day, a guitar pops up on a Facebook trading group for guitars. 1979 Les Paul Custom, wine red, Kahler bridge. $2500 OBO. Considering most Customs from this era seem to be selling for over $3000, it seemed worth a look. A few messages later and a cash withdrawal from the bank and I was on my way.

The seller is a woman about my age who has owned the guitar for 34 years. Bought it used from a guitarist in a local band, and then never really learned to play it. So it usually lived in the case, occasionally getting played during parties by others.

I pull it out, tune it and the neck is like going back in time. Thin. Fast. Low action. In other words - nothing like Les Paul models you'll find in stores today. Some good "player" wear, but nothing terrible. The Kahler is broken, but I have another one I can install. We settle on $2100.

Two of the fine tuners are broken off in the cam. Not sure what the mini switch does.

I'm happy. Now to get the '71 Standard sold...

Dude, this thing is 10 flavors of delicious. Is the Kahler factory?

No clue if this is a good deal, but it popped up on my “kahler” search.

Pete Gossett
2/3/19 6:40 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

That’s awesome!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/4/19 9:10 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Yeah, it happened again. This one wasn't even on the sales floor. The owner of our local shop had it hanging in the lesson room.

"What's that?"

"Kind of a mishmash of parts--came in with your black Univox."

"ORLY?"

The neck is an Aims. Feels like it's from a P-Bass. Vintage might be '70s.

The body is Fender Jazz Bass--not sure if it's American or Mexican. 

He believes the wiring and pots and maybe even the pickups are American Fender.

It has an old threaded-style bridge that looks like it's been around the block a few times. 

It has flatwounds and is set up really nicely. 

Price was cheap, especially after I traded in a pedal on it. 

That thing, for lack of a better term, is TASTY! I love stuff like this. I can tell just by looking at it that it plays awesome. Nice score.

And I didn't know that Awesome Cheap Guitars group existed. I signed up for that; it's right in my wheelhouse.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/4/19 9:42 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

There are two groups, "Awesome Cheap Guitars" (less than 600 members) and "Cheap Awesome Guitars" (about 6,600 members).  

The former appears to be new - formed in July of 2018, although there used to be another group of the same name that disappeared for some reason.  I think the ACG group owner/starter had some personal issues and closed it.  IIRC, he was a guy who liked to build kit guitars.  I actually bought one of them, and while the finish is pretty good, it doesn't quite play or sound as good as I'd hoped.  Regardless, I hope he's OK.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/19 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

The group I am part of is Awesome Cheap Guitars with 64k members. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/4/19 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

The one I sent the request in to join is the 64k member one. There's also a "Cheap Awesome Guitars" group too.

David S. Wallens
2/4/19 3:53 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to Ian F :

The one I sent the request in to join is the 64k member one. There's also a "Cheap Awesome Guitars" group too.

That's the one that I'm in, too. Here's the link.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/18/19 11:51 a.m.

After getting the G.A.S. itch real bad recently, and my wife effectively blocking that itch with the threat of tossing all my guitars on the front lawn, I decided that I should probably fix one of the ones I already have so it plays better. I started tearing into my very first guitar this morning: a 1997ish Japanese-built Jackson Performer PS4.

I've had this since around 1999. I bought it from a friend who didn't like the Floyd Rose on it for $75. It had some dings and dents, and some other annoying issues, but the neck rules and it sounds awesome. The two biggest issues it's had are that the tuners were "bent" and that one of the humbuckers was loose in the cavity for some reason.

Like I do with all my guitars, I applied copper shielding tape to the cavity and the back of the electronics cover. It typically works great at cutting down unwanted noise.

Remember when I said it had "bent tuners"? Well, they are less bent and more broken into bits. sad Most of them are like this, and I have idea why. I ordered up some locking tuners on Amazon, so I'll have to continue this later this week once those show up. At least now this thing will NEVER go out of tune between locking tuners, a locking nut, and a double locking tremolo!

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/19 9:40 p.m.

Today was a good day at my favorite pawn shop. Guitar is an ibanez only made for one year.

Bass is a badass Japanese bass on indeterminate make, probably Encore. I love old japanese basses, where else can you get a short scale jazz bass with a maple fretboard? Not to even mention the price I paid. Plays stupendous too

1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 137

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sxcRCNAKjAuutBE4hiixQ1GWmKlXSm9l9wVkN0WIYGXKzP9jjeIbUJAJKaETEkyn