1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 136
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/19 12:18 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

New bass amp: Univox 1235 aka E-3 plus cabinet. Tubes. Not sure the exact vintage, but pretty sure the last year for this logo was 1967. I traded my GK and a pedal for it. The amp had just been serviced. I admit, I have a thing for Univoxes. 

Univox makes some cool stuff, ive got a u65? hanging around here. We use it as a low volume keyboard or guitar amp

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/19 6:28 p.m.

Here’s the harmonizer I got yesterday. 

I barely squeezed it onto my board. 

And here’s a quick demo after I got it hooked up. 

Anyone need a cheap Peavey bass project? I’ll never need it since it’s right-handed.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/3/19 6:39 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Too bad you are on the other end of the country, otherwise I'd be all over that Peavey! I'm a sucker for Peavey basses. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/3/19 6:55 p.m.

To cap off a frustrating weekend, I missed one of these at a flea market today:

This is a mid 80's Aria Pro II RS Knight Warrior. These were really nice Japanese made 80's shredder guitars equipped with a Kahler tremolo and are fantastic players. Artists like Vivian Campbell (Dio, Def Leppard) and Yngwie Malmsteen were endorsed by these guys. Even Cliff Burton played their basses! 

Some guy had one at a flea market I went to with the wife sitting on his table. It had no strings, but looked to be all there, but the wife gave me "the look", so I walked by and said if I didn't get anything inside, I'd go and check it out. When I didn't find anything inside, I went back out and the guy was gone. Probably could have had the thing for around $50. sad

For the record, this is the 2nd time I missed one of these. First time was a couple years ago when I traded in some gear at the local music store and they had a sweet white one with a black pickguard. The sales guy smacked it off a table a few times by accident and must have tweaked something in the neck, because it played like garbage after that. I left it at the store. 

Maybe it's the gear gods telling me to fix my amp situation before more stringed things join the fleet. smiley

Antihero
3/12/19 12:07 p.m.

Today I'm cleaning up the 2 guitars I use for standard tuning, both are somewhat odd, most have never seen them

The Xaviere is chambered and weighs just over 5 pounds. Somehow this makes it a badass chuggy metal machine.

The Axl has EMG passive p90s that are the some of the best p90s I've played. Body shape is suprisingly comfortable to play sitting with the notch in it.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/12/19 2:03 p.m.

Maybe a stupid question, but how do you all balance out volume when switching between effects pedals and combining multiple pedal sounds?

I should link a pic later, but I have a BOSS Acoustic Simulator, a BOSS Distortion/Overdrive, and then a multi effects box. .

The acoustic simulator is always used alone, and is quiet. 

The DS/OD is fine by itself, but if I combine with certain effects on the multi-pedal it's too loud for the mix. 

Basically I want to be able to use pedals individually or in combination, and still be at the same sound level. How do you guys do that? Lots of level tweaking on the pedal settings? Just adjust the volume knob on the guitar as needed? Volume pedal?

Antihero
3/12/19 2:44 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:

Maybe a stupid question, but how do you all balance out volume when switching between effects pedals and combining multiple pedal sounds?

I should link a pic later, but I have a BOSS Acoustic Simulator, a BOSS Distortion/Overdrive, and then a multi effects box. .

The acoustic simulator is always used alone, and is quiet. 

The DS/OD is fine by itself, but if I combine with certain effects on the multi-pedal it's too loud for the mix. 

Basically I want to be able to use pedals individually or in combination, and still be at the same sound level. How do you guys do that? Lots of level tweaking on the pedal settings? Just adjust the volume knob on the guitar as needed? Volume pedal?

Does the mutifx have distortion onboard? Id probably run both in the same pedal to keep volumes decent and use the distortion as a volume boost when needed.

Im not a fan of multifx though i guess my Verbzilla counts as one sort of. I run a lot of dirt right now for various situations and some of them are lead boosts. If i have to i run the guitar volume lower of i run into some combo that adds lots of volume

AWSX1686
3/12/19 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Makes sense. The multi probably does, I'll have to mess with that.

Antihero
3/12/19 3:33 p.m.

Snapped a pic of one of the very old and apparently very very very rare Peavey amps I own too. 

Pete Gossett
3/12/19 6:53 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Are those rare? I’ve seen quite a few of them over the years, they’re really good amps. Are you in the Peavy Cvlt on Facebook? A lot of their engineers & staff are there & some of their discussions are fascinating!

Antihero
3/12/19 7:16 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Antihero :

Are those rare? I’ve seen quite a few of them over the years, they’re really good amps. Are you in the Peavy Cvlt on Facebook? A lot of their engineers & staff are there & some of their discussions are fascinating!

Apparently, since anytime i mention it or show it people start throwing money at me to sell it. If you are near Meridian though im sure they are less scarce. I had to have it repaired and asked for a wiring diagram, apparently it was a track-down-Hartley-and-see-if-hes-got-it moment, the diagram was hand drawn too.

I am a part of that group, lots of fun there

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/15/19 9:21 p.m.

Picked up a Ibanez AS73 tonight.  Traded in a 5 string bass I hadn't played in forever.  Its my first semi hollow body and Im really digging it.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
3/16/19 12:33 a.m.

In reply to logdog :

Those artcore semi’s really scream with the right pickups. Had one years ago with some burstbuckers I used for gigging. On the list of guitars I should never have sold. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/16/19 9:50 p.m.

Playing guitar without my Blackstar is making me sad. My Peavey Studio Pro 112 sounds good and all, but I'm missing the effects and tones I got out of that little Blackstar amp. I tried busting out my old Line 6 Pocket Pod to see if that helps, but it really didn't. The tones sound really weak and feel like there's almost a delay between hitting the string and what comes out of the amp. Great for a headphone amp, but not so great as a multi-effects unit. 

That said, I'm considering my options.  As much as I'd love to build a big pedal board of doom, I'm thinking that a decent multi-effects pedal/processor would work better for the space I have. The local guitar store has a bunch of Line 6 Pod things, like this Pod X3 :

I'm also afraid that it's going to suck like my Pocket Pod. Then again, the Pocket Pod is about 15 years old, and the newer stuff has to be better, right? I have a Bass Pod 2.0 which is older but still sounds good, so who knows. 

They also have one of these: 

It has an impressive amount of stompboxes onboard, but some Amazon reviews complain about the build quality. 

Another option is this thing: 

It's a Zoom G1on. When I first started playing years ago, Zoom made some really cheap, nasty multi-effects pedals. This seems to be the modern day version of that, but it has surprisingly good reviews. Sounds decent, but I don't particularly like the lack of physical knobs. Best part: it's $59.99 on Amazon. 

The frontrunner right now seems to be the Digitech RP360. 

Like all the others, it has all sorts of preset tones and all that, but I like how the GUI is set up better than most of the others. The build quality seems really solid, and there are tons of downloadable patches, including a freaking Whitesnake one. I spend A LOT of time cooking up stupid hair metal riffs (I have no idea how but this just comes natural to me) and that appeals to me. It also seems to sound better than the others based on demo videos I've watched. The guitar store has one in stock, so I may have to check it out in person. 

Pete Gossett
3/17/19 5:32 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I have the M5 on my pedalboard. It doesn’t have any fuzz or distortion, but it does have some killer reverbs & delays that can all be tweaked. FWIW I find the display too small to see standing up, so live I leave it on one patch, in its own channel on my looper, so I can patch it in/out as needed. It does have midi though, which would be nice if I had anything that had midi control. 

However, I like the tone from it enough that I’m really interested in one of the Line 6 Helix units. They’re not cheap though. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/17/19 7:11 a.m.

I’ve got a TC Nova System for sale!

Antihero
3/17/19 11:19 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

Didnt end up bonding with it?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/17/19 1:23 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

I ended snagging that RP360 this morning. Thanks for the offer though! I messed with it a little at the store, and it's really cool and should do what I need it to do. I will post up a more in-depth review later once I get it dialed in. 

AWSX1686
3/18/19 7:57 a.m.

I think this is the one I have. I do like it pretty well, aside form figuring out how to properly modulate volume when combining effects like I posted earlier.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/18/19 9:34 a.m.

I had a few minutes to mess with the RP360 last night, and I have to say that I'm impressed. First off, the build quality is nice. The housing is heavy steel, and the buttons/switches feel good.

It has A TON of features, like drum accompaniment for practicing, a looper, and a full tuner. A lot of pedals have this stuff, I know, but it's all new to me. It has 100 preset tones and 100 spots for user tones. Unlike a lot of stuff I've used, this gets its tones from a "virtual pedal board" with effects chained together and put through a virtual amp and cabinet. And the coolest part? You can go into any preset and mess with everything! You can go into each pedal in the chain and change the pedal and manipulate all of the settings. Each pedal in the chain, like distortion, delay, wah, etc has a bunch of different emulated pedals to choose from. For example, for distortion/overdrive pedals, you have all the classics: Tube Screamer, Boss "orange" Distortion, old MXR pedals, The Rat, Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi, and a ton more. I was able to dial in some pretty good tone after messing around with some of the presets. 

Another really cool things is how it interfaces with a PC. Digitech has proprietary software that interfaces with the pedal, and it acts as a visual GUI for the "virtual pedalboard". If you have a laptop hooked up to it, you can change settings and click and drag things around on the board in the app instead of on the pedal itself. It's the guitar equivalent of running MAME or another video game emulator frontend on a PC!

You can also download user-created tones and set them as the user presets, and as you can imagine, there are tons of user-created artist and song-specific tones that vary from dead-on accurate to laughably bad. For example, I downloaded some David Gilmour-esque tones and with my Strat they sounded goddamn angelic and made me want to cry they were so good. Then I tried a Maiden-inspired tone setting for The Trooper that made me long for deafness. YMMV big time here. Another cool thing is you can record direct to a PC with that USB connection, which is a nice feature.

All in all, I'm happy with it, and I got a good deal on it lightly used. It sounds worlds better than the Pocket Pod I have, and even better than my Blackstar modeling amp. I dig it.

5/5 Miatas.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/18/19 4:06 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:

I think this is the one I have. I do like it pretty well, aside form figuring out how to properly modulate volume when combining effects like I posted earlier.

I had the same deal without the expression/wah deal. Super easy to use.

Pete Gossett
3/19/19 2:16 p.m.

Obviously not my gear, but you guys might appreciate Gabriel Marin’s rig rundown(from Consider the Source). Dare I say he’s pushing the art & craft of guitar playing to a new level. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/19/19 3:58 p.m.

The RP360XP combined with a Quilter MicroBlock 45 would make for a super compact rig that would probably cover a lot of sound needs.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/20/19 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

I never even knew that was a thing. Pretty cool! If you are just using it for headphones, the RP360 and the XP have a standard headphone jack on the back as well, so you can even skip the pedal.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/20/19 8:34 a.m.

I have a Quilter 101 minihead.  It's no vintage tube amp, but for the size, weight and price it's not bad. 

1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ruthljmk282Qti32LV7T7Sw4iCTqajP53dbJRSUT8s4Zbcw18qELs213cOTYbYOL