1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 136
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/19 1:01 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Antihero :

Totally get it. Like you said, doesn’t seem like it’d be that weird of a combo, but I’ll be damned if I can find one!

Weird huh? You would have thought someone somewhere would want that but no, apparently im either weird, a rebel without a single hb guitar or crazy. 

More likely a combination of them all

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/16/19 6:07 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I get it. Nothing says “no bullE36 M3” like one pickup and a volume knob.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
4/16/19 8:26 a.m.

Anyone need some Fender Jazzmaster necks?  One is a nearly new Squier J Mascis take off with a Fender decal.  The other is an actually new Fender replacement that was cosmetically damaged at the bushing of the G string tuner.  I would trade for a workingish Fender/Squier Telecaster guitar that will be used for a pinecaster project.  I think they'll fit on a Strat etc.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/16/19 10:38 a.m.
Antihero said:
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Antihero :

Totally get it. Like you said, doesn’t seem like it’d be that weird of a combo, but I’ll be damned if I can find one!

Weird huh? You would have thought someone somewhere would want that but no, apparently im either weird, a rebel without a single hb guitar or crazy. 

Another option is a Kiesel CS6 California Single Cut.  The online "builder" doesn't let you choose a neck-pickup-delete option, but I am 99% sure they'll build one if you call and ask when ordering.  For example, it only shows a Hipshot (Fender style) trem option but I have seen pictures of these with Floyds.  About $2000 for a custom, hand-made in the USA guitar isn't bad.

It still amuses me that I knew about Jeff Kiesel through seeing him and the green Sprite in Sportscar articles before I knew he owned Carvin guitars (prior to the name change to Kiesel Guitars).  I think the only guitar that still gets a Carvin label is the Jason Becker model.

Antihero
4/16/19 6:29 p.m.
Ian F said:
Antihero said:
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Antihero :

Another option is a Kiesel CS6 California Single Cut.  The online "builder" doesn't let you choose a neck-pickup-delete option, but I am 99% sure they'll build one if you call and ask when ordering.  For example, it only shows a Hipshot (Fender style) trem option but I have seen pictures of these with Floyds.  About $2000 for a custom, hand-made in the USA guitar isn't bad.

It still amuses me that I knew about Jeff Kiesel through seeing him and the green Sprite in Sportscar articles before I knew he owned Carvin guitars (prior to the name change to Kiesel Guitars).  I think the only guitar that still gets a Carvin label is the Jason Becker model.

Ill give it a shot, thanks

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/16/19 10:32 a.m.

Lately, I've decided to start playing my drums regularly again. Way before I picked up anything with strings, I was a drummer; I've been playing for 27 years now! Since my old band broke up way back in 2006, I've been more focused on playing stringed things, and my drums have been more or less neglected. Also, since my band broke up, I've gained a significant amount of weight; I was in the best shape of my life while in the band and once that went away, the pounds packed on easily. So, what's that have to do with drumming?

I'm looking at playing drums AS EXERCISE.

Seriously, check this article out: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-health-use-drums-for-workout-story.html

My wife recently started swimming to exercise (she loves it, and used to be on the swim team in school), so I might as well do something I like too, right? laugh

After playing for a week every day after work, I realized that my 24 year old Yamaha Stage Custom kit needed some maintenance. Other than the snare, I haven't changed the batter heads on the toms since 2006. That's 13 years ago! They felt and sounded awful, so I ordered up some fresh Remo heads. Over the years, I've gone back and forth between Remo and Aquarian heads, and although I like Aquarian heads a lot, they are harder to find in the sizes I need. When I bought my kit back in 1995, I got some weird tom sizes: 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15 (not 16). The 15" suspended tom is always the hard one to get heads for, as it's an uncommon size. But I HAD to have two suspended floor toms back then. 

After committing to Remo, I did some research on what to buy. My default Remo tom heads have always been Pinstripes, but this time I switched it up and went with some Emperor Clear 2-ply heads after watching some videos. I got them in the mail yesterday and put them on, along with a set of head mutes from Amazon.

Yeah, much better! I spent the time tuning them properly, and they finally have the right mix of tone and "thud" that I've been searching for. I should have used these years ago! They seriously sound great now, and play even better.

Next up: saving up for some replacement cymbals, and fixing the right side DW 5000 bass pedal. I have three cracked cymbals on the kit, the worst being my poor 18" Sabian AAX Chinese. And if you look closely, I have my old backup DW 7000 right side pedal because the 5000's heel pad's screws stripped out.

Feels good to be playing again!

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
5/22/19 10:32 p.m.

So 30 years later I think it's time to pick up a bass & play the blues.  I had a wonderful 66 p bass back in the day (emg active eq pickups in jazz bass config).  Sold it to go racing,  probably can't afford it now anyway.

What's a good (cheap) "learning my chops after 30 years" bass?  All the new stuff is offshore & sucks?  Will it matter?  Do not need a 5, 6, million string bass, just something I can walk under some delta blues.  I'd probably see if I still have a rockman somewhere & practice. 

Thanks!

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
5/22/19 11:09 p.m.

In reply to Kendall_Jones :

The current Squier stuff is actually pretty good and very reasonably priced. I had a “vintage modified” jazz bass that was very acceptable, especially considering the $299 price tag. 

poopshovel again
5/23/19 6:28 a.m.

In reply to Kendall_Jones :

Those unloved-until-recently Ibanez Talmans are really nice. I’d snap one up if I didn’t already have a bass that I hardly play.

I am not a fan of the newer Squire stuff. After reading all the rave reviews, I walked into GC or Ken Stanton fully expecting to buy a vintage modern(?) Tele. They all played like something that sat in a wet basement for 10 years.

YMMV

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/23/19 7:08 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

I've had a similar experience with Squire and Epiphone guitars. To date, I've played one Epiphone Les Paul that I actually considered buying - a used silverburst custom, except the price (at a local GC) was higher than I thought it was worth and I already have more Les Pauls than I really need.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/23/19 11:10 a.m.

Recent Squier and Epiphone guitars seem to be extremely hit or miss. In my arsenal, I have 2 Squiers (Squier SE Strat and VM '77 Jazz Bass) and two Epiphones (Korean-made Les Paul Standard and Goth Thunderbird). The ones I have play well, and I've been especially impressed with the VM '77 Jazz Bass and the Les Paul. I'd put those both up against much more expensive instruments in terms of sound, quality, and playability any day, and both are bone stock!

That said, I've played a number of Squiers and Epis that I've been less than thrilled with. The real cheap Squiers (Bullet and Affinity series) are especially hit or miss, and I'd look at those mostly as mod fodder. Same goes for the Epiphones; I've owned a LP Special II that I did like, but I always planned on modding it before I let it go as it sounded dead. My nephew has a bolt-on LP100, and it feels kinda cheap, but would be good to toss some decent hardware and pickups in.

In this price range, you may have to play 4 or 5 of the same model to find one that's put together the right way. Then again, I've played much more expensive stuff that costs in the thousands that played, felt, and sounded like hot garbage, so YMMV.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
5/23/19 2:08 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In this price range, you may have to play 4 or 5 of the same model to find one that's put together the right way. Then again, I've played much more expensive stuff that costs in the thousands that played, felt, and sounded like hot garbage, so YMMV.

QFT

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/23/19 8:21 p.m.

I also believe that if you've been playing long enough and have gone through enough guitars, trying to predict what will "speak" to you is damn near impossible. As mentioned, I already have a quiver of Les Pauls, so one would have to really be special for me to want it, regardless of the price.  I have collected a number of Fender Strats in an apparently vain attempt to find one that feels like the one I've had since the early 90's.  Then I'll pick up something odd on whim and nearly buy it (or actually buy it). Like a Jackson Rhoads V with a tune-o-matic bridge I noticed at Guitar Center tonight. It caught my eye because it's entirely unfinished. Mahogany body, bolt-on maple neck. Completely bare. I've never played anything quite like it and it was pretty neat. Not quite neat enough to buy (even at $299), but it does reinforce the need for me to unload a bunch of guitars to make room for something different.

poopshovel again
5/24/19 7:05 p.m.

I am trying to convince myself I don’t need this, and failing. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/19 5:17 a.m.

Do you have matching spandex pants and more cans of Aqua Net than your wife? If so you 100% need this!!!

If not, you still need this - it’s a berkeleying cool Shreddy McShredder axe. 

poopshovel again
5/25/19 5:36 a.m.

I’m desperately trying to be rational. If it wasn’t being sold by a pawn shop, I’d be way less rational.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/25/19 6:06 a.m.

I'd try to get the price down a bit. I bought a nearly identical Charvel about 6 years ago for $275. Just a different paint job (a pinkish red instead of crackle).

poopshovel again
5/25/19 6:52 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Well, yeah, but “steelers” crackle + reverse headstock + toothpaste logo is kinda the point.

I searched for THAT_NECK for months and couldn’t find one for the last custom build. Finally settled with a standard headstock.

Pete Gossett
5/25/19 8:57 a.m.

Not mine, but I picked this up off FB Marketplace last weekend for $125. It needs disassembled & cleaned, new strings, and it felt like the truss rod was  bottoming out before I got the neck straight, but it actually plays ok & sounds good despite all that. 

poopshovel again
5/25/19 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I still kinda crave one of those Cort Curbow fretless basses.

Pete Gossett
5/25/19 7:03 p.m.

I’ve heard good things about those. 

I had a Hohner 5-string Steinberger copy years ago & hated it. It didn’t balance for E36 M3, the neck was super chunky, double ball-end strings greatly limit your selections, and I found the tuners to not be very smooth. However the $150 headless fretless bass I picked up during the holidays has me reconsidering. Eventually I’m going to order a 6-string short-scale Keisel, but now I also want to build/modify a short-scale headless & bodyless bass to keep next to my desk. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/6/19 5:50 p.m.

Can we celebrate a new strap? My 1998 PRS CE-22 now wears a PRS paisley strap. 

Sadly, though, it didn't make me a better player. Looks rad, though. 

Antihero
6/6/19 10:32 p.m.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-ENLP-VAGH1

I hadn't heard of the guy til today but I kinda want this guitar now.

Still not a tunomatic but closer to my ideal single pickup Les Paul. I like p90s too although they aren't my first choice

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
6/7/19 3:43 p.m.

Just clicked the button on one of these:

See the source image

Discontinued for some time now, and hard to find for sale. I had actually ordered one years ago, and after waiting months on backorder (thanks MF) and being told just "another few weeks" for 6 months, they finally told me they had issued my card a refund and emailed me a coupon for a good discount on another guitar. I've been trying to find one for decent money ever since. Well, today is the day, and the trigger has been pulled. STOKED!

poopshovel again
6/7/19 4:50 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

RAD! Now you just need one of these!!!

1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hShOU4YG4S9sieiti0mNY0GPzSRjpZKUjk11aO6krH6X2nlATGMYfYNGjTrtKRFr