1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 136
Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/21 8:39 a.m.

Just redid my "way too much" bass pedal board.

Now the signal comes into the board, through the tuner, and into the line selector.  It splits into one line (B - red) going through all the effects, including the compressor, and then into the Sansamp.  The other line (A - green) bypasses everything and goes directly into the Sansamp, so now I can mix in a totally clean, uncompressed bass signal under the "effected" signal to retain bottom end, and add a subtle "extra" bass sound under everything.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/21 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

Do you run the sans amp DI only, or into a power amp too?

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/21 10:28 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

Do you run the sans amp DI only, or into a power amp too?

It all depends.

Home practice, I used a '72 Ampeg SVT into an 8x10 (Sansamp off).

Gigging (when that happened) I use a GK MB500 into either a house cab or my 4x10 (Sansamp off).

The Sansamp is primarily used as a DI for live shows, or used on borrowed gear when I don't bring my own head so I don't have to mess with anyone else's settings, or if one of my rigs goes down mid-set.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/23/21 10:48 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Are there any music stores near you where you can try something out?  I have one guitar (maybe two) in your price range, but I'm not sure either are what you're looking for.  Jackson Adrian Smith model (well under $400) or a late 80's USA Strat Ultra (a bit more than that...).  I also have an Ibanez Artcore archtop I'm thinking of parting with, but I'm not sure how well it would take shipping to SC w/o it ending up costing more than one you could get locally (I bought mine from a local Guitar Center a few years ago on a whim).

I have a Boss Cube Street that works pretty well as a small practice amp.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
2/23/21 12:37 p.m.

Hnmmggg

https://stgeorge.craigslist.org/msg/d/santa-clara-esp-ltd-mh-50-seymore/7281672552.html

cheap metal machine with Floyd. Wish I had room. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/21 12:53 p.m.
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/23/21 1:54 p.m.

Tuna, I've heard great things about the Slick guitars. The SL55 has caught my eye lately. Man, it's a looker. Well, aside from that black headstock.

These have Gretsch-style pickups, so they are a bit more chimey than your typical hot humbucker. The only downfall is no tone control, but they are a sweet guitar for the money. With the cash you save, you can get your Katana.

barefootskater (Shaun)
2/23/21 1:57 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Tuna, I've heard great things about the Slick guitars. The SL55 has caught my eye lately. Man, it's a looker. Well, aside from that black headstock.

These have Gretsch-style pickups, so they are a bit more chimey than your typical hot humbucker. The only downfall is no tone control, but they are a sweet guitar for the money. With the cash you save, you can get your Katana.

Quoted for amazing. Also to say, IN MY OPINION, tone knobs are completely useless. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/23/21 2:21 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Danelectros have a very disintinctive tone, very chimey, but they aren't super useful for all kinds of music. Lipstick pickups are cool, I have a few including hot humbuckers that are good for metal somehow, just make sure that that's the only tone you want.

Really I'd probably grab a squier strat in whatever finish you want and go from there. You'll still have budget left for an amp upgrade ( I like the fender mustang modeling amps for cheap fun). The Vox Pathfinder is the best small amp made imo.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/23/21 2:35 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

A Squier Classic Vibe HSS would be another good one:

You can get pretty much all the tones anyone would want out of one, plus that humbucker is nice to have for a little extra oomph if you need it. The Classic Vibe series are really nice and on par with the much more expensive Fenders, but new ones are about $429, so maybe a used one would be the way to go.

2/23/21 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

He could get a Squier Bullet HSS and a boss katana 50w for 20 bucks over the budget.

Or a smaller Katana and an Affinity for much under budget.

Classic Vibes are pretty cool though, I usually stay away from HSS strats and either go all HB or all singles myself though

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/23/21 3:14 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to tuna55 :

Are there any music stores near you where you can try something out?  I have one guitar (maybe two) in your price range, but I'm not sure either are what you're looking for.  Jackson Adrian Smith model (well under $400) or a late 80's USA Strat Ultra (a bit more than that...).  I also have an Ibanez Artcore archtop I'm thinking of parting with, but I'm not sure how well it would take shipping to SC w/o it ending up costing more than one you could get locally (I bought mine from a local Guitar Center a few years ago on a whim).

I have a Boss Cube Street that works pretty well as a small practice amp.

That archtop did catch my eye...

I think there is a GC around here somewhere.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/23/21 3:16 p.m.

All: Intuition, and that alone, tells me that the lower Fender lines won't be as good as the competitive models of the same style guitar. Thus, in my mind, having only used youtube to judge, G&L>Yamaha Pacifica>Squire.

But really I don't have a clue. And I heard enough really interesting videos to know that something which fits, has a nice neck shape, and holds the strings in the right places at the right tension, will do the things.

As I told my remote guitar teacher: If I handed my twelve year old a $100 driver and a $2000 driver, he's going to hit the golf ball the same either time.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/23/21 3:17 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Do you know anyone with firsthand knowlege? The video I saw from Darrell Braun made me really excited.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/23/21 3:18 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to tuna55 :

Here's my favorites for your partial refund (and buy an amp with the rest):

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-c-6-elite-6-string-electric-guitar

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/mitchell-md300mbls-double-cutaway-electric-guitar

Nice picks! I will probably avoid MF now after the mess they gave me, but these both look really neat.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/23/21 3:26 p.m.
2/23/21 3:27 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Oh,I thought it was a musicians friend credit. 

Not doing musicians friend opens up a world of possibilities.

Squiers are good, if anything I'd say they are better than anything similar in it's price range. I have several. There's a bunch of cheaper guitars that are great. My main guitar for Interstellar Sledgehammer is a xaviere xv585, a great guitar that if anyone finds one please tell me because I need more in my life. $169 or so new. Main downtuned guitar is a Squire Tele Custom I modded, $199 new. I also use a Drive Wildfire X3 , another I want another of, that was stunningly cheap for a neck thru guitar. Stay away from squiers Bass VI though, I hate mine with a fiery unending passion

barefootskater (Shaun)
2/23/21 3:28 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

If my vote counts, first choice is the gretsch, and the artcore is a close second. Both are fantastically versatile, attractive, and have mojo. 

2/23/21 3:31 p.m.

I'm semi hestitant to mention Firefly because they have had some problems but these are usually very highly regarded. I have a FFTH by them that's great.

https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/semi-hollow-body-electric-guitars

2/23/21 3:32 p.m.

Have you played any hollowbodies? They are also sort of specialized for reasons, really hard to modify if you wanna do pickups etc too

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/21 3:40 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Oh I thought it was a MF credit. I really really like my Sawtooth. Check thisout:

https://www.godpsmusic.com/products/sawtooth-heritage-series-maple-top-electric-guitar-antique-white?_pos=4&_sid=da22771d1&_ss=r 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/21 3:46 p.m.
tuna55 said:

All: Intuition, and that alone, tells me that the lower Fender lines won't be as good as the competitive models of the same style guitar. Thus, in my mind, having only used youtube to judge, G&L>Yamaha Pacifica>Squire.

With the Squires it really depends - the mid- to upper range models that would be closest to the G&L Tributes are of very similar quality IMHO (I've owned both). I'd be happy with either as long as it feels good to play. Can't really comment on Pacificas as I never owned or played one, but they're supposed to be pretty good.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/23/21 3:58 p.m.
tuna55 said:
Tony Sestito said:

Do you know anyone with firsthand knowlege? The video I saw from Darrell Braun made me really excited.

Ha, I watched that same video!

My favorite guitar shop gets Slick guitars in every once in a while. They had a Tele with single coils about a year ago, and it was nice. Fit and finish looked decent and it felt good.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/23/21 4:11 p.m.

Squier stuff can be hit or miss, like any other budget brand, but they do make some nice stuff. The Affinity and Bullet series are the real cheap ones, and in that range you basically have to play a few until you get a real good one. The Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe models are pretty much on par with Fender Mexicans as far as build quality, but sometimes have cheaper hardware. The Vintage Modified '77 Jazz Bass I have was a "factory 2nd" but it was made as well as any real Fender I've played. The "flaws" are so small that you can barely tell, and they are cosmetic. It does have the thinner body and cheaper hardware, but it sounds and plays amazing.

Yamaha makes some solid stuff, and they are often overlooked. The cheaper Pacifica guitars aren't flashy, but they get the job done, are made well, and sound decent. They make for fantastic student/intermediate instruments. 

G&L Tributes are quality instruments on par with PRS SE's, the Sterling by Music Man guitars, and some of the mid-range Schecters. I'd snag one in a second if it was the right deal.

Oh, there's another one: Sterling by Music Man! They make some really nice, unique stuff. I've messed around with a few of them in shops, and they feel and sound great.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/23/21 4:20 p.m.

If the Slick has the tone knob turned "all the way up" then it's just fine laugh

Really like the look of that Sawtooth Heritage.. I just can't get away from LPs so this may be an option for my next one instead of another Epi.

1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XGOCM4hhEAEN4XZ9KnrhGx9uj1C61Ly7GmTiKlxBRUY6YaYKH4XNbPCrVmGSv8RV