1 2 3 ... 7
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/28/14 8:56 a.m.

Since the Feedback forum is no more, this will now be the thread for reporting canoes. Please post a link to the threads and the names of the spammers in this thread. Big thanks to everyone who takes the time to report Spammy McSpammers. Your help makes it easier for us to blow them out of the water!

You may also use this thread to request moderator assistance, such as updating a thread title or moving a thread to another forum, or to report forum violations. 

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
5/14/15 3:46 a.m.

A explanation on canoes for newbies:

With older GRM forum formats mods had to comb through threads for spammers, which took way too much time to do because of the number of spammers we got. There was no "report comment" button what like other boards have. The community helped out by flagging potential spammers with a key word, which the mods would then search the boards for. "Canoe" became the keyword to identify them. "Flounder" is a similar keyword we used for flamewars/flamebait/trolling... basically, Internet arguments gone out of control. Threads on religion, politics, and your favorite brand of penetrant/motor oil/etc. are particularly susceptible to becoming flounders.

Of course, canoe and flounder have become in-jokes. So are the filters for naughty words. You can figure those out by filter pwning yourself.

So if you find a spammer or someone who isn't playing nice with the community, please report them here. Mods don't actively go searching for every instance of the word 'canoe' anymore, so while its OK to reply to a spammer with 'canoe,' we may still not see it. Tattle on them here, and we'll make the decision on whether to banhammer them or not.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/9/18 2:25 p.m.
John Welsh said:
AngryCorvair said:

User stainley991

thread https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/you-need-this-turbo-e30-bmw-3/144555/page1/

Done

Interesting tidbit:  earlier in the thread there was a canoeist called Stainley990.   Were I a betting man, I'd bet there's a Stainley992 in our future.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/9/18 2:30 p.m.

I monitor registration to help squash spammers before they start, and scanning for suspect usernames and previous spammer names is my modus operandi, but since the 24 hour wait before new members can post has been lifted it is impossible to catch all of them. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to report in this thread! You are my heros!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/9/18 2:54 p.m.

I think there should be a "you can't post a link until you've been here so long and/or have so many posts" kinda thing.  That would kill off a bunch of them too.  The board software would just need to auto-remove any links from newbies.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
11/11/18 6:09 a.m.
loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/11/18 10:44 p.m.
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/12/18 5:06 a.m.

Got 'em, thanks guys! yes

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/12/18 7:05 a.m.

Not a spammer, but new member “livinon2wheels” is slowly but surely zombifying every build thread having to do with anything subaru.  Maybe a friendly note?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/12/18 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Yeah, I noticed him this morning. I'll reach out. yes

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
11/13/18 3:10 a.m.
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/13/18 4:51 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Got him, thanks! yes

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
11/13/18 6:34 a.m.

Garry4garage in multiple threads. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/13/18 8:05 a.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Got him, thanks! yes

CJ
CJ Reader
11/14/18 5:30 a.m.
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/14/18 5:50 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

Got her, thanks! yes

CJ
CJ Reader
11/14/18 6:33 a.m.
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/14/18 6:44 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

Yeah, they tend to come in waves. Thanks! yes

Kylini
Kylini Dork
11/14/18 6:47 a.m.
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/14/18 7:02 a.m.

Got him, thanks! yes

CJ
CJ Reader
11/14/18 9:25 a.m.
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/14/18 9:28 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

Got him, thanks! yes

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/14/18 4:08 p.m.

Just noticed that when you search the forums for something it shows you the last post in the thread and tells you the forum it is in but it does not give me the thread title. Am I doing it wrong?   

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/14/18 4:09 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Hmm, let me give it a look. Are you using a mobile phone or regular computer?

On my mobile the search does exactly what you describe, but clicking on the box with the post takes you to the thread in question. Are you searching for a particular thread?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/15/18 2:11 a.m.

Username qedtusopil

thread Peniscanoe and the pills blew

1 2 3 ... 7
Our Preferred Partners
6LvIS2BV7lVg1PsuFvLn3tmvb367Znt5t92dqXSUz0gyaWprX60UF3Puv8NcymIk