1 2
Zoominiroc
Zoominiroc
11/14/14 1:21 p.m.

Hi, new here so go easy. I have a question. Is there any interest in the LOLA 7/10 cars made in 1978 and 1979 and again from 81 till 84 ? I have a chance to by 30 frames and bodies and enough parts to build about 20 cars and a tractor trailer of NOS parts. It aint cheap and and he wants an answer at the end of the day, today.

Thanks in advance and please, anybody with any insight chime in as there is Zero info on the web about these cars.

-Mike

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
11/14/14 1:27 p.m.

What are you looking to do with them? Race series? Open to public go kart place? Not sure?

Also, once we know what you plan to do with them, an approximately location might help too.

As for the "any interest" part, the general rule around here is if it has an engine and can be raced, we're interested.

Zoominiroc
Zoominiroc New Reader
11/14/14 1:41 p.m.

There were 20 whole cars. They got sold for $500 each and went in one day. 6 of them went to friends of mine. I missed out. The seller is from Germany and he's going home next week. He wants to sell everything at once. The only way I get a car is to buy them all and then sell everything off over time. We are going to take our cars to a local road course and race them. It sounds like fun right ? If there is a market out there for spare parts I will be the king of NOS ! If not i'm out 20K with two tractor trailers of junk I have no place to keep but and can't afford to store. They are in Northwest NJ by the way. The cars were from the now defunct Action Park.

Zoominiroc
Zoominiroc New Reader
11/14/14 1:43 p.m.

If I knew how many cars were out there in private hands then I could judge better but I can't even find an accurate production number for these things.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
11/14/14 2:07 p.m.

These look kind of like the ones that were at the Malibu Grand Prix cart tracks. Anyway, I'd be interested in buying one from you if you get them.

Zoominiroc
Zoominiroc New Reader
11/14/14 2:12 p.m.
Cotton wrote: These look kind of like the ones that were at the Malibu Grand Prix cart tracks. Anyway, I'd be interested in buying one from you if you get them.

That's them. What would you figure they are worth? What happened to the Malibu cars ? Any market for spare parts ?

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
11/14/14 2:12 p.m.

Are they something like this?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
11/14/14 2:14 p.m.
Zoominiroc wrote:
Cotton wrote: These look kind of like the ones that were at the Malibu Grand Prix cart tracks. Anyway, I'd be interested in buying one from you if you get them.
That's them. What would you figure they are worth? What happened to the Malibu cars ? Any market for spare parts ?

No idea really but I had A LOT of fun driving these back when there was a Malibu Grand Prix in Memphis, TN.

Zoominiroc
Zoominiroc New Reader
11/14/14 3:23 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: Are they something like this?

That's #67 My friends own #'s 64,65 and 66. The trailer has a bunch of first run cars but I've got to get there to read the numbers on the tags.

Zoominiroc
Zoominiroc New Reader
11/14/14 6:46 p.m.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/s320x320/10340007_10205527726932502_5409917638095292726_n.jpg?oh=8aea074e727041e2dca59489bcb259e5&oe=54EAA413

That's what the better ones looked like.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
11/14/14 6:59 p.m.

I would only buy for just over the scrap metal value. Zero collector value and a lot of work to sort the wheat from the chaff if you buy the lot. These are not collector cars with a future, they are commercial go-carts without a venue.

To me, the deal has no upside.

Zoominiroc
Zoominiroc New Reader
11/14/14 7:27 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: I would only buy for just over the scrap metal value. Zero collector value and a lot of work to sort the wheat from the chaff if you buy the lot. These are not collector cars with a future, they are commercial go-carts without a venue. To me, the deal has no upside.

I was afraid of that. I was hoping that Lola collectors would come forward. I reached out to Carl Haas who was the Lola importer during the 70's and 80's There is a guy still working for him at Haas Racing who is going to call me Monday. He knows all about them including who purchased them. The MSRP in the 70's was $6,000. That's a pretty expensive go cart ! And calling them a go cart really isn't fair. I thought that when I saw the pictures but I changed my mind when the shell came off. The chassis is a scaled down version of the Ford F-1 car. The construction and welding on these things are really a labor of love. The 4 wheel independent, coil overs. 4 wheel hydralic brakes, rack and pinion steering. Hell, I about fell over when I stood next to one. It's over 10 feet long and almost 5 feet wide ! Upper and lower arms in front, 4 link in the rear. Sway bars and eveything is adjustable at all 4 corners. They weigh 650 pounds !

MattGent
MattGent Reader
11/14/14 8:55 p.m.

What kind of power & drivetrain do they have?

I'd wait until the day he's going to leave and offer not much more than you think one running car and a good spares collection is worth. $20k is crazy for a pile of parts.

Zoominiroc
Zoominiroc New Reader
11/14/14 9:15 p.m.

In reply to MattGent:

We have Wankel rotary motors that were removed and 2 cylinder snow mobile motors put in their place. Lots of used and new as well as rebuild parts for both. Lola transaxle cast by them. Centrifigal trans, tons of spare clutches and belts.

I backed out of the deal but there are other interested parties. I can't wait until his last day. Rent will be due and he's gonna make it go somewhere before that happens. He might put it out to the curb or sell it for $1,000 but that's unlikely either way. Something will happen...... moving 12,000 lbs. of chassis and a 40 ft trailer filled with additional parts wont be easy or fast. He doesn't own the trailers and they stay where they are. I have to move it and store it and then start to go through it. If i could get it cheap and then pick up the rent from the landlord then it would be sweet ! I'm retired so I could spend the winter cataloging stuff and move a truck load every other day to my partner's shop. My partner can paint and work in fiber glass. Both of us could refinish the parts and just build one car at a time and sell them until I get my $$$ back. The real pay off would be the NOS parts if, and it's a big IF, a few dozen people would come forward who own these things and need parts.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
11/15/14 1:38 p.m.

Whatever happens, I am interested in buying a rolling chassis. That plus a motorcycle engine could be lots of fun, maybe even great for autocrossing. At the very least, six of your friends own one, somebody got the other 14, and eventually they will break stuff or wear it out. Sounds like there could be a bunch of these cars out there needing parts. Looks like many of the Malibu Grand Prix centers have closed, so that's quite a few cars out there somewhere.

Zoominiroc
Zoominiroc New Reader
11/15/14 7:38 p.m.

On Monday I have to call Haas racing and speak to the guy who knows how many cars were imported and where they went to. There is a site for the Lola registry that shows 153 people own them but I can't access the list. The price dropped to $15K today....

chapel
chapel New Reader
8/21/15 2:02 p.m.

apparently they're back

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/ebay-find-someone-is-selling-37-lola-506-go-karts-from-the-most-dangerous-and-insane-defunct-american-amusement-park-ever/

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
8/21/15 3:12 p.m.

In reply to chapel:

And they are from the infamous Action Park to boot!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/15 6:54 p.m.

Just curious, how much for a single runner?

Teletron254
Teletron254
1/19/18 9:29 p.m.

In reply to Zoominiroc :

I know this post is old but I've been looking for several of these Lola T506 karts to restore.  If you have a lead on on any of these, please let me know.  I'd be interested in any parts you might have or even a lead on where one could be found.  

Thanks!

ChrisEspo83
ChrisEspo83
12/5/19 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Zoominiroc :

Hey ,,, I own a lola t506 I know the guy in NJ who has 32 of the lola's You said you know where a few went that you sold.. I have a lola page on facebook.. please join it.. https://www.facebook.com/groups/427470274579287/

ChrisEspo83
ChrisEspo83 New Reader
12/5/19 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Zoominiroc : You said your friend ownes 64 65 and 66 ,.. was that scott goldberg ? i believe if it is i know that 1 lola went back to the guy craig who has 32 of them.. 1 sold on e bay.. and 1 sold to a guy name jeff brazer who is on my facebook lola t506 page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/427470274579287/

ChrisEspo83
ChrisEspo83 New Reader
12/5/19 3:33 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :Believe it or not they have collector value.. You calling them scrap really shows u know nothing about preserving history and yes they are worth money.. You sir have no idea what your talking about.....

ChrisEspo83
ChrisEspo83 New Reader
12/5/19 3:35 p.m.

In reply to Teletron254 :I have a lead on the 32 lola's I know the guy and speak with him often. I actually just messaged him now. :)

ChrisEspo83
ChrisEspo83 New Reader
12/5/19 3:37 p.m.

In reply to Zoominiroc :

can you give me some info on who you are speaking tooo at haas reacing? If you would like please join my lola page and message me.. my name is Chris Esposito  or i have anothe name on facebook Chris Espo.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MVG71ClgCicHtLpklRFxfOVyq0M9H2JB0PuuxoAetr5ju4pIanPrTc26D65CVnZN