1 2
RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
1/14/20 1:17 p.m.

Finance an iceracer? Is he berking nuts? Or did I read that wrong? 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/14/20 1:23 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:

I wonder if 'Ice racing' is more like 'Ice autocross' in that region.  If not I'm with you, I don't see financing something that will pretty much guaranteed get hit a fair bit.  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/14/20 1:35 p.m.

This guy is sharp.  He knows how to make money and even better he knows how to spend it.  
On the surface I'd tend to agree with you. But  I've thought of several reasons to do this since we spoke last night.  

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
1/14/20 1:58 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
RealMiniNoMore said:

I wonder if 'Ice racing' is more like 'Ice autocross' in that region.  If not I'm with you, I don't see financing something that will pretty much guaranteed get hit a fair bit.  

He mentioned repairing body parts with junkyard pieces, so.....

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/20 3:06 p.m.

Mazda CX-3 AWD…2,954 Lbs…148 Hp…only problem is that it has a 6 speed automatic.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/14/20 3:16 p.m.

The more I think about this the more I think FWD is just fine.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/15/20 7:07 a.m.

To come to the unknown buys defense it may make sense to him.  I know several very very high net worth individuals.  They can borrow money so cheaply they buy cars with loans even though they could easily pay cash, as they can make more with the money than the interest rate.   I wouldn't do that for a race car, but some people may.  I did have a friend who leased a Saturn then went showroom stock racing with it while making monthly payments on it.  At the end of the lease he bought it out for the residual.  Again I never understood that.  

Anyway, Frenchyd, do you have pics of the late departed Sonnet ice racer?

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/15/20 9:02 a.m.

The fact that it's replacing a Sonett must tell us something about how hard a life this car is actually facing.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/15/20 9:29 a.m.
Ransom said:

The fact that it's replacing a Sonett must tell us something about how hard a life this car is actually facing.

And the fact that the Sonnett said goodbye thanks to an accident while it was on a trailer. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/15/20 10:59 a.m.

Well in lieu of pics of the departed Sonnet ice race I went to Google for some pics.  I doubt any of these cars is Frenchies friend, but they're fun.

Image result for ice racing saab sonettImage result for ice racing saab sonett

Image result for ice racing saab sonett

Image result for ice racing saab sonett

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/15/20 12:35 p.m.

I like that blue one minus that hood bulge.  Not enough to go looking for a Sonnet thou.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/15/20 2:27 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to mtn :

Manuel was auto only.

I might have been high when I posted this.

AWD was auto only.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/15/20 5:04 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

To come to the unknown buys defense it may make sense to him.  I know several very very high net worth individuals.  They can borrow money so cheaply they buy cars with loans even though they could easily pay cash, as they can make more with the money than the interest rate.   I wouldn't do that for a race car, but some people may.  I did have a friend who leased a Saturn then went showroom stock racing with it while making monthly payments on it.  At the end of the lease he bought it out for the residual.  Again I never understood that.  

Anyway, Frenchyd, do you have pics of the late departed Sonnet ice racer?

I know I must. If only background.  The trouble is they are film, on paper.   I'm pretty sure I know where the box is too. 
Edit; 

The picture of the car and trailer down the revine  is on my EMail. If SHMBO gets home at a reasonable hour I'll have her transfer it over to here. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/15/20 5:08 p.m.
Saron81 said:
Adrian_Thompson said:
RealMiniNoMore said:

He mentioned repairing body parts with junkyard pieces, so.....

Early in his ice racing career he started buying up damaged Saab Sonnets,  cheap  or even free.  I'm sure he'll do the same with whatever he gets.  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/15/20 5:59 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

The more I think about this the more I think FWD is just fine.

I don't know enough about ice racing to know why, I just know once he makes up his mind up he really focuses on that. 
The fact that I haven't heard from him since that first call makes me think he's headed back up to Canada with some plan to recover the car.  I wouldn't put it past him. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/18/20 10:23 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Update;  spoke to him last night. Yes he's up in Canada trying to recover his Saab.  I guess there is an issue with customs with just leaving it there. 
To answer some questions.

Yes like many high net worth people he keeps his money working.  Right now there are big tax implications to remove funds and a car loan is the easy button.  
 He was thinking of the New Honda Civic R. 
Does that really have 300 horsepower stock?   But I guess the weight is too great.  A combination of high horsepower and high weight is fatal to tire studs. 
         I suggested the insurance wrecked car sites  but the price would need to be extremely low to fit inside of his cash on hand budget. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9nZYVZ9iY3HhBtQYZimtg3WXjmUjLx2m18DEtzFbDSnNhavXxDnS3kZhOpMy7WK0