John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/12/18 7:55 a.m.

My neice's boyfriend is a recent grad of Ohio State University.  He is currently doing a fellowship at the Ohio State House, Capital Building in Columbus.  From there he will continue onto law school.  Furthermore, he is from Puerto Rico.  Right before the hurricane hit Puerto Rico (where his mother still lives) their plan was to ship a family car for him over from PR.  That car was a Hyundai/Kia SUV of some sort.  

Even without the hurricane, when that plan was told to me, my advice to him was, "why spend $2k shipping in a car?"  Why not sell that car in PR and then with the money gotten buy a replacement car that is already here on the mainland?  At the time when this all was going down, I had the luxury of having a good, old Impala here in the fleet.  Since I could, I then sold "gave" him that '00 Impala.  About a month later, his first time EVER driving in snow, he knocked up the Impala.   I pulled the fender so it did not rub and he has driven it like this for the past 6 months. 

It's summer now and his life has stabilized a bit.  He is looking to buy something better.  I thought I would reach out to GRM and see what y'all are sitting on  and too see if there is a good car out there to buy.  

His original plan was to get his mother's Hyundai/Kia SUV so I figure that this might be the sort of think he would hope to get but it does not have to be.  I suspect that it should be an auto trans.  I suspect he does not know how to drive a manual.  I would also expect that he has little to no mechanical ability so an appliance would be the goal, no ongoing projects.  

This doesn't have to be a $2k car.  Could be more.  Could finance.  

I just thought I would reach out to GRM and see what's out there in the way of an honest sale from an honest seller to an honest buyer.  Thanks.  

If PM doesn't work then direct to jwelsh02...yahoo...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/12/18 8:19 a.m.

You’ve got mail

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/20 5:50 a.m.

In reply to GirlTami GirlTami :

I am starting small, I'm going to buy a canoe 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/6/20 7:13 a.m.

This old thread brought back to life by a spammer.  Since its back to the top, some update.  Before i could help the nieces' boyfriend find another car, they split up.  I can only guess that the Impala has gone to the great wrecking yard in the sky.  My niece is at Georgetown Law School finishing up her final year.  

In other news of cars good for a college student...  

Back in April of 2019 (about 1.5 years ago) I sold this Mercury Milan to one of my oldest and closest friends.   His Accord got hit in an accident he didn't cause and he needed a replacement quick.  So, since I am "the car guy friend" he called me.  This accident came at an inopportune time (due to a major investment he made into his business) and a he wanted a low cost replacement.  I had the Milan and it was perfect for him.   The business investment has paid off.  He just bought himself a new F150.  I went and got the Milan from him and will sell it off for him.  

2010 Milan w/ 2.5L auto and 115k miles.  

Runs great.  Only towing because I do not know how to drive two cars at the same time. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/7/20 8:32 a.m.

How much John?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/20 8:53 a.m.

I can't believe the boyfriend didn't get a green Prius...

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/7/20 2:57 p.m.

That Milan would be a good car for my mom, only I don't know how we would pay for it. Loans for cars that old are tricky with poor credit.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/7/20 5:30 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Not tricky at all. 

Pen Fed has no vehicle age rule. Just has to be within 110% of NADA value. 

My personal experience w/ PenFed 

But, I can not answer the poor credit portion. It would be free to get an answer from them. 

G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter)
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/8/20 4:30 p.m.

Is VW still leasing Jettas for $169/mo with $2500 down? $2028 a year plus tax in payments for something safe and under warranty sounds pretty sweet for a young person whose needs may change within a few years, especially when Ohio's in the rust belt and I've seen cheap reliable cars still cost nigh-on $2k/year in maintenance and repairs.

EDIT: Zombie thread, pay no mind

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cBBMOA1T0AYYmJdBTSEzUbTszLSuPhkFj2ofMo1fSh5bvKu6DTR9icCsIXcbgklC