1 2 3
billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
1/17/09 8:25 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: ... No one calls you at 3AM saying Mr. Jones had a bowel movement but it all didn't come out and is it OK if they give him a laxative.

I really wish I had your phone number so I could crank call you with that one.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/18/09 7:58 a.m.

Fortunately, I have Caller ID.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
1/18/09 1:52 p.m.

Just knowing you'd be checking it at 3AM would be enough for me.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
1/18/09 2:44 p.m.

Simple formula was ignored. Make people want to do business with you.. Circuit City lost track of that and failed.

Many of the processes used by modern business men are aimed at raising stockholder value in the short term rather than building long term stability and security.

I first noticed this with a company I was with that was one of the largest pizza chains ever. Heard of Pizza Inn? The men that built it over 30 years lost control to another group that gutted and killed it.

It really happens all the time. Remember Mongomery Wards..Gibsons..Western Auto just to name a few.

It is sad to watch, but failure happens sometimes.

I tend to watch restaurants as examples...specifically pizza. I see the signs of failure in both Dominoes and Papa Johns. Pay restructuring, lesser quality product, reduced customer service, reduced employee training and benifits and an increase in upper managment pay.

New breed of CEOs see a business like an oyster.....they get the pearl but kill the oyster.

I often see seemingly smart companies making silly errors. I failed to get a promotion as it was pointed out that I lacked experience. Worked for 14 years with the same company as it grew by nearly 9000% in size. Fellow who got the job had 9 jobs in 11 years....more experience!!?? This company just went to bankruptcy and the company that bought them out is also going bankrupt.

Great men build...small men destroy!

Bruce

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/18/09 3:03 p.m.
egnorant wrote: I tend to watch restaurants as examples...specifically pizza. I see the signs of failure in both Dominoes and Papa Johns. Pay restructuring, lesser quality product, reduced customer service, reduced employee training and benifits and an increase in upper managment pay.

Yep. I work part-time at a Dick's Sporting Goods and a lot of this is RAMPANT there. Thankfully, I'm not too dependent on it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rGGI31brJsE0Q7RLlWZKGJqXcEHkCRXFU8EtarkewO7rFUrasJB0DrkCde0PmgtG