1 2 3 4
dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/15/19 8:45 a.m.
mtn said:

No way I'd call her a gold digger. Princeton grad who worked for a Hedge fund before they moved across the country and he started Amazon. 

And I'm sure she had a ton to do with the success of the business - the first years are the hardest and she was the first employee and involved in the planning before it even started. Just more mysogyny from ddavidv, honestly. He should read less "rational male." (Talk about a misleading name for a web site.)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/19 12:22 p.m.
fifty said:

richer than Gina Rinehart? Personal wealth is ~$19 billion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Rinehart

By a factor of 3. Bezos will be worth ~$69 billion.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/15/19 12:25 p.m.
ddavidv said:

Hypergamy doesn't care.

Marriage/divorce:  just another business transaction.

Add an arrow at the peak of the growth that says “Affair here.”. It tells a different story. 

Javelin
1/15/19 12:28 p.m.
ddavidv said:

Hypergamy doesn't care.

Marriage/divorce:  just another business transaction.

Bull E36 M3. Mackenzie was richer than him when they got together, was Amazon's first employee, and has been credited with a number of their market-shattering innovations. Even more than that, they didn't separate until last fall when Jeff started dating another woman and the divorce is only happening because he'd rather have the new girl than his wife of 25 years. I'm surprised to see such misogyny from a GRMer...

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
1/15/19 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

He's posted similar things in a couple of other threads, and I wish he would stop.  We don't need any red pill trash on this forum, that whole group is like the male version of the anti-vaxx movement:  A bit of pseudo-science combined with an echo chamber just churns out trolls.  

I hope the Bezos' divorce is amicable, tough to have your private life dragged through the limelight.   I expect with $70/billion apiece, they'll power through somehow.   

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/15/19 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Interesting... if she was Amazon's first employee, I wonder how many stock options of her own she has.  it's possible she could come out of this worth more than him , depending on how they split everything. 

Javelin
1/15/19 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

I'm all too intimately familiar with divorces in Washington state. With no pre-nup, all assets and debts are split 50/50 unless otherwise decided and must be approved as fair and equitable by a judge. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
1/15/19 3:23 p.m.

There's a lot of ruffled feathers over a single misogynistic post considering the basis of the discussion is all about a woman suddenly becoming more desirable and sought after because she's wealthy.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/15/19 3:39 p.m.
STM317 said:

There's a lot of ruffled feathers over a single misogynistic post considering the basis of the discussion is all about a woman suddenly becoming more desirable and sought after because she's wealthy.

It's not a single post. It's a pattern from the user in question.

Finding someone more desirable because they're wealthy is not misogyny, it's just greed.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/15/19 3:45 p.m.

[edit]  Never mind.  I made a long ranty post about how women shouldn't be judged as a group any more than any other group should, but I worded it a lot less politely.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/19 3:50 p.m.

Does Whole Foods get to go live with Mom or Dad? Joint custody?

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
1/15/19 4:24 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I don't disagree. When I said "single misogynistic post", I was referring just to posts made in this thread and not any prior posts made by any specific posters.

The apparently inflammatory post shows a chart that implies Ms Bezos is a greedy gold digger, and it was deemed misogynistic. The implication in the thread title is that she's suddenly desirable because of her net worth, but isn't that kind of the same thing as the chart that got people worked up?

My overall point, is that it's not a particularly virtuous topic, and it wasn't exactly framed in a way that is neutral toward women (even though I'm sure it was done jokingly), so why act upset by a single post just because it was the most overt, or because of who posted it? The entire discussion has some seedy undertones. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/15/19 4:46 p.m.

I  Myself Find Her Very Attractive,   If I Never Saw Any of this Thread, Met Her And Was Single, I Surely Would Ask Her Out Not Caring If She Was Self Supportive.

Still Don't Have A Date For The Challenge,   Could someone Pass Her A Note.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
1/15/19 5:41 p.m.

I honestly wonder what the issues were. 

It obviously wasn't money. 

She had a fair amount of free time, apparently wrote her novels in a separate apartment.  They both worked pretty hard at looking good. Used to go on regular walks in the morning together and were seen at lots of social functions together as well.

My guess is that Jeff found a new desire in Sanchez and Mackenzie could get mad or get even, and when getting even makes you the richest woman in the world...why get mad? 

There is probably something to be learned when the richest couple in the world becomes the two individually richest people in the world.  

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
1/15/19 5:42 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

He cheated on her as far as I know.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/15/19 5:48 p.m.

"Doesn't matter what he/she looks like, you know somebody somewhere is tired of putting up with their E36 M3."

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/19 5:54 p.m.
pheller said:

There is probably something to be learned when the richest couple in the world becomes the two individually richest people in the world.  

Actually if Jeff loses half his money he wouldn't be the richest man in the world any more, but he would still be in the top 10...

Not that this is much better...check out the rankings and how the lower bound of the top 10 has changed over the last few years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World%27s_Billionaires

Another fun fact, when Smaug's dungeon was seen in the Hobbit movie that came out in 2012, some very nerdy fans calculated the volume of gold in the dungeon and made painstakingly realistic valuations of some mythical items inside, and his wealth was estimated at $53B, which would have put him at #3 at the time but would not be in the top 10 today.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
1/15/19 6:02 p.m.

If the cheating thing is true that means some broad out there just made an enemy of the worlds richest woman.

I bet she feels great.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/15/19 6:19 p.m.

So she gets 1/2 of their 16% share of Amazon, teams up with other stockholders or sells her shares, and ol' Jeff  gets kicked out of the company management.   

Stranger things have happened.       

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
1/15/19 7:39 p.m.

Moral of the story?

Keep it in your pants.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
1/15/19 8:00 p.m.
jharry3 said:

So she gets 1/2 of their 16% share of Amazon, teams up with other stockholders or sells her shares, and ol' Jeff  gets kicked out of the company management.   

Stranger things have happened.       

That would be awesome. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/15/19 8:42 p.m.

I always though I could live as Mr Dolly Parton.  Not really her but the idea of a wealthy lady and I could stay home and do laundry.  

What kind of allowance would she put me on?

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/16/19 7:54 a.m.

No, she's not a "gold digger". But she is parting company at pretty much the perfect time to cash out well.

Bezos cheated on her. She's arguably more attractive than he is on a physical level. Pure speculation of course, but I suspect he wasn't having his physical or emotional needs met by her. Doesn't matter how hot someone is if they aren't expressing affection for you. That can be a lonely place in a marriage. She didn't force him to cheat but when he did the 'blame' of the divorce shifted to him. A plus for her.

misogyny:  dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.

Hardly me. Been married for 26.8 years. Count several women as good friends and co-workers. There is a difference between contempt and prejudice versus understanding how the minds of the different sexes work. Intersexual dynamics has been a hobby of mine for the last several years. My information isn't just gleaned from a few blogs, forums or YouTube videos. Feel free to disagree or completely dislike a countering viewpoint. My opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/19 8:18 a.m.
STM317 said:

Which may be sexist in itself, if you look too deeply, or not deep enough.

Reminds me of a Deadpool quote.  "Is it sexist if I shoot you?  Is it sexist if I DON'T shoot you?  I don't know!"

(seconding the "can weld" comment)

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/16/19 8:42 a.m.
BoostedBrandon said:

Moral of the story?

Keep it in your pants.

If you ever have enough doubt to ask yourself that question, this is always the right answer.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZaPUqyy5oW6Oys8qJ5179JZqoI6fgKPxBuVeWZVFlXrDbinMbUaisMOvR7E1TE2