1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18
kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/9/20 7:31 p.m.
slowbird said:

I just remembered I have these two N-scale 90s Ford truck models that I picked up at a hobby shop. I didn't really have any plan for them, I just thought they were neat. I don't know if they fit your time period for your layout, but I could part with them if you'd like to have them.

Got 'em today.  Thanks!  

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/10/20 8:36 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Yay! I'm excited to see how they look when built.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/10/20 7:27 p.m.

Soooooo . . . thinking of hiding this somewhere on the layout:

THE BACKWOODS LEGEND BIGFOOT  N Scale Finished Woodlands Character

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/10/20 8:14 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Hide that in one corner, and a blue truck with huge tires in another corner. cheeky

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
11/10/20 10:38 p.m.
Appleseed said:

There is absolutely no official right way.  You think the first guy to try ceiling tile rock had any idea if it would work? As long as it looks good to you and you're satisfied with it, that's the only test it has to pass.

Except broccoli. Yeah, it looks like trees. But it rots. That's defiantly the wrong way. laugh

i choked on my drink when i read this. yeah, i'm catching up. your attention to detail is amazing, kazoospec

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/11/20 7:43 p.m.

Got some work done on the cell tower base.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/13/20 8:08 p.m.

We got some lighted cars this week.  I finally got a chance to get one connected up tonight.  Pretty happy with how they look.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
11/13/20 8:25 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

coming together nicely! imo the "grand opening" looks like lego brand font

Lego

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/14/20 2:52 p.m.

Found these at an antique store.  I cross posted them in the Hotwheels thread just to be sure they aren't worth something.  If not, I'm totally mixing them in with other traffic on the railroad.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
11/14/20 3:19 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

if you have room/time/if kazookid2 wants it, you should make a mini NASCAR track with number 3 in the lead

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/14/20 4:14 p.m.

I'm definitely planning on a small oval track somewhere on my layout. Maybe a dirt track, maybe pavement, not sure yet.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/14/20 4:32 p.m.

Actually, I was thinking it would be cool to make a "back yard race shop" behind one of the houses if I end up doing a residential segment somewhere.  I'll put at least one of them on a lift with someone working on it with one of the "Evan Designs" arc welder kits.

Obligatory pic:

welding simulator kit

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/17/20 8:42 p.m.

Okay Slowbird, got them painted up:

As I indicated, the tow truck ended up in a "towing away a handicap violator" vignette.

The F-150 got painted as a CN MOW truck.  A few months ago, one of CN's local signal maintenance guys talked with my son (who is really into signals and signal maintenance) for quite a while about what he does and how he learned the job, so he'll end up an honorary member of the railroad.  That part of the scene still needs the right figure, a signal shed, power supply and a gravel lot.  This scene will end up in front of the truck here:

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/17/20 11:07 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Sweet! laugh

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/18/20 8:04 p.m.

Today, a local youtuber ("Mr. Canadian National") that we sometimes see out railfanning . . . complete with his minivan and trademark Detroit Lions hat. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/19/20 7:07 p.m.

TIL - I hate ballasting track.  TI(also)L - I'm terrible at it.  These two facts may be related.  

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/20/20 7:06 p.m.

Today, got the MOW vignette done.  I got an "Oooh, good" from Kazookid2, which is high praise from a kid with autism.  

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/21/20 3:02 p.m.

Thanks to Virtual Railfan, now I want a CN "Test Track Evalution Unit", which I believe is an RDC1.  

CN 1501 - Test Track Evaluation Systems car

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/21/20 9:48 p.m.

OK, so I need some opinions here.  I've started my next major project, which is a highway bridge over the tracks along the back of the layout.  

The bridge:

It will go along the "back wall" on the right hand of this picture.  The prototype railroad doesn't really have anything between the industrial complex on the left and the highway bridge I'm modeling.  That just seems kind of boring, but I'm kind of stumped on what to add.  I mean, I could add a few trees and some landscaping, but I'm trying to think of something more interesting.  Any ideas?

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/21/20 10:09 p.m.

I should also mention, I found a couple pics of the CN 1501/RDC1 rumbling thorugh our prototype city of Battle Creek, so Kazookid2 is totally in on the idea of getting one now.

CN 1501 RDC

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/21/20 10:10 p.m.

Hmmm. Maybe a small amusement park. Or a go-kart track. Paintball arena? Or a dragstrip. Tiny airport?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/21/20 10:47 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

What about a 2-4 mill wind farm? Cut down some 3 blade RC props and power them with 5mm pager motors. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
11/22/20 4:48 p.m.
kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
11/22/20 6:54 p.m.

Got quite a bit done today.  

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
11/22/20 11:18 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Looks nice!