1 2 3 4 5 ... 18
kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/18/20 7:35 p.m.

Didn't have as much time to work tonight, but I managed to get a few rocks and some terrain built.  I'm waiting on an Amazon order of "Sculptamold" to blend it in a bit better before painting and landscaping.  I'm trying to get the "back edge" of the layout done first so I don't have to reach over completed scenery to work on it.  

Pic: 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/18/20 8:24 p.m.

Rock tip 2: suspended ceiling tiles can be broken into chunks to replicate rock strata. Glue them at jaunty angles for even more dramatic effect.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/18/20 8:50 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Rock tip 2: suspended ceiling tiles can be broken into chunks to replicate rock strata. Glue them at jaunty angles for even more dramatic effect.

Dear God that's genius!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/19/20 12:35 a.m.

And dirt cheap. Most places sell broken tiles at a serious discount.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/21/20 4:17 p.m.

On a semi-related note: Today, I got my son's computer and desk moved out of the storage room.  The result was open space.  So . . . for the first time in 15 years, I have a "shop" to work.  No, it's not fancy, but it's mine! 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/22/20 7:15 p.m.

Got a bit more done in the last few days.  First, we added some more rocks near bridge #1.

Finally started covering up the "pink foam".  I'm trying to get this particular section pretty much "done" because it will be impossible to get to later on.  

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/24/20 4:37 p.m.

My son asked today when we were going to build the interior of the train station, so I started working on it.  I'm calling this little vignette, "I'd like to speak with the manager."

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/24/20 7:46 p.m.

Here's the whole interior: 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/24/20 8:16 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Looking good  Are you going to add lighting to the building?

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/24/20 8:36 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Yeah, I built in some "dead space" so I could run wires where they wouldn't be visible.  

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/27/20 4:11 p.m.

Finished painting . . . lots and lots of painting.  Not completely happy with it, but it's done.

With a quarter for scale.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/27/20 5:08 p.m.

That is so rad.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/27/20 5:35 p.m.

BTW - just for giggles, I added a very, very small version of the "Hang In There" kitten poster to the "I'd like to speak with the manager" vignette.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/27/20 6:32 p.m.

HAhAHAHAAAHHh. Even if no one ever sees it, you know its there.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/27/20 8:32 p.m.

Station's done.  Lights are temporarily running off from a battery.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/28/20 3:30 p.m.

It took about 4 hours, but I moved the crossing we already had and added a second one.  Apparently, this is what Kazookid2 had in mind.  

Eventually, I have to build a water park to go between the signals, next to the train station.  For now, I'm celebrating the small victory of coming closer to figuring out what Kazookid2's vision of his railroad "world" looks like.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/29/20 8:50 p.m.

Today's project:  Grandma's house.  This one is a total scratch build: 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/31/20 9:00 p.m.

Ready for paint.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/1/20 8:11 a.m.

Nice touch having the Grandparents house on the layout. Do you have a picture of the real house that you'd be willing to share?

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
4/1/20 8:23 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
4/1/20 6:57 p.m.

Painted, and almost ready for the layout.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/2/20 9:07 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Cool. You captured it nicely. Very recognizable as Grandma's house. Now, what are your plans for the water park?

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
4/2/20 11:40 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Well . . . per Grandma and the rest of the in-laws, now I have to add Grandma's new "she shed".

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
4/2/20 9:18 p.m.

Carved the base terrain for "grandma's house".  Unfortunately, due to space constraints, Grandma's livin' pretty close to the tracks. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/2/20 10:13 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

As long as you don't make her live on the wrong side of them, things should be ok.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wc7SxeRj1iuk7ABIDIC3J6PorAobL8fdT56NJjJB5mlnlDijY3shbBlU3LJM8mtA