1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
8/11/20 9:05 p.m.

Tonight's "mini-project".  I primed the Kellogg project, and needed something to fiddle with while the paint dried, so I made a really small forklift.  (As much to see if I could do it as anything.  It will probably end up in one of the open bays on the building project.)

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
8/12/20 10:05 a.m.

My word this is impressive. I'm not a big model railroader but I appreciate the immense amount of detail that goes into them. 

Keep up the good work! 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
8/15/20 7:46 a.m.

Pretty much done with the "Kelloggs" project.  I may still add windows and some more detail in the open bays, and I'm still kicking around what to do with lighting.  Otherwise, this is pretty much how it's going to look:

We haven't picked the exact location yet, but this is definitely the look we were after: 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/20 10:36 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

That turned out great!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/20 11:54 a.m.

Dood, that's really coming out nice. Doing prototypical buildings is not easy. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
8/15/20 1:33 p.m.

Now the wall behind Kellogs needs to be painted like sky. Prime it white and use artist's acrylics. Cotton ball clouds about 8" up above, glued to the wall. Building is superb.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
8/15/20 1:53 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Kind of on the fence between painting and a photograph background, like one of these:  https://www.trainjunkies.com/

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/20 2:40 p.m.

Using mirrors is a creative way to make impossible depth real on a flat wall.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
8/29/20 8:04 p.m.

Got the building put down on the layout.  I also built some smaller "supporting" structures, did some groundwork and built a chainlink fence.  I'm still trying to figure out some exterior lighting for it.  Lighting and a bit more landscaping and it's done.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/29/20 10:18 p.m.

What about plastic fiberoptics bent into Js, painted silver for light poles? Or poked out of the building for spotlights?

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
8/30/20 7:23 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Fiberoptics are still a possibility.  I ended up ordering a set of 10 cheap LED "street lights" on Amazon yesterday.  I'll end up cutting off the "arm" portion of each light.  The challenge I anticipate is cutting the poles, which are metal, without cutting the wires, which are pretty thin according to the reviews.  I'm hoping the metal is soft enough I can score a ring around it with nippers and snap it by hand.  

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
8/30/20 4:34 p.m.

I'm kind of treating the lighting as a separate project, since I'll probably be doing street lights at the same time and I need to figure out wiring, soldering and a few other odds and ends to make it all work.  So I'm calling this particular project done:

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/7/20 8:10 p.m.

Got the basic lighting wiring done today.  Still have to go back and clean up the underside of the table, but everything works so far. . . 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/15/20 7:23 p.m.

I'm blaming all of you for this...

when it arrives it will get weathered and re-lettered for a fictional local branchline, and then I'll plan and build the layout. 

Look for a slowly updating build thread when it arrives.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/15/20 9:11 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Sweet!  What scale?

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/15/20 9:54 p.m.
kazoospec said:

In reply to Recon1342 :

Sweet!  What scale?

Original plan was On30, but due to space and cost, it'll be HO. Starting small with a switching diorama that can be added on to later...

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/16/20 8:33 p.m.

One of the hitches with N Scale is there are fewer options when it comes to buildings, lighting, cars, people, etc.  Since no one makes the street lights we need for by the train station/water park, and Kazookid2 wanted the "right kind", we have to make them.  Not 100% satisfied with them, but they got the KazooKid2 seal of approval, so I guess I'm good.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/17/20 6:30 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Those look pretty good...

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/19/20 4:41 p.m.

Got the four additional lights installed along the sidewalk by the train station/water park.  

I've decided that wiring small electronics requires steady hands, good eyesight and patience.  I have none of these.  Fortunately, I've overcome that with sheer stubbornness.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/19/20 4:56 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Dood! I'm having 80s HBO intro flashbacks!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/19/20 8:12 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to kazoospec :

Dood! I'm having 80s HBO intro flashbacks!

I loved the making of that intro. Still remember that.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/19/20 8:38 p.m.

This is probably the next project:

This will go next to the train station.  It measures out too big to do a "full scale" replica, so I'll probably end up scaling it down by about 40% so it fits in the space we have for it.  Hopefully, it won't be too obvious.  The cell tower next to it you can see in the background will give us something with some height to it and I'm going to try to top it with a flashing light to add some interest.  

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/20/20 7:10 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

I'm blaming all of you for this...

when it arrives it will get weathered and re-lettered for a fictional local branchline, and then I'll plan and build the layout. 

Look for a slowly updating build thread when it arrives.

It would be very easy for me to succumb to temptation and dig out my N scale stuff I had when I belonged to the N-trak club. Fortunately the model car build threads have me otherwise distracted.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
9/20/20 8:28 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

My dad worked at Midvale Steel before WWII.  Doesn't give a lot of substance to your story but It brought up a memory for me...  Thanks

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/20/20 7:21 p.m.

Got "The Rink" roughed in today.  Took about 4 hours.  It doesn't look like much in all gray.  I think it'll pop a bit when I get it painted, but it is sort of a boring building.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t7D3LeUT7hrQx6IbL0RSqtiRsKIoPWOrtbPXfDn241rdgvm9peEN73pNsmIe0W4W