GlennS HalfDork
Sept. 17, 2009 2:56 p.m.

Mazda 2 coming to the US.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/17/breaking-mazda2-coming-to-the-u-s/

Possibilities of a mazda speed 2? One can dream.

Sept. 17, 2009 2:57 p.m.

answer to the Fiat coming soon???

RossD HalfDork
Sept. 17, 2009 3:16 p.m.

The Fiesta looks better, IMO.

GlennS HalfDork
Sept. 17, 2009 3:21 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

But with the mazda 2 i think we have a greater chance of a 3 door option. I think the fiesta is only coming as a 5 door.

Rumnhammer Reader
Sept. 17, 2009 4:09 p.m.

^ +1 for the 3 door, I'm sick of only getting 5 door hatches in the US. I actually think the Mazda looks better then the Ford as well. Also the Mazda will likely have a more sporting tweeked suspension out of the box as well, since they usually do, as opposed to ford versions.

I too look forward to a Mazdaspeed 2 !!!

Chris Rummel

HappyAndy Reader
Sept. 17, 2009 11:28 p.m.
Rumnhammer wrote: ^ +1 for the 3 door, I'm sick of only getting 5 door hatches in the US. I actually think the Mazda looks better then the Ford as well. Also the Mazda will likely have a more sporting tweeked suspension out of the box as well, since they usually do, as opposed to ford versions. I too look forward to a Mazdaspeed 2 !!! Chris Rummel

I have little doubt that we will see a MS2 long before a fiesta RS

MitchellC HalfDork
Sept. 18, 2009 12:24 a.m.

I'm another three-door lover; I just can't get behind the proportions of 5-door hatches. I guess it's one of the reason's I can really get behind the Fiat 500.

integraguy HalfDork
Sept. 18, 2009 11:40 a.m.

It's already a done deal, the Fiesta will arrive first as a 4 door sedan, then as a 5 door hatch. I would've bought a 3 door Fiesta (just like my old '80 model), but Ford lost a sale with their decision to target family-type buyers only.

CAR magazine gives the new Fiesta 5 stars, and the Mazda 2 "only" 4. Some testers feel the Fiesta's electrically-powered steering let's it down, and the Mazda is let down (at least compared to the Ford), because it has no real performance versions/models.

CrackMonkey HalfDork
Sept. 18, 2009 12:16 p.m.

I'd rather have a 5-door. More functional.

GlennS HalfDork
Sept. 18, 2009 3:46 p.m.

I place a high premium on my friends not wanting to sit in the back seat of my car. It offers a strong incentive to take someone elses car out for the night.

The seats are still back there if i need them. But with three doors it makes it a bit of pain for my friends to get in them who tend to be well over 6 feet tall.

Now that functionality.

Slyp_Dawg New Reader
Sept. 18, 2009 11:37 p.m.

Glenn, you hit the nail on the head as to why I have little to no interest in 5 door hatches, other than the Subaru WRX, the Mazdaspeed3, and the up-coming Lancer Sportback. that's part of the appeal of the normal-length Mini, sure you can fit 4 guys who are over 6' tall into one (I think anyway, never tried it), but honestly, if you're faced with crawling in the back seat through the front seat, I would imagine most would choose to pass go and collect $200 and drive your own car. same deal with the new 2 door Wrangler, I clambered into the back of one of those today, and it was doable, with a bit of monkey-barring off the factory rollcage (soft top with the top down), but it definitely would not be something I would want to do often.

anyway, back to the point of the thread, I do like the looks of the Mazda2 over the Fiesta, and I do definitely wish it came in a 3 door hatch for the US market. of course, I wish the euro-spec Focus could be had on this side of the pond, but that's another rant for another thread

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Born In Brooklyn: A Championship RX-7 From an Unlikely Place

4 hours ago in Articles

A Mazda RX-7 autocrosser from the middle of New York City.

GRM Live Tonight on Wednesday, June 28: The Science Behind Fasteners

13 hours ago in News

They hold all of your work together, but do you know when to use each type of fastener?

Your Projects: E46 M3 Transformation

17 hours ago in News

Watch this E46 M3 go from tuned street car to winged time trial racer in just one page.

You Need This: Indian Flat-Track Race Bike, Front Brake Optional

18 hours ago in News

We know, it's not a car but, still, it’s cool.

Autocross: It's a Jeep Thing

1 day ago in Articles

What’s a yellow Jeep doing on an autocross course?

Tech Tips: 2005-'14 Ford Mustang GT

1 day ago in Articles

Want to learn some speed tricks for the S197 Ford Mustang GT? We brought in an expert.

Removing Clear Bra From Project Rallycross Focus

1 day ago in Project Cars

Our latest to-do item was motivated by self-respect rather than speed.

2017 Ram 1500 Night Edition Crew Cab

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Half-ton trucks are just getting bigger and bigger, aren't they. This Ram 150, dubbed "Night Edition," is really an optioned-out ...

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Action Cam Guide

2 days ago in Articles

Capture your on-track memories with today’s latest and greatest

Reader's Ride of the Week: Troyer Modified Hillclimber

2 days ago in News

It's a circle track car that's been convinced to turn left and right, and go up hills.

You Need This: Track-Ready 1991 Mazda Miata for $5500

2 days ago in News

What’s better than a Miata? How about a Miata that’s ready for the track?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
O9vPWo6wL0b1IkUDa6734lRHN22AQFfU