1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/17/18 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

If you play your cards right, no one has to know.  Do you remember the folks in Texas (or wherever)  who won the last titanic payout?  Neither do I.  I'm a pretty anonymous person.  As long as I don't make a point of driving my new orange Lambo with the top down and a supermodel in the passenger seat throwing handfuls of $100 bills out the back, there's no reason anybody has to know who I am.

I know some really rich folks.  They don't worry about me asking for money, because I don't.  Choose your new friends well and it won't be an issue. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/17/18 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

depending on the state, you can put together a trust and never release your actual name as the winner. That's an option here in Indiana. That would be the option I took. Then again.... I don't really care. I only truly like a small handful of people and the rest I find obnoxious and annoying. So they'd stay my friends and I'd be fine. 

I can tell you I'd be doing One Lap every year in something crazy and Korean. Like, absolutely ape-E36 M3 nutty. Like a first gen Tucson AWD trans and rear diff under a Tiburon and a turbo 2.0L making 300whp. Just because. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/17/18 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Yes, you tend to find new friends.  You tend to find rich friends.  Friends with enough of their own money they don't really care about how much you have.  This doesn't have to be a good or bad thing. It's just change.  As much we might not want to admit it, coming into that amount of money will change you. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
10/17/18 2:34 p.m.
Robbie said:

Two very important things about winning the lottery.

1. You can have no new friends after winning, because you don't want anyone to take your winnings.

2. You can have no new friends after winning, because you can never again believe that someone wants to be your friend because they actually like you.

MY goal with winning the lottery would be to take a few mil so I could not hafta work anymore but earn a similar paycheck, and then DUMP the rest into family and friends (similar setup - give them enough to not have to work) and world level charities as quick as possible so that I could get out from under 1 and 2 as quick as possible.

Who the hell said I need friends?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/17/18 2:45 p.m.

While I can see where it could be an issue, I don't think it would be for me. For one thing, I really don't think I'd go flaunting it in public. Instead of a Miata, I'd have a Fiat 124 or an M3. Flashy, but not ridiculous. Instead of the current GS, I'd have a newer one. My wife's car would stay the same. We wouldn't keep the boats at home; the house while it would get upgraded would still probably be smaller than the McMansions we have here. 

About the only people who would even know something was up would be my family--but that is because I'd buy a vacation house next to my parents and aunts/uncles. Hell, I'd probably buy back Grandpas old place too so that we could have more space for more family.

(Seriously Robbie, on the outside folks see that you have 2 Honda Odditys, 3 furrin sports cars, and a weird SAAB thing, and you DD a Jaaaaaaaaag--how would that change if they all got a little nicer? You'd still be the one working on them).

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/17/18 2:50 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

AMEN! wait.... no I still need some. But I already have them .

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
10/17/18 3:07 p.m.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/18 3:40 p.m.

I’m not going to win so I’m making my own fun.  My cousin posted his ticket on Facebook so I bought five with the same numbers just Incase it hits.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/17/18 3:58 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Be sure to post all 5 on FaceBalls and make his head explode.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/18 4:30 p.m.
Wally said:

I’m not going to win so I’m making my own fun.  My cousin posted his ticket on Facebook so I bought five with the same numbers just Incase it hits.

Goddamn man, you are savage!  Can I buy one of your five?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/17/18 4:41 p.m.

Wally, you are my favorite evil genius!  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/17/18 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

So, now there are 6 tickets with the same numbers.  You have therefore assure that if your cousin wins, instead of $1B all to himself, the most he can personally win is 1/6th or $1.66 M

True evil genius! 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/18 5:56 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Wally :

So, now there are 6 tickets with the same numbers.  You have therefore assure that if your cousin wins, instead of $1B all to himself, the most he can personally win is 1/6th or $1.66 M

True evil genius! 

How is less than $2M equal to 1/6 of $900M?  Is that "New Math"?  I get $150M * 6 = $900M.  ;)  :)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/17/18 6:04 p.m.

Oops, math in my head

Some times I type faster than I think (and I'm a really slow typer) 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/18 6:37 p.m.

You guys will know if i win because i’ll actually show up to the challenge with a well sorted car.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/18/18 6:37 a.m.
Patrick said:

You guys will know if i win because i’ll actually show up to the challenge with a well sorted car.  

You'll know if I win as I'll vanish of the face of the earth for the best part of a year while i get a team of lawyers and accountants to put everything in place before I claim it then vanish again until the press dies down.  Then I'll start building magazine article worthy cars.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/18/18 6:55 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Patrick said:

You'll know if I win as I'll vanish of the face of the earth for the best part of a year while i get a team of lawyers and accountants to put everything in place before I claim it then vanish again until the press dies down.  Then I'll start building magazine article worthy cars.

This is pretty much how I'd do it as well.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
10/18/18 6:56 a.m.

Our work group ended up with 23 people, at $20 ea, so we split the buy on Powerball last night and Mega tomorrow night . We actually won last night.

$7.00

Not sure how I'm going to spend my 30.4 cents...

With that many people in the group it's not about actually winning the money. It's about not being the only one left working here if they DO hit it...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/18/18 7:26 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

Our work group ended up with 23 people, at $20 ea, so we split the buy on Powerball last night and Mega tomorrow night . We actually won last night.

$7.00

Not sure how I'm going to spend my 30.4 cents...

With that many people in the group it's not about actually winning the money. It's about not being the only one left working here if they DO hit it...

Roll the $7 into more tickets 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/18/18 7:38 a.m.

I've figured it out! I know what I'll do when I win.

Invest a healthy chunk into technology that can normalize the audio of voices and sound fx in movies so you can hear people talk and NOT blow your ear drums out when something actiony happens. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/18 7:47 a.m.

I bought 20 tickets last night. That money can't be any worse of an investment than the Kmart stock I used to own.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/18 7:50 a.m.

After thinking about it if I won I have no clue what I would do. It would be an absolute life changing thing.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/18 7:52 a.m.
RevRico said:

I've figured it out! I know what I'll do when I win.

Invest a healthy chunk into technology that can normalize the audio of voices and sound fx in movies so you can hear people talk and NOT blow your ear drums out when something actiony happens. 

YouTube needs that. You could sell it to google and make more $$$. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/18/18 8:17 a.m.
ultraclyde said:
Robbie said:

1. You can have no new friends after winning, because you don't want anyone to take your winnings.

2. You can have no new friends after winning, because you can never again believe that someone wants to be your friend because they actually like you.

MY goal with winning the lottery would be to take a few mil so I could not hafta work anymore but earn a similar paycheck, and then DUMP the rest into family and friends (similar setup - give them enough to not have to work) and world level charities as quick as possible so that I could get out from under 1 and 2 as quick as possible.

Because sitting in your bathtub full of money by yourself gets old after awhile.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
10/18/18 8:57 a.m.
Ian F said:
ultraclyde said:
Robbie said:

Because sitting in your bathtub full of money by yourself gets old after awhile.

Oooh, the Scrooge McDuck bath!   

I’ve had enough of doing things through poverty so I’m willing to try living the life of idle riches.  Just to prove it wouldn’t (entirely) ruin me.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o5QJm8kOCrrXgoH3py6NdHxIGaCGy9opFYbFQmRalxePppWI5Ej7Y8YDP1KcfJaq