1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/18 9:26 a.m.

I'd buy every car on the Atlanta craigslist and mail one to each of you. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/18/18 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

When you have a bathtub full of money, you never need to be alone in it.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/18/18 4:36 p.m.

Ooooof, it's now at $970 million with over 24 hours to go.  I'm thinking it'll hit a billion before it's all said and done.

While I joke that I know what I'd do if I won, the amount of money is so staggering, I'd be overwhelmed.  So glad I live in a state where a blind trust is an option.  When I played with the idea last time the powerball was at this amount, I figured the wife and I would probably spend about half a million a year and be really, really, really happy.  After blowing a couple of million at the start, I honestly can't imagine spending more that $500k.  And THAT would still be a struggle.  I guess people just buy stuff, but just buying stuff never really appealed to me.  I don't need a solid gold toilet or a 10,000 square foot house.  (1,000 sqft house and 10,000 sqft garage/workshop however.....)  Mine would be spent on traveling and experiencing.  Then I'd be really happy doing some type of auto restoration/wrenching for the rest of my life.  Granted, it'd probably be restoring Bugatti's instead of Bugeye's, but I'd still be spending most of my days covered in grease, sweat and paint..... 

A LOT of the extra would go to charities or, more likely, seeding investment funds for charities to last them a very long time.

-Rob

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
10/18/18 11:40 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

Yea, that's well and truly what we used to call "berkeley you" money.

I'm not sure I can even process what I'd do with that kind of capital either.

Buying my neighbors houses and bulldozing them after the shady as hell property deal last year is about the best I can come up with. Besides school and funds for the kiddos anyway.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
10/19/18 1:49 a.m.

In my state that would require me to spend over 33 million dollars a year ( after taxes)  or almost $100,000 a day for the next 30 years,  that is assuming I somehow manage to live to be 100  

Or. find a really worthy charity to burden with that sort of income.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/19/18 12:27 p.m.

It's officially $1 billion with a B.

I'm now shopping super yachts, and realizing a billion dollars isn't E36 M3. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/19/18 12:32 p.m.
RevRico said:

It's officially $1 billion with a B.

I'm now shopping super yachts, and realizing a billion dollars isn't E36 M3. 

20k a foot, 15 years ago. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
10/19/18 12:45 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

A very high percentage of major winners declare bankruptcy in 5 years or so. So dealing with that much money is a serious burden. 

Our children aren’t well trained on how to handle wealth nor are most of us. We can pretend winning won’t change us but there is no way it won’t.  To go from a how can I pay my bills and  provide for my family. To a life where your first concern is not to be ripped off is a radicle change. Finding a good deal on a used car stops being fun and rewarding and becomes a waste of valuable time. 

I’m 70,  if I live to be a hundred I’d have to spend $100,000 plus a day  to spend it all.  Giving it to charity is usually transferring your burden to them. If you gave 1/2 of it away they would need to make effective use of $50,000 a day!  

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/19/18 12:48 p.m.
frenchyd said:

A very high percentage of major winners declare bankruptcy in 5 years or so.

Half of all people are of below average intelligence. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
10/19/18 12:58 p.m.

I would have to quit my job so I could build us a moddest home.  With a moddest garage, and get a Toterhome with a trailer so we can travel. 

Also, I would put majority into something that I can draw monthly payments of interest out to live on.

Man, I really need to win ;)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/19/18 1:00 p.m.

I'd have so much fun giving it away. $100 tips at restaurants, anonymous donation to my local libray, scholarships at the community college. Yeah, I'd give a lot of it away. And love every minute of it. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
10/19/18 1:15 p.m.

Well,   I decided to donate my $2 this morning.      Give me a 200K cash winning and I'll be very happy.

RevRico
10/19/18 1:18 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Eh, I'm 31, IF i live to 61 to get fully paid, it would be a miracle. Not much of my life will change though. Still be the same boring loser, just living in a house that isn't falling down around me and not crossing my fingers every time I start my vehicles hoping they'll be running that day. 

Fence in a few square miles in a state that doesn't get snow and has more sane pot laws, hire a local farm to provide me with fresh meat and vegetables, and never have to leave my compound again. Funny, same thing I'd do with a million dollars, just a bigger plot of land. 

A billion dollars just isn't what it used to be. Sure it sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. Not even enough to get you on the top 560 richest americans list these days. Hell, that unfunny idiot Adam Sandler is worth more than that. 

I don't want much out of life. I want to be left alone, more than anything. A proper self sufficient homestead so I never have to deal with humans again would make me the happiest man on earth. In Northern Nevada, I could do just fine with a million bucks. Last I looked a fenced in square mile with utilities already run to it and ability to dig a well was running $100K, for example. I know because I almost bought one before I found out there was a baby coming. Some earth moving equipment, a few in ground fuel tanks, build a nice little shack to live in and a pretty kick ass garage, and call it a life. The few times a year I feel social, call up the boys and do some dirt racing, otherwise,  just continue my life of hermitude. 

The only thing I've wanted more in my life is to leave the planet for good. And while the payout could make that happen, I don't trust the current generation of cryostasis technology because I haven't seen anyone brought back to life yet, so I'm stuck on this rock, barring any sort of massive breakthrough. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/19/18 1:37 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Adam Sandler is worth more than a billion dollars?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/18 1:47 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to RevRico :

Yeah, I said the same thing.  I mean, billion with a B is a lot of money.

AngryCorvair
10/19/18 1:48 p.m.

I threw in a $20 today.

RevRico
10/19/18 1:51 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Mndsm said:

In reply to RevRico :

Yeah, I said the same thing.  I mean, billion with a B is a lot of money.

I stand corrected. Back when I was in 8th grade he was the last person on the top 100 richest list, with just over a billion. Now reports say between $360-450 million net worth. Which makes sense, he's made a lot of straight GARBAGE the past 18 years. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/19/18 2:08 p.m.

At a billion I'd purchase a Koenigsegg, sell it on Atlanta CL for $2500 and wait and see what one of you chooses to sell off it to recoupe. 

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
10/19/18 2:20 p.m.

Probably going to pay my math tax on the way home tonight.  $2 is cheaper than most entertainment events, and its now billion with a b.  Ill probably pin the ticket on the wall at work.  

Background reading (scroll down to user "blakeclass" comment) for anyone interested in what to do if they win and how frightening it can be:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/24vzgl/you_just_won_a_656_million_dollar_lottery_what_do/#ampf=undefined

Good luck, and if that reading saves your ass when you win, paypal me a million or two and we'll call it even :p

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/19/18 3:13 p.m.

Guy in front of me at the quickie mart bought 300 tickets. The machine ran out of paper twice.

AngryCorvair
10/19/18 3:15 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Guy in front of me at the quickie mart bought 300 tickets. The machine ran out of paper twice.

i hope that was for the lottery club at his office.   did he smell like he worked in an office?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/19/18 3:18 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Nope. I am pretty sure that was his entire paycheck for the month.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
10/19/18 3:22 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Wow, that's time for an intervention.  I feel bad for the dude, gambling the rent like that is no bueno.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/19/18 3:29 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
EastCoastMojo said:

i hope that was for the lottery club at his office.   did he smell like he worked in an office?

I ran a Powerball pool at work for close to ten years. $10/ week/ ten guys. Kept a bank on the winnings and played extra tickets over $100M.

Best I can figure we threw over $56K at Powerball... while we did win small stuff, our biggest winner was only $500. indecision

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/19/18 3:46 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I'm amazed by the number of people I see spending anywhere from $20-50 on lottery tickets EVERY DAMN DAY when I'm buying coffee on the way to work.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IfDLPHYGNJTnYLjImpgdWIwrTri4yEPc2K6qjWrmjZhap6Q4ZBA1NwpTmgONqKnl