1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 ... 276
barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
6/1/20 3:04 p.m.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 4:03 p.m.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/1/20 4:29 p.m.

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 7:07 p.m.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 8:04 a.m.
nderwater said:

That's a poor design. Where's the cup holders and beer cooler??

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 8:19 a.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:
nderwater said:

That's a poor design. Where's the cup holders and beer cooler??

I was thinking it would lend itself well to a keg in the middle. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 8:26 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

Perfect!  I stand corrected!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/2/20 8:57 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

what if the barrels are actually full kegs already tapped and the center is filled with ice. Then you have 6 taps in the middle of the table. My gawd that's brilliant. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/2/20 8:58 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

what if the barrels are actually full kegs already tapped and the center is filled with ice. Then you have 6 taps in the middle of the table. My gawd that's brilliant. 

Except for the sinking part...

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
6/2/20 9:00 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Will a keg of beer sink or float? 

Never having put one in a tub larger than the keg itself, I don't know the answer.

Would light beer respond differently like diet pop does?

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 9:32 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Will a keg of beer sink or float? 

Never having put one in a tub larger than the keg itself, I don't know the answer.

Would light beer respond differently like diet pop does?

I know when ice fishing, you bring light beer. Why? Light beer floats, regular sinks. 

No Time
No Time Dork
6/2/20 10:03 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

what if the barrels are actually full kegs already tapped and the center is filled with ice. Then you have 6 taps in the middle of the table. My gawd that's brilliant. 

Except for the sinking part...

Drink faster, they will float as they empty

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/2/20 10:04 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

A Half Barrel Keg weighs 160lbs when full.  (https://www.kegworks.com/blog/guide-to-beer-keg-sizes/)

I don't know what the interior volume of one is.  I know it holds 15.5 gallons, but there is some air space inside the keg as well to pressurize.  Lets say it displaces 20 gallons of water (unlikely).  That's 166lbs. 

So in that case, a keg will float.  But it will only provide ~4lbs of bouyancy.  If you constructed that thing with kegs you would immediately sink it when you sat on it.

If it displaced 19 gallons of water (158.5lbs), it would sink.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/2/20 10:05 a.m.
No Time said:
ProDarwin said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

what if the barrels are actually full kegs already tapped and the center is filled with ice. Then you have 6 taps in the middle of the table. My gawd that's brilliant. 

Except for the sinking part...

Drink faster, they will float as they empty

True.  But make sure you pee it out, or else you are just moving the weight from one spot to another

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/2/20 10:22 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
No Time said:
ProDarwin said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

what if the barrels are actually full kegs already tapped and the center is filled with ice. Then you have 6 taps in the middle of the table. My gawd that's brilliant. 

Except for the sinking part...

Drink faster, they will float as they empty

True.  But make sure you pee it out, or else you are just moving the weight from one spot to another

That's basically bailing.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
6/2/20 10:38 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
RevRico said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Will a keg of beer sink or float? 

Never having put one in a tub larger than the keg itself, I don't know the answer.

Would light beer respond differently like diet pop does?

I know when ice fishing, you bring light beer. Why? Light beer floats, regular sinks. 

That's what I was curious about. I know diet pop floats while regular sinks, and I always heard it was due to the sugar content, though how that makes a difference inside a sealed can eludes me. Didn't know if it rang true for light beer and regular.

No Time
No Time Dork
6/2/20 11:16 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

The difference would need to be the density for one to float and the other to sink, not volume. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/2/20 12:17 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I used to drink iced tea by the gallon.  Each gallon of tea contained something like 1720 calories!  That equates to about a pound of sugar.

A gallon tea did indeed weigh nine pounds.

 

Artificial sweeteners are a lot sweeter than sugar, so less of it gets used, so the liquid mix weighs less per volume.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/2/20 12:21 p.m.

Here's a link to a discussion on the experiment form a college physics dept :http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~lecturedemonstrations/Composer/Pages/36.34.html#:~:text=Dissolved%20carbon%20dioxide%2C%20in%20both,enough%20to%20sink%20the%20can.

Sugar water (Coke) has a higher density than plain water and sinks. Artificial sweetener in water has a density much closer to water, so the small bit of air in the cans is enough to keep it floating.

Want your cokes to float? add salt to the water, increasing its density.

But I would not have guessed that light beer and regular beer have different densities. Unless that was a bad joke and we took it WAY to seriously.

 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 12:26 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

Here's a link to a discussion on the experiment form a college physics dept :http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~lecturedemonstrations/Composer/Pages/36.34.html#:~:text=Dissolved%20carbon%20dioxide%2C%20in%20both,enough%20to%20sink%20the%20can.

Sugar water (Coke) has a higher density than plain water and sinks. Artificial sweetener in water has a density much closer to water, so the small bit of air in the cans is enough to keep it floating.

Want your cokes to float? add salt to the water, increasing its density.

But I would not have guessed that light beer and regular beer have different densities. Unless that was a bad joke and we took it WAY to seriously.

 

No sir, no joke. This was not exhaustive studying... IIRC, it was Busch Light floats, Hamms and Busch Heavy sank. 

We lost at least 2 beers to the bottom that day. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/2/20 12:29 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said;

We lost at least 2 beers to the bottom that day. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/2/20 12:32 p.m.

Its not like it matters.. even if you filled the kegs with Diet soda, they not only have to float, they each have to hold up part of a person, part of a table, a glass of beer, part of an outboard engine, etc.

 

 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/2/20 12:32 p.m.

 China and Russia right now......


if this is remotely political, let me know but right or left, this upheaval doesn't benefit Americans. Hopefully it'll be seen as it's intended, as a nudge towards unity, love and lifting each other up. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/2/20 12:52 p.m.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/2/20 1:04 p.m.

1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 ... 276
Our Preferred Partners
gGlidZRLBqqjAprzqsQI5jxrcBZHAZV5wjblepLAJYVXOBSeISCwdb0Hn0AYVvXG