stroker
stroker UberDork
6/8/20 8:13 p.m.
Toyman01 (Generally Supportive Dude) said:

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/8/20 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

That's all well and good, and good for him making a hugely successful song. Many many folks aspire to have a #1 hit on ANY chart. I have no problem with folks liking what they like, but I don't like it. To be fair, I don't like most of mr. Danzig's music either. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
6/8/20 8:36 p.m.

It's possible I've seen this here before (the thread is over 250 pages long after all), but funny on a lot of levels:

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'Emily Noel Was At At the gas station and found these bullets on the ground so took them home. did some researchand found out they're from an automatic assault rifle. Really?! People make me sick. How are you just gonna let these kinds just of things lie around Smdh!'

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/8/20 9:33 p.m.
Mndsm said:
barefootskater said:

I like to think of Old Town Road as one of the most anti-establishment songs of all time. Hear me out- 

Young black man makes country song based on things he studied. Song catches serious heat, starts charting on the country 100. Country gets its panties in a wad and kicks the song off, saying it's not country. Billy Ray Cyrus, in possibly the biggest berkeley you i've seen in a while, hops on the track for a remix, outpacing the original by an order of magnitude, and making it a bonafide country hit in the process. The only way you were getting more country than that was if Merle Haggard was on it. So- we have a black guy and Billy Ray hitting #1, and staying there- and then the guy comes out as gay. No one on this earth would have ever picked a gay black man to hit #1 in country, let alone AT ALL. Pretty awesome for a dude that bought the beat online, if you ask me. 

Been plenty of country-themed rap and hip-hop songs by young black guys. This is the only one to my knowledge that ever charted on the Country hot 100, definitely the only one to chart #1.  Kid may not be a musical or lyrical genius, but he found his niche and knocked it out of the park..

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
6/8/20 9:54 p.m.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
6/8/20 10:06 p.m.
barefootskater said:

"WAAAAHHHHHH ONLY TWO KEYS, SO SIMPLE ECT"

those two keys:

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/8/20 10:37 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:
Mndsm said:
barefootskater said:

I like to think of Old Town Road as one of the most anti-establishment songs of all time. Hear me out- 

Young black man makes country song based on things he studied. Song catches serious heat, starts charting on the country 100. Country gets its panties in a wad and kicks the song off, saying it's not country. Billy Ray Cyrus, in possibly the biggest berkeley you i've seen in a while, hops on the track for a remix, outpacing the original by an order of magnitude, and making it a bonafide country hit in the process. The only way you were getting more country than that was if Merle Haggard was on it. So- we have a black guy and Billy Ray hitting #1, and staying there- and then the guy comes out as gay. No one on this earth would have ever picked a gay black man to hit #1 in country, let alone AT ALL. Pretty awesome for a dude that bought the beat online, if you ask me. 

Been plenty of country-themed rap and hip-hop songs by young black guys. This is the only one to my knowledge that ever charted on the Country hot 100, definitely the only one to chart #1.  Kid may not be a musical or lyrical genius, but he found his niche and knocked it out of the park..

And my favorite part? He occupies the #1 all time longest spot on the top of the billboard charts, knocking down everyone's favorite succubus, Mariah Carey AND Justin beiber, who were tied at 16 weeks a piece. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/8/20 10:59 p.m.

What I dug was what happened with the hip hop community, which can be notoriously homophobic . They claimed him as one of their own, and how country music was giving him the runaround.  Then he comes out as gay. So many shouting down Nashville ran the hell away from anything Nas X.  He, without any provocation, turned the music community and all its BS in on itself. That's some serious punk rock.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/8/20 11:32 p.m.

I maintain that the most punk rock song of all time is "F*** You, I'm Famous" by shooter Jennings. Oddly, also a country artist. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/9/20 5:29 a.m.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/9/20 1:38 p.m.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/9/20 4:15 p.m.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/10/20 3:19 p.m.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/10/20 3:20 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/10/20 4:21 p.m.
Appleseed said:

What I dug was what happened with the hip hop community, which can be notoriously homophobic . They claimed him as one of their own, and how country music was giving him the runaround.  Then he comes out as gay. So many shouting down Nashville ran the hell away from anything Nas X.  He, without any provocation, turned the music community and all its BS in on itself. That's some serious punk rock.

I've never heard Old Town Road and plan to work pretty hard to keep it that way, but that's a great story.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
6/10/20 4:43 p.m.
Duke said:
Appleseed said:

I've never heard Old Town Road and plan to work pretty hard to keep it that way, but that's a great story.

Even better is how much math and thought he put into the song itself.

He knew that there were ads, and ads were a specific length of time. He knew that he'd have to make it catchy so people would get it stuck in their head, so he made the chorus a SPECIFIC length so you'd hear the whole thing in a tiktok ad to remix it; actual viral marketing, and not just stupid hype. This article goes into some detail too, involving how he used remixes too. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/10/20 6:17 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
Duke said:
Appleseed said:

Even better is how much math and thought he put into the song itself.

He knew that there were ads, and ads were a specific length of time. He knew that he'd have to make it catchy so people would get it stuck in their head, so he made the chorus a SPECIFIC length so you'd hear the whole thing in a tiktok ad to remix it; actual viral marketing, and not just stupid hype. This article goes into some detail too, involving how he used remixes too. 

In my eyes this is a problem more than praise. I hadn't looked into the situation because I'm not interested in the song. Still, not surprising at all really. Most pop music is written (programmed) to be as successful as possible. It isn't written with talent or passion, but with a known formula. It isn't music, but Muzak. The fact that billy ray sellout jumped on board should confirm this if there are any doubts. Lil whoever is a better marketer than artist, which can be appreciated in its own regard, but anyone shouting "brilliant songwriter" is applying the wrong kind of praise. I'm not saying the guy doesn't have talent, or that he hasn't overcome trials and oppression, but success on the charts (which is both political, and purchasable) doesn't make one a successful musician. Not in my eyes anyway. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/20 6:42 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

All good music is math with feeling.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/10/20 6:47 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I can agree with that. I'm not saying it's bad music (how could that even be defined?) even if I am saying I don't care for it. Catchy? Yes. Dance-able? Sure! Popular? Absolutely. Creative? Eh. Impressive? No. 

*edit

its a little like saying he did math with this:

While it is solid, and important to understand, it is much less *strugglingfortherightwordhere* than if he did his math with this:

which can make much more beautiful and useful formulas. 

1 ... 254 255 256 257 258 ... 1584

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1AI3bueMT3RKcKgCrv7Px6HNhngZ0GyM5uJk9J6RAs3YZuVE8IEIiDAkwhthgHTv